The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Twenty minutes isn't a lot of time even for an experienced tech to find a buzz. But if you've bailed on your investigation, not much else to do until you can get it to the shop. Hope he finds it quickly and the fix is cheap.
    20 minutes is just the last effort. I've spent hours, all told...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Been there, done that, got really tired. But so far I've found all the unusual noises on my guitars. I dread the next one, sort of, but it does help pass the time while hiding out from COVID. And I'm doing a lot of hiding.

User Info Menu

hi Jack
    yes i sympathise, it’s totally maddening
    and stops you playing

but it’s sooo great when you find
    the culprit !

and you WILL find it eventually
    (this is happening acoustically yeah ?)

my method is to isolate one potential
    cause at a time ....

it seems to be coming from the pot area
    so

put a jack in the socket
    and apply some tension to it
    in various directions

not that ?

slack the strings
    and loosen the four pu ring screws
    and take out the bridge pu with its ring
    wrap it in cloth ....

still got the buzz ?

do same with the neck pu

still got the buzz ?

leave them in cloth
    (you’ve eliminated them)

get your hand in there an start dampening
    the the various braces wires and pots
    etc you can reach get

use bent stiff wire sticks with cloth
    wraped round the end to reach things
    and damp them

improvise your tools

this is sometimes a two person job

still can’t find the cause ?

tie a long piece of floss round a pot shaft and drop
    that pot into the guitar ....

still got the buzz ?

do the next pot

repeat
    till you’ve gradually eliminated
    all possible causes

by doing this you WILL find the cause ....

User Info Menu

- I would try to fifth fret A, while damping string D just to see if it is the "frequency" itself or mainly the string D.

- you wrote it comes out on amp. This means the the issue *alters the resonance of the string itself* (as the microphonic effect of the PU probably is NOT enough to pick up a wood, pot, tuning, wire, truss rod?) sympathetic resonance. Still I would double check the amp thing, by recording and listening the record.

If that is only the open string, and not the A 5th fret, that implies the nut or less probably the bridge.

...and this case I also would give a shot to change the D string...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    - I would try to fifth fret A, while damping string D just to see if it is the "frequency" itself or mainly the string D.

- you wrote it comes out on amp. This means the the issue *alters the resonance of the string itself* (as the microphonic effect of the PU probably is NOT enough to pick up a wood, pot, tuning, wire, truss rod?) sympathetic resonance. Still I would double check the amp thing, by recording and listening the record.

If that is only the open string, and not the A 5th fret, that implies the nut or less probably the bridge.

...and this case I also would give a shot to change the D string...
    good idea to record it. I will try that. But it happens on multiple strings so i'm sure it's not just a string that's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    hi Jack
    yes i sympathise, it’s totally maddening
    and stops you playing

but it’s sooo great when you find
    the culprit !

and you WILL find it eventually
    (this is happening acoustically yeah ?)

my method is to isolate one potential
    cause at a time ....

it seems to be coming from the pot area
    so

put a jack in the socket
    and apply some tension to it
    in various directions

not that ?

slack the strings
    and loosen the four pu ring screws
    and take out the bridge pu with its ring
    wrap it in cloth ....

still got the buzz ?

do same with the neck pu

still got the buzz ?

leave them in cloth
    (you’ve eliminated them)

get your hand in there an start dampening
    the the various braces wires and pots
    etc you can reach get

use bent stiff wire sticks with cloth
    wraped round the end to reach things
    and damp them

improvise your tools

this is sometimes a two person job

still can’t find the cause ?

tie a long piece of floss round a pot shaft and drop
    that pot into the guitar ....

still got the buzz ?

do the next pot

repeat
    till you’ve gradually eliminated
    all possible causes

by doing this you WILL find the cause ....
    This should be published! One thing to add is that if it's the wiring causing the buzzing by vibrating against the top, you might want to add that stuffing some upholstery cotton in the F holes to mute the wires would also be something to try although that can be painful and problematic because you can cause new problems if you push too hard...

User Info Menu

Assuming your archtop has a wooden bridge, perhaps the following might be of some use.

On my Eastman, the holes for the adjustable bridge posts are through-and-through, meaning those holes are visible from the top and if I look down I can see the posts. But on my Collings CL Jazz and ‘35 Gibson L7, the only holes are on the bottom so I cannot see the posts from the top. And the wooden bridges on these two guitars taper down at the top. So if the metal post ends very, very close to the point where the drilled out hole stops and the bridge starts to narrow, it might rattle on certain notes. It does on my Collings because I lowered the bridge all the way down, so the posts are using the full length of the holes.

Took me forever to discover this, by the way. Murphy lives.

To see if the bridge causes your rattle, try replacing it with another bridge and/or raise the action a bit so you know there’ll be some clearance above the posts. If your guitar has a ToM bridge then try replacing it with any other bridge just to see what happens. (The moving parts in some ToM bridges can really go haywire on an archtop. In one case I’ve gone as far as dripping candlewax around the saddles to fix the screws, springs and saddles in place. Drastic, but it worked.)

User Info Menu

sometimes you can swear that buzz is coming from the guitar, but it is really the glass in a nearby picture frame, etc...so check yer tchotchkes.

I've found where the buzzing is coming from. Probably should have given the guitar a physical inspection first.

This crack and the accompanying loose top ply is causing the problem. If I touch it while hitting the notes that cause the vibration the vibration stops. I tried putting masking tape on it but it didn't solve the issue. I looked inside the body with my USB Snake camera and the crack doesn't go through. It's only in the top layer of plywood. You might think from the picture that there glue there but it's just an optical illusion. In reality, the finish is chipped out of that area. Looks like an old injury that happened prior to my obtaining the instrument. Another great reverb purchase, lol...

So it may be that putting some superglue or epoxy on that area would cure the issue. I might try packing tape which is stickier than masking tape next...

Diagnosing a buzz or vibration in an archtop?-crack-jpg

User Info Menu

Jack, that's good you've figured it out. Good luck with the fix.
    Regarding the USB snake camera, I'd like to get one, but not sure what the best option would be. Any suggestions? I've seen too many varieties to really make a decision and would like some opinions to help guide me. The dental mirror is a PITA. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Jack, that's good you've figured it out. Good luck with the fix.
    Regarding the USB snake camera, I'd like to get one, but not sure what the best option would be. Any suggestions? I've seen too many varieties to really make a decision and would like some opinions to help guide me. The dental mirror is a PITA. Thanks.
    i like this one

Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Got it!
    The link did work for me
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I've found where the buzzing is coming from. Probably should have given the guitar a physical inspection first.
    yay !
    Isn’t it great when you find it ?
    pleased for you man ....