The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I've pondered selling my old BUD and getting the new 10" version but OTOH there are nice extension cabs that serve the same purpose : add bottom end, help spread the sound and add sheer volume.
    Since I can't try out the various speaker-sizes I ask YOU what your experiences are re the best combination with the 6.5" speaker that's in the original BUD amp. With "best combination" I mean one that sounds balanced and more or less retains the basic sound qualities of the stand-alone BUD amp ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, the Bud/Blu with an extension cab is a glorious thing!

You're in the EU -- talk with "Gitterbug" about a Toob; I think the 10" would be great!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Marc! I was thinking the same but too shy/slow to fire off a PM yet. Just finished another TOOB 10S; you know how good they sound.

User Info Menu

I have both a Blu 6 and a Blu 10. I also have three Raezer's Edge cabinets, a NY8 ER, Stealth10ER and Stealth 12 ER. I have used both the 8" and 10" cabinets along with the Blu 6. Both add headroom and sound dispersion. The 10" adds more bass. If you like more bass, go with the 10".

If you sometimes use an acoustic guitar and want to engage the tweeter in the Henriksen, I would advise having the same capability in your extension cabinet.

User Info Menu

I'd recommend a big cabinet - 4x12", 1x15", 2x12" or a big 1x12" box.
    Beautiful, functional furniture.
    Air is air. The more of it you move, the better it sounds.

User Info Menu

Moving air can be over-rated. A hurricane moves a lot of air, but it's not a pleasant experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Moving air can be over-rated. A hurricane moves a lot of air, but it's not a pleasant experience.
    I suppose it depends on what kind of Hurricane.
    Attached Images Attached Images My BUD with an extension cab - 10" or 8" or 6" ?-hurricane-jpg My BUD with an extension cab - 10" or 8" or 6" ?-antique-sound-lab-hurricane-jpg 

User Info Menu

I actually have the same question as the OP. I have an RE Nighthawk 10 in extension cab for a Bud that works well but does change the balance (more bass, as noted above). It’d be great to hear from others who’ve found a compatible small ext cab. For the small places I hope to play in again if the pandemic ever ends and if any of them are still in business at that point. Or just to move a…little…more air in my practice room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulHintz
    I actually have the same question as the OP. I have an RE Nighthawk 10 in extension cab for a Bud that works well but does change the balance (more bass, as noted above). It’d be great to hear from others who’ve found a compatible small ext cab. For the small places I hope to play in again if the pandemic ever ends and if any of them are still in business at that point. Or just to move a…little…more air in my practice room.
    Yesterday I tried a different approach : I sent the line-out of the BUD into a 10“ active monitor cab I had in my garage. This has a Bass/Treble EQ and is adequately powered with 250 watts. I adjusted the bass down somewhat and now I can double the percieved volume, spread the sound around and saved a few €€€ that way - it works fine for me !

User Info Menu

I am presently putting together a 1 x 8" extension cab with an Eminence Alpha 8-A for my Blu.

Thanks again to Jim Soloway for his suggestions and guidance.

This is a very interesting and helpful tread.

User Info Menu

Do you have a specific plan re the size of the cab and a possible reflex opening ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Do you have a specific plan re the size of the cab and a possible reflex opening ?
    I am starting with the "carcass" of an small, old SS amp that will be "sealed" and has an internal volume of about 1 cubic foot. Nothing very scientific or exciting. I am not a skilled player and am only playing in the basement/rec room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    I am presently putting together a 1 x 8" extension cab with an Eminence Alpha 8-A for my Blu.
    You might consider a Vox BC108 cabinet. I bought one a few years ago and love it for small gigs and as an extension cab for my Little Jazz. It’s a nicely made box that’s sealed except for a cutout in the back that serves as a handle and a port. It has decent bass that’s not at all fat or flabby.

The stock speaker’s not bad, but I loaded it with an Eminence Eight 15 that really sounds great. I’ve gigged with it under my Elf head, so it should take the Bud with no problem. If you have doubts about a low wattage speaker, there are some great neo 8s now that are rated a lot higher.

For convenience, I put a black dogbone amp handle on the top. It fits perfectly in a cheap insulated black nylon cooler bag, with a few inches on one end for my Elf and cables.

My BUD with an extension cab - 10" or 8" or 6" ?-b87db5e5-e87e-46b9-9f3f-0a3747903869-jpeg

User Info Menu

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have bought the Alpha 8" and a friend is donating the cab.

User Info Menu

I run mine through a Raezers Edge 12-ER and it sounds great. But it's too big to haul around, I just happened to own it already. So I use the combo at home. BTW, I made two cool little plates to set the bud on. It helps disperse the sound coming out of the bottom port on the bud 6. One is the exact same size as the bud and fits right in the case with the amp. The other one is a little bigger and fits in my gear bag. very thin plywood, stained black and polyurethaned. I use the bud with a very loud big band and it does fine. The guys keep coming over to look at it and can't believe it. Also, I ordered a basic thin slip cover for the amp if I don't want take the big carry bag. That way the little amp actually fits right into my gear bag.

Plug for "Studio Slips." Cole there was great to work with and meticulous about getting it right.

Studio Slips | Clamshell Gig Bags and Slip Covers | US Made | since 1992
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-19-2022 at 01:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I run mine through a Raezers Edge 12-ER and it sounds great. But it's too big to haul around, I just happened to own it already. So I use the combo at home. BTW, I made a cool little plate set the bud on. It helps disperse the sound coming out of the bottom port on the bud 6. I use the bud with a very loud big band and it does fine. The guys keep coming over to look at it and can't believe it.
    Happens all the time : where‘s your amp ?

User Info Menu

Another option is the Henriksen Ray. A bit pricey, but designed specifically to go with the Bud. If you shop0 around you might be able to find one for a couple of hundred less.

The Ray Extension Cabinet - Henriksen Amplifiers

Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-19-2022 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Plug for "Studio Slips." Cole there was great to work with and meticulous about getting it right.

+1! I’ve been buying from SS since Susan and her husband started the business. They’re wonderful people to deal with, and everything I’ve ever gotten from them has been excellent (and is still in service for me with little or no wear or visual degradation). I keep the custom bags and covers when I sell the item they protected, because each has fit something I bought later or is usable as a tote.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Happens all the time : where‘s your amp ?
    Yeah, the first time I brought it the bandleader saw it he said "You're not going to use THAT thing tonight, are you?"

User Info Menu

Another option is the Henriksen Ray. A bit pricey, but designed specifically to go with the Bud. If you shop0 around you might be able to find one for a couple of hundred less.

The Ray Extension Cabinet - Henriksen Amplifiers

Anyone here using that cab?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Anyone here using that cab?
    Yes

Henriksen The Bud Extension Cab ... Anyone running one?

User Info Menu

I run mine through a Raezers Edge 12-ER and it sounds great. But it's too big to haul around, I just happened to own it already. So I use the combo at home. BTW, I made two cool little plates to set the bud on. It helps disperse the sound coming out of the bottom port on the bud 6. One is the exact same size as the bud and fits right in the case with the amp. The other one is a little bigger and fits in my gear bag. very thin plywood, stained black and polyurethaned. I use the bud with a very loud big band and it does fine. The guys keep coming over to look at it and can't believe it. Also, I ordered a basic thin slip cover for the amp if I don't want take the big carry bag. That way the little amp actually fits right into my gear bag.

My BUD with an extension cab - 10" or 8" or 6" ?-bud6cover-jpg