The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Thanks so much for all the replies. I am going to use the amp in a drummerless trio (Oscar Peterson Tribute Trio) so headroom is not much of an issue I guess. So it'll be a DV amp. Now I have to narrow it down to the DV Mark Jazz 112 or the Lil' jazz. Which is the warmer sounding one? Does the 8 " speaker of the Lil' jazz not sound a bit boxy? Stan's opinion is that it sounds even better in the low end? How can that be?

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It didn’t sound boxy. It was booming. But I used it in a small room, so that is probably no issue in a band setting.
    There is 12” on marktplaats just now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Now I have to narrow it down to the DV Mark Jazz 112 or the Lil' jazz. Which is the warmer sounding one? Does the 8 " speaker of the Lil' jazz not sound a bit boxy? Stan's opinion is that it sounds even better in the low end? How can that be?
    The 12 is a bit flabby in the bass if left on the floor and downright obese if also close to a wall. It’s much better on a stand or chair at least a few feet away from floor & walls. The LJ is much less prone to this boundary effect. Even that little 8” driver makes serious bass down to the 82 Hz of an open E6, but it’s tighter and leaner. Even at 55Hz from my A7, it’s clean and tight where the 12 is a bit tubby. I assume it’s the cabinet design that makes this possible.

The tone controls on both have a major effect and respond well to careful tweaking. My Tele 7 with Lace Alumibuckers sounds a bit boxy through both if the midrange is above 12 o’clock, but it’s great only a few degrees left of that. My archtops sound best with bass at about 10 o’clock on the LJ and 9 on the 12, mid at about noon, and treble just left of noon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Thanks so much for all the replies. I am going to use the amp in a drummerless trio (Oscar Peterson Tribute Trio) so headroom is not much of an issue I guess. So it'll be a DV amp. Now I have to narrow it down to the DV Mark Jazz 112 or the Lil' jazz. Which is the warmer sounding one? Does the 8 " speaker of the Lil' jazz not sound a bit boxy? Stan's opinion is that it sounds even better in the low end? How can that be?

DB
    i'd recommend getting the 12. The 8" speaker doesn't move as much air and the effective output will be less at the same power. IMO, a pair of 8s sound great but a single 8 in loud environment can easily get lost. And I believe the 12" speaker they use is more efficient which effectively translates to more output power. I know Stan doesn't like 12" speakers but plenty of people do. The point about bass response is a valid one. 8" speakers have a natural high pass filter and some of the low frequencies you get out of a 12 can make it sound woofy but IMO, you can easily dial that out on the dvmark.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i'd recommend getting the 12. The 8" speaker doesn't move as much air and the effective output will be less at the same power. IMO, a pair of 8s sound great but a single 8 in loud environment can easily get lost. And I believe the 12" speaker they use is more efficient which effectively translates to more output power. I know Stan doesn't like 12" speakers but plenty of people do. The point about bass response is a valid one. 8" speakers have a natural high pass filter and some of the low frequencies you get out of a 12 can make it sound woofy but IMO, you can easily dial that out on the dvmark.
    Thanks again Jack. I think this will be the one.

DB

User Info Menu

I like my LJ very much.

I usually play it with the bass all the way off and, at times, I wish it would go even lower. That's mostly for combo playing with a pianist.

I believe the amp you're considering is the same electronics but with a bigger speaker.

I don't know if the bigger speaker might actually make the bass sound better, so that there'd be no need to turn it down, or the opposite. Or, if it's just my hearing, which is not perfect.

User Info Menu

Oscar Peterson Tribute Trio..... Jeez, I'd hate to be that piano player!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    He 's up to it. He's the local Oscar ...

Lot of work for me though. He sent me this file for "Exactly like you." "Got no sheet music for the arrangement but ... hey, play it like this."

Last edited by Dutchbopper; 01-15-2022 at 10:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    How about being the guitar player? Barney, Herb, Joe and Ulf are all some pretty big shoes to fill. If anyone can do it, DB can!

User Info Menu

Dick so sorry for your loss. My Mom died Nov.28. No matter how old you get you still need your Mom. There is no greater love than a Mother’s love. Your sister too that is really rough. May God bless you through this most difficult time.

The new Henriksen Blu amps are pretty darn good. Really good IMO.