The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Got a 13 year girl looking for a beginner acoustic under $200.Any suggestions?Asking for a friend Dont know the student.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m not really current on guitars that fit the description, but in past experience Yamaha has made some of the best entry level I’ve come across.

User Info Menu

It's important to know if it should be a nylon or steelstring guitar.

greetings,

Stefaan

User Info Menu

I don't think anybody does inexpensive acoustics better than Yamaha.

User Info Menu

In new guitars, if her hands are on the small side, maybe a shorter scale guitar like a Gretsch Jim Dandy? Irrespective of scale length, I'd also suggest a smaller body, so maybe a Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 (I have one, and it's surprisingly good).

If willing to look at used guitars, I'd suggest craigslist, and look for any of the major brands in a smaller body in your price range (likely candidates are Fender, Epiphone, Yamaha, and Ibanez).

Also, stay away from the explicitly kid-oriented brands like Daisy or Laurel Canyon, as well as the super el-cheapo "starter" kids packages on Amazon or big box stores. Anything above about $150 from a real guitar brand will be pretty decent. Also, factor in another $50 or so for getting the guitar set up, regardless of price or new vs old.

User Info Menu

Yamaha FG800 or Seagull S6 would be my choices. Both can be found easily on the used market for around the $200 range and are wonderful acoustics in the budget category. Beautifully made and sound really nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Yamaha FG800 or Seagull S6 would be my choices. Both can be found easily on the used market for around the $200 range and are wonderful acoustics in the budget category. Beautifully made and sound really nice.
    The S6 is very nice.

User Info Menu

Easy playing?
    One of the Taylor Minis.

User Info Menu

Easy playing and under $200? Good luck with the search.

local store has a used Fender nylon easy on fingers a little thinner neck hope she likes it $150.00 If not got a call into Sweetwater Thanks

User Info Menu

I worked at Guitar Center so I can first say stay away from low end Mexican built Taylors and Martins. Their incidence of cracking, warping, fret popping and side splitting is appalling. Nobody needs to play roulette for a guitar of that quality (they may play OK new but they do NOT winter well, and out of the box the self destruct percentage was huge...but GC knew that and they only have a small number of brands they are bound to sell in their stores. $$$$$ though THEY know).
    Yamaha gets my vote, and for a beginner and a young student I would recommend an OM size (waisted and smaller size) because a dreadnaught can be very unwieldy, and who needs to feel like it's literally a bad fit because nobody pointed out that a more comfortable body size is an option.
    If she happens to live in an area with Craigslist, there was a huge swell of guitar purchases during the pandemic and the sell off has begun. People who no longer have the time, inclination or realize, the patience to practice, are getting rid of their guitars cheap. I see it a lot here. Lots of good deals in the lower end of the spectrum.
    Saw an Eastman for $200 here recently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    Easy playing?
    One of the Taylor Minis.
    Mini - yes. Baby-no. I've got a Taylor Baby (Baby Taylor?) sitting in my music room in it's very nice hard case, has to be 15-20 years now. Literally impossible to tune. My wife won't let me sell it because "maybe Grandkids..." or something. I rarely even think about it.