The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I really wanted Fender to create a tribute Tele in Terry Kath’s memory, but the wife does not want me refinancing the home to buy it.

The example looks soooo authentic and I have to bet any of them sold will be decor rather than musical instruments.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I had 20k to blow on a guitar it sure as heck wouldn't be a plank

User Info Menu

What's a Terry Kath?

User Info Menu

P.T. Barnum was right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    What's a Terry Kath?
    Former lead guitarist of Chicago, he passed away some years ago. You can hear him on "25 or 6 to 4". Jimi Hendrix famously called him the best guitarist in the world back in the day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    What's a Terry Kath?
    Just in case this was not sarcasm, he was lead guitarist and founding member of Chicago. In addition to being an innovative guitarist, he was a talented songwriter. The first tracks on the first and second Chicago albums were his tunes..

He was also a founder/endorser for Pignose.

For some reason he is known for this modded Tele, but the three time I saw him he played a Strat and Les Paul Recording.

Stupidly blew his own brains out in what the LAPD called an accident.

He was of course known in jazz circles:

User Info Menu

My pocket is small, and only has about $20 burning a small hole in it. No reasonable person is going to pay $20,000 for a Tele and play it. So of course it's going to be decor, in a mansion or penthouse somewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    ... Jimi Hendrix famously called him the best guitarist in the world back in the day.
    Maybe he did that only to annoy Clapton.

User Info Menu

I've always felt that Terry Kath was the rock equivalent of Coltrane - unbridled virtuosity and raw emotion - Regarding Clapton, Hendrix and Kath... Terry was the man, by far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    As I recall Jimi was enamored of Billy Gibbons and Dave Mason as well.

Wonder what he would have thought of Stevie Ray.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    Just in case this was not sarcasm, he was lead guitarist and founding member of Chicago.
    No sarcasm intended. I had never heard of him or listened to Chicago. Rock and pop just passed me by. No judgment intended.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    It may well have! But I doubt that was it

Anyway, here's a solo from 23 year old Kerry in a song about running out of cocaine at oh, somewhere around 3:35 AM or so....

User Info Menu

TBH I barely knew of him in detail until the Chicago documentary showed up on Netflix about 2 years ago. That gives a good look at his and the band's career.

Though when a great guitarist says so-and-so is a really good guitarist, one should pay attention.