The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Wondering about that amp. Is it any good? I have tried to like the Katana and Cube amps but I really don't. They are trebly and boomy and cheap sounding and NOTHING like my Mambo 10 jazz amp. I'd like to purchase an additional jazz amp next to my Mambo for rehearsals.

DB

P.s. Been away for a month or so. My mum died on new year's eve. 2021 was a terrible year for me. Lost my sister, mum and bass player from Trio Chet. Good friend struggling for his life in hospital right now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Wondering about that amp. Is it any good? I have tried to like the Katana and Cube amps but I really don't. They are trebly and boomy and cheap sounding and NOTHING like my Mambo 10 jazz amp. I'd like to purchase an additional jazz amp next to my Mambo for rehearsals.

DB

P.s. Been away for a month or so. My mum died on new year's eve. 2021 was a terrible year for me. Lost my sister, mum and bass player from Trio Chet. Good friend struggling for his life in hospital right now.
    So sorry for your loss Dick. I feel for you. It's been one year since dad died from covid and it's still rough for me. Totally changed my life...

I have a couple friends with the DVMark amps who say they don't hold up well (headroom-wise) in a loud band but are sufficient for duo and trio work. I'll probably get one for practicing / rehearsing. They now make a 60w version with a microtube. That's the one I'll probably get. I have their 250w version with microtube and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear how tragic 2021 was for you. All the best! And thank you so much for posting here, because it introduced me to your blogs and videos. Very inspirational! As a fellow Dutchman I’m totally into J.O.o.t.C. and Martijn van Iterson. That man has such great tone, touch and timing and I was glad to read about him in your blogs.

About amps: I’ve no direct experience with the DV Mark Jazz 12 so can’t help you there. Personally I enjoy trying to find happening sounds in unexpected places, mostly tube amps that were not specifically designed for jazz (to put it mildly). An example would be an ENGL Thunder 50 combo, which has a nice, articulate clean channel that you can turn up really loud for an on-the-edge-of-breakup sound. But it also has a lower-gain drive channel where you can put everything at noon, roll back the volume on your guitar and enjoy a late ‘50s Kenny Burrell type of tone that’s just a tiny little bit over the edge of breakup. I paid €300 for that amp, it’s indestructible. Another unexpected pleasure is the clean channel of a PRS MT15. Those are the loudest 15 watts I’ve ever heard and no matter what you plug into it, the amp goes “yeah, I can do that for you”. Very organic, very warm, built like a tank. Modeling amps aren’t my thing, but a solid state Roland JC22 always makes me smile. A very neutral, transparent and musical amp. Two speakers, weighs nothing, you can toss it out of a window and it’ll work fine. It doesn’t respond to me like a good tube amp does, but that’s just personal preference.

User Info Menu

I join everyone else in wishing you a better year and the ability to find peace despite the last one.

I’ve had a Jazz 12 for a few years in the backline at the club in which I’m the house band leader. It’s remarkably good and versatile, as long as you don’t want more than a touch of reverb. The ‘verb gets oddly chorusy and flangy much above 10 o’clock.

The amp really hangs in there for blues bands, even with horns and our Hammond, both for guitar and for harmonica - many of the harp players love it. And I use it for my jazz trio’s weekly shows. It’s excellent with my 7 string archtops as well as my Tele 7 with Lace Alumibuckers and my FrankenPaul 7 with an active EMG. I don’t have any single coils, but it was also great using the coil split switch on my Carvin. It’s had heavy use and seems to be none the worse for wear.

I like it so much that I bought a Little Jazz last year. I use the LJ at home and on gigs away from the club. It’s also excellent and sounds similar to (but not quite as loud as) the 12. For the price, I know of no combo that comes close. The Blu and Bud are probably better for higher sound levels, but they’re 3+ times the cost.

One great alternative is a Toob with a higher powered head like a Mark, an Elf, BAM, etc. Affix the head to the little platform and it’s a combo.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 01-12-2022 at 12:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Dick
    Your avalanche of losses has kept you in my prayers and thoughts constantly. You have been a deep inspiration to me musically, and these days, I really need it, so your posts and clips help me stay inspired to keep working away at my own playing. I know, though, that so much loss can burden your spirit and make it hard to play, especially the Chet Baker material. Then again, playing those tunes can be a way to defy the tragedy and assert your continuing respect and admiration for your bassist friend. The human spirit can be so resilient, and I know you will come through this season a deeper, better man.

User Info Menu

First, condolences on your recent losses; I won't attempt to add to the eloquent comments above. Here's hoping for a better year.
    ---------------------------------------------
    I'm also a Mambo user. The amps I have found that come very close to the "normal' mambo sound setting are:
    -Polytone babybrute with an Eminence speaker. Perhaps not very helpful, since there aren't many about, and they are old. I had one reworked by Jon Shaw.
    -A true flat response 100w small head coupled with an Eminence Beta 10 speaker in a Mambo - sized cabinet. This gets so close it's hard to tell it apart.
    ( worth noting that many of the small amp heads aren't flat response at all. I use a GSS 100w head, which sounds very close). This can be a relatively economical solution ( around £ 500) , but with the disadvantage that it's more hassle to carry around, obviously. No reverb, either.
    -An AI Clarus reverb head with the same kind of cabinet. Clearly, this wouldn't be a cheap solution.

Maybe the Henriksen blu 10 would be worth considering? It is approximately the same size and uses the same Eminence Beta speaker, although of course with a different eq system. Still, it should be capable of getting that flat response sound. Again, not cheap.

At this stage in life I have stopped hoping for the best with cheaper amps...

I agree, the Cube sounds nothing like the mambo. No experience with the Katana. I tried an early DV Mark; a reasonably good amp at a reasonable price, but not close to the Mambo IMO. It lacked that ability to add weight to the top string notes that the Mambo is so good at. Not everyone wants that, of course....

User Info Menu

PM sent

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    First, condolences on your recent losses; I won't attempt to add to the eloquent comments above. Here's hoping for a better year.
    ---------------------------------------------
    I'm also a Mambo user. The amps I have found that come very close to the "normal' mambo sound setting are:
    -Polytone babybrute with an Eminence speaker. Perhaps not very helpful, since there aren't many about, and they are old. I had one reworked by Jon Shaw.
    -A true flat response 100w small head coupled with an Eminence Beta 10 speaker in a Mambo - sized cabinet. This gets so close it's hard to tell it apart.
    ( worth noting that many of the small amp heads aren't flat response at all. I use a GSS 100w head, which sounds very close). This can be a relatively economical solution ( around £ 500) , but with the disadvantage that it's more hassle to carry around, obviously. No reverb, either.
    -An AI Clarus reverb head with the same kind of cabinet. Clearly, this wouldn't be a cheap solution.

Maybe the Henriksen blu 10 would be worth considering? It is approximately the same size and uses the same Eminence Beta speaker, although of course with a different eq system. Still, it should be capable of getting that flat response sound. Again, not cheap.

At this stage in life I have stopped hoping for the best with cheaper amps...

I agree, the Cube sounds nothing like the mambo. No experience with the Katana. I tried an early DV Mark; a reasonably good amp at a reasonable price, but not close to the Mambo IMO. It lacked that ability to add weight to the top string notes that the Mambo is so good at. Not everyone wants that, of course....
    So the Mambo is a better amp than the DV in your experience? Way better or just better? It should be of course, given the difference in price ...

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Dick
    Your avalanche of losses has kept you in my prayers and thoughts constantly. You have been a deep inspiration to me musically, and these days, I really need it, so your posts and clips help me stay inspired to keep working away at my own playing. I know, though, that so much loss can burden your spirit and make it hard to play, especially the Chet Baker material. Then again, playing those tunes can be a way to defy the tragedy and assert your continuing respect and admiration for your bassist friend. The human spirit can be so resilient, and I know you will come through this season a deeper, better man.
    Thanks Lawson. I hope we can somhow find a way to continue Trio Chet at one time but at this moment we are not up to it yet. Too much respect for our former bass player.

DB

User Info Menu

DB, you have a mountain of sorrow to climb, so sorry to hear what's happened.

Regarding the DV Mark combo, you know that I in a way have a dog in the fight, so I try to stick to facts and keep opinions to myself. Nevertheless, I start with an opinion: I like the DV Mark amps a lot; they are darker and have more girth than many other Class D micro-amps. The reverb has been criticized widely. In jazz, you don't need a ton of it. The enclosure is a typical open-back cab; they all work more or less the same. It's made of poplar plywood to keep the weight down. I know there are people who believe it has to be void-free Baltic plywood; others prefer solid pine. I think the material plays a minor role here. Notice that most hi-fi cabs are made of MDF, which is the lowest life-form in the eyes and ears of guitar freaks. The big question mark is DV Mark's range of speakers. No info is available on them, except the wattage (150W) and weight (1.5 kg), which is by far the lowest in the 12" caliber. I believe the explanation can only be a relatively small magnet and voice coil. I once spent an hour at a guitar shop's cellar playing all DV Mark Micro 50 amps through one of my Toobs and also comparing the sound to the Jazz 12 Combo, using the same amp settings. The combo was markedly quieter, suggesting a less sensitive speaker than my Jensen Tornado. Of course, this matters less for a seasoned jazz guitarist than a wannabe rock star. Just crank up, except you only get 50W out of the amp. There's newer lightweight Class D combos, such as Fender's Tone Master range and Quilter's Aviator Cub, with more efficient speakers and more tonal variety. Henriksen Blu is extremely compact and cherished. And if weight and compactness really matter, you know where to turn to.

User Info Menu

So the Mambo is a better amp than the DV in your experience? Way better or just better? It should be of course, given the difference in price ...

DB
    If you like that Mambo tone as much as I do, much better. For many players, the DVM is probably fine.

I suggest a side by side comparison; amp tone is a very personal thing

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    If you like that Mambo tone as much as I do, much better. For many players, the DVM is probably fine.

I suggest a side by side comparison; amp tone is a very personal thing
    Thanks Franz. Yes, I love the Mambo tone probably just as much as you. Do you know if John would want to make a 12” version? He used to sell them but somehow stopped making them because he preferred the sound of the 10 I believe.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks Franz. Yes, I love the Mambo tone probably just as much as you. Do you know if John would want to make a 12” version? He used to sell them but somehow stopped making them because he preferred the sound of the 10 I believe.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    As you say Dick he did make a 12" version - I had one for a short time. I found that it didn't project as well as the 10" and somehow lost that midrange weight that is the mambo USP.
    Why? I am not sure, perhaps because the Eminence 12" equivalent doesn't sound as punchy as the 10". On a very loud gig, it didn't cut through as well, in my direct experience.
    However Jon is always open to custom requests from old customers. If I were looking for another amp, though, I'd get another 10". The beta 10 speaker has a special sonic signature that is partly what the Mambo sound is all about.

I sold my 12" fairly quickly, maybe it is floating about somewhere on the s/h marketplace...I'm not sure how many others he made, I guess less than 10.

Another option might be to trade up to the current 400w version, and add a 12" extension cab. The older 180w model won't take an additional 8 ohm ext cabinet, as you probably know.

User Info Menu

Sorry for your loss Bopper, life is precious, we forget too easily until we're dealt a shocking reminder. So sorry you lost a friend.

Oscar,
    Fwiw, with a good SS amp I fine that putting a clean boost (2 knobs - level/output and tone) in front of it, level set just a little bit above unity volume and tone set pretty much in the same range as the amp (don't set tone to 1 or 10) it really provides just a wonderful "lift" to everything, enhances clarity and note separation without being bright/harsh/brittle and somehow adds a touch sensitive dynamic response like a tube amp. Maybe a hair more sustain, but I'm not talking loud, really great tone at very home friendly volume. I think you be very pleased with one into your Roland.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Oscar, Fwiw, with a good SS amp I fine that putting a clean boost (2 knobs - level/output and tone) in front of it, level set just a little bit above unity volume and tone set pretty much in the same range as the amp (don't set tone to 1 or 10) it really provides just a wonderful "lift" to everything, enhances clarity and note separation without being bright/harsh/brittle and somehow adds a touch sensitive dynamic response like a tube amp. Maybe a hair more sustain, but I'm not talking loud, really great tone at very home friendly volume. I think you be very pleased with one into your Roland.
    Thanks for the tip! Will try.

User Info Menu

Sorry for your loss Bopper, life is precious, we forget too easily until we're dealt a shocking reminder. So sorry you lost a friend.

Oscar,
    Fwiw, with a good SS amp I fine that putting a clean boost (2 knobs - level/output and tone) in front of it, level set just a little bit above unity volume and tone set pretty much in the same range as the amp (don't set tone to 1 or 10) it really provides just a wonderful "lift" to everything, enhances clarity and note separation without being bright/harsh/brittle and somehow adds a touch sensitive dynamic response like a tube amp. Maybe a hair more sustain, but I'm not talking loud, really great tone at very home friendly volume. I think you be very pleased with one into your Roland.
    This is indeed a very effective way to "enhance" the sound of many amps : I've used a J.Rocket Audio Designs "Tim Pearce" overdrive/booster pedal with very good results. Likewise I program a similar device into my Helix Stomp pedal (in front of the amp) along with some compression/delay/eq/reverb for more modern sounds. Some forum members rave about their pedals that emulate the tone of a pre-war Gibson amp with the octal preamp tube...

User Info Menu

DB

So, so sorry DB

User Info Menu

Oscar,
    That doesn't hurt even when running a tube amp low! For me, the clean boost on a King of Tone.

User Info Menu

Sorry for your loss, DB. I lost my mother a few months ago. It's a difficult thing for anyone. In my case it wasn't totally unexpected, but it hurts nonetheless.

As for the amp, I don't have a Jazz 12, but I do like DV Mark amps a lot. I've had a DV head and it was very good, but I sold it when I bought a Little Jazz, because that sounded as good, and is more transportable and convenient. I prefer the Little Jazz to my Fender Vibrolux Reverb and my AI Clarus or GK MB200 head/RE Stealth 10ER. It's just a great sounding amp. I've never tried a Mambo, so I can't really compare them, but the DV Mark amps are closer to the Polytone sound than anything else I've tried. And the price is very reasonable. I can't think of anything that comes close for the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Some forum members rave about their pedals that emulate the tone of a pre-war Gibson amp with the octal preamp tube...
    I’ll look that up, thanks! I’m not that big on pedals because of the simple joy of just plugging straight into the amp. I like the feeling of amp and guitar becoming one single instrument. Especially with archtops! For my non-jazz needs I have a truly stellar overdrive pedal, a volume pedal with adjustable boost, a reverb pedal for use with reverb-less amps and a line switcher for using multiple amps. That’s it. But I’ll see if I can find something to add just a bit more gold dust to the JC-22. I love that amp, BTW. It sounds so transparent, uncluttered and open. It will really tell me what a guitar truly sounds like… and what I truly sound like ;-) . Never use the chorus, though. Can’t stand modulation.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Sorry for your loss, DB. I lost my mother a few months ago. It's a difficult thing for anyone. In my case it wasn't totally unexpected, but it hurts nonetheless.

As for the amp, I don't have a Jazz 12, but I do like DV Mark amps a lot. I've had a DV head and it was very good, but I sold it when I bought a Little Jazz, because that sounded as good, and is more transportable and convenient. I prefer the Little Jazz to my Fender Vibrolux Reverb and my AI Clarus or GK MB200 head/RE Stealth 10ER. It's just a great sounding amp. I've never tried a Mambo, so I can't really compare them, but the DV Mark amps are closer to the Polytone sound than anything else I've tried. And the price is very reasonable. I can't think of anything that comes close for the price.
    After hearing some clips on Youtube and considering my budget I tend to gravitate towards the DV Jazz 112. What I am looking for is a warm sounding amp without all the nasty hissy treble and boomy bass sounds that cheap amps such as the Boss Katana and Cube amps provide. So NO BOOM and NO HISSY TREBLES will be allowed, that's why I like my Mambo so much ... I do not expect the DV jazz 112 to sound as great as my Mambo but do you think the DV 112 will be a suitable amp considering my remarks on the desired sounds?

DB

User Info Menu

do you think the DV 112 will be a suitable amp considering my remarks on the desired sounds?
    Yes. Both my J12 and my Little Jazz do it for me because they have the sound you seem to want. FWIW, the LJ may make you even happier because the bass is a bit tighter.

User Info Menu

Dick, I'm sorry for you, that's a bad time. My wife and I were in a horrible car wreck this week (100% the other drivers fault.) Car is a goner, we've had to go to PT. So I empathize with your personal losses.

As far as the amp thing, can you get a chance to try a Quilter combo over there? I've been thrilled with mine, now the 8 even over the 12.

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of 12" speakers. That's just my personal tonal preference. The Little Jazz, with an 8" speaker, puts out more than enough bass for my taste, and depending on the guitar I may need to turn the treble up above flat, which is a first for me. I generally lower the treble on an amp, and I still do that with some guitars, but never less than 11 o'clock. The ports on the back of the LJ make it somewhat sensitive to position, and I find I usually prefer it tilted and about a foot from a wall. That can change with different guitars, though. As for the Jazz 12, again I can't say because I haven't had one available to play, but I would expect it to be a little darker and much more beamy than the 8" version. I think you will like it, but my ears are not yours. I'm pretty certain that I would prefer the LJ. Maybe it's because I already have one, but I keep trying other amps, and I keep going back to it. I've used it at blues jams where 6 or 8 other guitarists were using BAFs (big assed Fenders) and solid-body Fender guitars, and I was using the LJ and a Benedetto Bambino, and I was easily as loud as they were, with no feedback and the volume on both amp and guitar at about halfway. It was so loud I had to wear earplugs. I eventually quit going because of the volume, about the time Covid was becoming a thing.

User Info Menu

After hearing some clips on Youtube and considering my budget I tend to gravitate towards the DV Jazz 112. What I am looking for is a warm sounding amp without all the nasty hissy treble and boomy bass sounds that cheap amps such as the Boss Katana and Cube amps provide. So NO BOOM and NO HISSY TREBLES will be allowed, that's why I like my Mambo so much ... I do not expect the DV jazz 112 to sound as great as my Mambo but do you think the DV 112 will be a suitable amp considering my remarks on the desired sounds?

DB
    I think you'll like the dvmark. It's a great sounding little head/combo. Just don't expect it to have the headroom in a loud organ trio or loud big band but i'm very impressed with the sound and quality of the dvmark stuff and the tone controls are placed correctly IMO which for some reason is difficult for many of the SS amp makers to get right...