The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

The Terry Kath signature Tele thread got me thinking: what would be your dream signature guitar? Imagine you won a contest and the prize was a custom-built guitar, copying a famous player's guitar. What would it be?

(If you don't like signature models, show your disdain by not replying.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd like a Tal Farlow and a nice George Benson GB10. My birthday's in November, so plenty of time to get ready guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I'm not sure this is what you had in mind, but ...

What I have always wondered about that instrument, is how in the world it was ever shipped - from JM on the US east coast, to MK in what, Newcastle GB ?

After reading the horror stories about nightmare deliveries here, how / who would anyone trust to deliver an instrument of this value ?

Just curious........

User Info Menu

Jim Hall's 175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    What I have always wondered about that instrument, is how in the world it was ever shipped - from JM on the US east coast, to MK in what, Newcastle GB ?

After reading the horror stories about nightmare deliveries here, how / who would anyone trust to deliver an instrument of this value ?

Just curious........
    there's a video of him in Monteleone's shop, so maybe he picked it up and bought a plane ticket for it

User Info Menu

Maybelle Carter L-5. All acoustic, no hidden piezo, no usb interface crammed in there. Just an acoustic archtop.

User Info Menu

Not any famous player's guitar, but I could die happy with this as my one and only, in this color (of course)

What is your dream signature guitar?-heritage-guitars-super-eagle-red-jpg

User Info Menu

"Signature Guitar" for me would mean a more or less production guitar with an artist's name as the model denomination, like the Gibson Johnny Smith, Johnny A. , Tal Farlow, Ibanez GB10, etc . but since you make a distinction - here it is, my dream axe :
    Attached Images Attached Images What is your dream signature guitar?-121_benson_2599_el-jpg 

User Info Menu

Johhny Smith or Wes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I'd like a Tal Farlow and a nice George Benson GB10. My birthday's in November, so plenty of time to get ready guys.
    Plus one for the Tal Farlow. Peerless combination of groovy aesthetics and superb range of tones. In Viceroy Brown, natch.

First runner-up: An original Gibson Howard Roberts three-knobber. In Cherry Sunburst with a nice figured top

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Ever since I got this album
    Attachment 87744
    And since it would involve bringing Jimmy D'A back to this plane for the job, maybe I'd ask him to make it a 7 string in 16". But that Jimmy D piano tone... yeah.
    Roger Borys made the top for that guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Jim Hall's 175.
    yeah!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Roger made this one. Beautiful. I had the great fortune to check out this guitar. It's his laminate successor to his 175 on steroids guitar.
    Attachment 87745
    The other one was his Jimmy hand carved New Yorker.
    And Yeah, I'd take the red one too, as part of the deal.

Jim had TWO Jimmy D'Aquisto's? See what happens when you practice and get good?
    The "solo" model its one of my favorites too

User Info Menu

In general, copies of old things don't interest me, nor do custom made guitars. That said I wouldn't mind having a copy of The Fool SG (if it really was a faithful visually and a good sounding and playing SG). Other than that, I just have the usual pipe dreams about 50s Les Pauls and Loar-era L5's, and old Martin 000-28's, but not specific ones associated with anyone. I'd love to try a bunch of late-40s through early 60s archtops and semi-hollows, but honestly do not covet them since I genuinely think you can get less rarefied stuff that's just as good.

User Info Menu

I'll take Joe Passes last 175........the single pickup, flame topped model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto
    The "solo" model its one of my favorites too

That's not a Solo. That's Jim's Avant Garde.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I'll take Joe Passes last 175........the single pickup, flame topped model.
    Yeah, that seems like a very interesting guitar -- it's also thinner and has the pickup right up against the neck

User Info Menu

I have a Johnny Smith which makes me feel very privileged. For my next one I would want to play to decide one of: Trenier Pasquale Grasso, Thorell Frank Vignola Gibson Tal Farlow and Gibson Wes Montgomery L5. I would not mind buying a bigger house to keep all four either (greeed !)

User Info Menu

This little number would be on the list:

Really, spinning through guitars made me realize that what I look for in an instrument changes, and that there's nothing wrong with that.

User Info Menu

I haven’t been playing long enough to have enough experience with different makes and models of guitar to have a preferred signature model; however, I did recently buy a signature model that will certainly suffice for now and hopefully for some years to come.

In the short time that I’ve been playing jazz guitar I’ve gone through the usual trials and tribulations of a new player trying to parse the myriad choices and opinions about gear and find something that’s right for me. I’ve bought and sold a few guitars and amps and, for better or worse, I’ve gravitated toward the lawsuit era MIJ guitars. They just seem to have the right blend of quality, character and price that works for me.

About 3 months ago I was browsing Reverb and came across a listing for a 1978 Aria Pro II PE-175 Herb Ellis. Being familiar with MIJ guitars I knew that this model was built in Japan at the famed Matsumoku factory during its heyday. I also knew that not only was this guitar a Herb Ellis signature model but that he actually played this model guitar in performance and that Aria used the model along with a silhouette of Herb Ellis on the cover of their 1979 Pro II catalog to promote their pro-level instruments.

I’m not a pro who needs a rack of instruments for different purposes nor am I a budding collector who needs a harem of lovelies just for the fun of it. But even though I already had one MIJ gem that I found at a local guitar shop (it’s a 198? DJArgus Excel) this PE-175 was hard to resist. It appeared to be in great shape with no rotting or cracking of the binding so common with older MIJ guitars and it had just the right amount of aging of the varnish covering the binding giving it that nice caramel color. The only noticeable demerit was that sometime over its 44-year history someone had replaced the original “H.E.” monogramed pickguard with a plain black plastic guard.

Despite the replacement pickguard, the overall excellent condition put the price a little on the high end of the scale but not enough to discourage me from buying it before it ended up in someone else’s cart. After a few minor tweaks and a new set of D’Addario chromes the guitar was good to go. I’ve since found a company in Florida that specializes in pickguards and they are crafting a reproduction of the original H.E.-monogrammed guard for me.

What is your dream signature guitar?-aria-pro-ii-1979-catalog-cover-pngWhat is your dream signature guitar?-pe-175-1569-jpgWhat is your dream signature guitar?-pe-175-1570-jpgWhat is your dream signature guitar?-pe-175-1571-jpg

User Info Menu

Splendid instrument! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

I came this close to having one, long, long ago. My then-favorite retailer had one, and I ogled it longingly on my regulars strings 'n stuff visits. An accident happened which damaged the top (the old knocked over out of a guitar stand scenario), an associate of mine (one of the jazz cats I hung with) snapped it up before I knew it was available, and that was that. Later he sold it, much to my dismay, to someone else, knowing I had plans for it, should it be for sale (I was going to inlay the gouge in the top with some semi-precious material in the manner that the Japanese inlay cracks in precious ceramic pieces with gold or silver to maintain their functionality) but that never happened, so....

It is a fine instrument. Take good care of it!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 01-16-2022 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Splendid instrument! Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Thank you. I am fortunate to have good health so hoping at some point to play well in good health. I'm getting better but, as Robert Frost most eloquently wrote, miles to go before I sleep .

User Info Menu

L5CESN thinline with a CC pickup in the neck, and a Bigsby pickup in the bridge.

User Info Menu

Mr. Pete knows guitars! :-)

User Info Menu

Well, the only signature model that interests me is more of a knock off.
    More than the signature, it's the specs.
    Narrow fingerboard, 335-ish body, nice sounding pups, at least on the dozens of videos I've watched, and MOST importantly, it's available in lefty! Well, not right now, but soon, probably... uh, maybe.
    Also, it doesn't cost a fortune.
    What is your dream signature guitar?-h7_cs_8bcb5db6-6328-47f9-bf02-720e3ec9c16d-png