The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I posted my acquisition of Koontz 17” 7 string #2 - 2/4/78 build. Wanted to share how it looks after restoration work. There wasn’t anything wrong with it, but I needed to be spruced up a bit. Remarkable sound, touch, and of course all the ornate detailings.

Also something interesting. This is one of (what I thought) were 2 7s he built, but I have recently learned that Scott Chinery had serial number 3 (picture of the page of his book included) and I believe the 1st is in the Krive collection (video of Ed Laub playing)

Based on the date of the Chinery 7 (May ‘78), and the same single scroll headstock design (something I believe Koontz did later in his career), it seems that these three likely sat on the bench at the same time. Kind of interesting how that comes together. The one I’ve got here was built for Sams close friend Jack Cecchini - his name is etched in the tailpiece - and it is a bit fancier with the abalone shell inlay and ornate trussrod cover. I love geeking out about all these little details.

To conclude - I’d like to tie in a quote from Jimmy D’Aquisto from Scott Chinery’s book on oval holes. All 3 Koontz 7s are ovals and he’s known for building a lot in that style. What Jimmy says here certainly applies to this instrument - it’s a surreal sound, as if amplified, and with such great sustain and bell-like tones in the higher frets on the e string.

“D’Aquisto explained his passion for oval sound holes by likening them to a squeezed garden hose; the sound, like the water in the hose, would come out more powerfully.”

Have a good Saturday all - happy geeking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Like WOW! I’d sell my first born son for that guitar (if he were worth anywhere near as much). Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

What a beauty! Makes me want to play just from looking at the pictures. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Like WOW! I’d sell my first born son for that guitar (if he were worth anywhere near as much). Thanks for sharing.
    My first born, and second, make sure I don’t play it as much as I’d like but hopefully can get them into this and pass it down.

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous!

User Info Menu

Just beautiful!

I remember calling Koontz in '72 or '73,
    after hearing Pat Martino playing the guitar.

A new one would cost I think $1500 or
    so, so I backed out but would be happy to pay that now for a new one.
    At that time I was buying new Gibson 335's for $350.00

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Just beautiful!

Man 1500 now for one... a time machine would be very helpful, I'd buy a D'Aquisto or.. 20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Just beautiful!

Yes, $1500 was a lot of dough back then, I was offered a '59 'burst for not much more than that back then! And I paid $420 for a brand new '68 LP Custom.

My teacher at that time, Harry Leahey (great guy and great teacher RIP) had a Koontz, that thing looked huge to me then compared to my LP Custom. I wasn't really going for that sound back then, but I'd sure take one now!

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Yes, $1500 was a lot of dough back then, I was offered a '59 'burst for not much more than that back then! And I paid $420 for a brand new '68 LP Custom.

My teacher at that time, Harry Leahey (great guy and great teacher RIP) had a Koontz, that thing looked huge to me then compared to my LP Custom. I wasn't really going for that sound back then, but I'd sure take one now!
    Harry Leahey was quite the player. It open to it, I’d love to chat with you about your lessons and his approach.