The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Three of my archtops have this JD'A wedge style bridge with all three sections made of ebony. The middle "wedge" section wasn't quite tall enough and I was experiencing a wee bit of "clacking" on the upper frets.
    Well, I had a local luthier fashion that section a bit taller in maple and voilà! Two issues improved 1) action is perfect and no more noise and 2) the lighter maple compliments the binding and adds colour balance to the guitar!

A bit of a "tune-up"-20220112_150402-2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Those really look great. Wish I could get some of these bridges for my guitars. Can't find anyone local to fabricate and nobody remote wants to make one and let me do the final fitting. Sigh.

User Info Menu

Sorry Spook - bummer.

How've you been?

User Info Menu

Hey Spook - post some more photos of your Wu (Yunzhi?) scroll archtop - I'd love to see some close ups.

User Info Menu

Sweet axe! Mirabella?

User Info Menu

No - modeled after some of that "look" (Chris is a true visionary) this was done by Mr Wu in China - YolandaTeam.com.

User Info Menu

Never a huge fan of black guitars, but that thing looks fantastic! I guess I am a fan after all. What are you using for strings, monel maybe? I've got Martin retro monels on my eastman archtop and I've no desire to try any more acoustic strings.

User Info Menu

Believe it or not, I use D'Addario XLs 12 - 52s and I use them on all 4 archtops and 2 flat tops. They last significantly longer than bronze and stay truer to pitch as well... plus I have the same "feel" and weight across instruments - now, my solids and semi hollows I use a lighter gauge.

User Info Menu

What a beautiful instrument!

User Info Menu

Thanks - love it.