The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 156

User Info Menu

How likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???-p1000621-edit-jpgHow likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???-p1000616-edit-jpgHow likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???-p1000619-edit-jpgHow likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???-p1000620-edit-jpgHow likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???-p1000615-edit-jpgnitro finish, carved spruce top...

Update...The guitar is now 7 days late, USPS has stopped sending me updates and the last "item is arriving late" update on their site is from the 11th. The seller and I are now suspicious that it may have been stolen by an employee since they cannot locate it.

[update] got the guitar...

this on both sides.

Seller refuses to allow me to return it. He says it was like that prior to shipping! He neglected to mention it prior to the sale. He's actually a well known player so I'm pretty shocked that he doesn't back up the transaction so i've submitted a claim with reverb which he says he's going to fight.

How likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???-neck-crack-closeup-jpg
    Last edited by jzucker; 01-15-2022 at 11:57 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    carved spruce top...
    The cold temps shouldn’t be an issue. It’s just sudden temperature changes that can be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    The cold temps shouldn’t be an issue. It’s just sudden temperature changes that can be problematic.
    how much time should I leave it in the shipping box and case? 24 hours? More?

User Info Menu

How's that for a teaser, eh fellas?

Ok Jack, I'll bite. What'd ya get? L5? L4? Heritage Eagle of some sort?

User Info Menu

Some years ago I shipped a Gibson Legrand to a guy on the east coast via USPS. It was supposed to beat an incoming storm by a day, didn’t, was “Out for delivery” for ten days in well-below freezing temps.

Was fine when it arrived, after being properly acclimated.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I once lived in the UP of MI, I had a nitrocellulose finished guitar (GBAA) spend 5 days riding around in an unheated UPS truck(s) in January. I was nearly apoplectic. When it arrived it sat outside on the front porch for another 5 hours in temperatures in the low teens. When I got home, I left it inside in the box for 24 hours and in a fit of cautiousness I didn't open the case for another 6 hours. It was perfect when taken out of the case. It is the rapid change that causes most of the damage.

User Info Menu

Well accepted doctrine - wait! I just got a new classical guitar shipped. Warning on the box says, "Allow contents to acclimate".

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    How's that for a teaser, eh fellas?

Ok Jack, I'll bite. What'd ya get? L5? L4? Heritage Eagle of some sort?
    benedetto bambino

User Info Menu

About 30 yrs ago I bought a 1930 L-5 in the dead of winter. I let it acclimate a few hrs but it wasn't enough, as soon as I took it out of the case the whole back crazed before my eyes in just a few seconds.
    Lesson learned.....

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    About 30 yrs ago I bought a 1930 L-5 in the dead of winter. I let it acclimate a few hrs but it wasn't enough, as soon as I took it out of the case the whole back crazed before my eyes in just a few seconds.
    Lesson learned.....
    ugh, sorry. You think 24hr is enough? Chris Forshage seemed to think just being exposed to the 12F temps would crackle the finish regardless of the acclimation. That has me worried

User Info Menu

benedetto bambino
    Unless I’m losing my faculties, the Bambino has a laminated top. It’s not a hand carved archtop.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 01-10-2022 at 09:53 PM.

User Info Menu

24 hours is generally plenty. I always check the temperature as I go. I open the box and check the temp inside. If everything seems good, I will barely crack open the case and reach in to feel inside. You could even use a thermometer probe if you wanted to be really careful. If it seems too cool I will wait several hours, but generally the temp will have normalized after 24 hours. I haven’t had one have resultant lacquer checking yet. How likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???

User Info Menu

You could always wait 36-48 hours. That oughta do it.

User Info Menu

24 is enough, but TRM's method is what I typically use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Unless I’m losing my faculties, the Bambino has a laminated top. It’s not a hand carved archtop.
    Laminate or carved, if it is finished in nitro and the temperature change is sudden, the crazing will happen. The Bambino's are indeed all laminate guitars. Perhaps JZ found a one off with a carved spruce top?

User Info Menu

It's also a humidity variation question but less so with a laminate build. With Bambino, a heel crack is more likely than overall damage to the finish. Today's nitro varnishes appear to be more flexible than older stuff. A used modern guitar is safer than a brand new one. Allow it to thaw at least 12 hours if you really have to buy this time of the year. I had a heel crack on a Bravo and a Vestax D'Angelico, the first due to dry winter air and the second during wintertime shipping from London to Finland. The latter was non-nitro and trickier to fix, with low viscosity superglue. Neither crack was structural, just cosmetic, but irritating on pricey new guitars.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Benedetto...I just sold a Benedetto 16b..It took Fedex over a week to deliver this guitar to the buyer who is 2 hours away!! a big WTFF. Anyway he waits a bit to open the box not like there was a huge weather change but still...anyway this happens right at the nut on both sides. I believe if the guy would have received it basically next day this wouldn't have happened it was the back and forth on the truck for a week etc. Wonder if those finish cracks ran anymore, Bummer.

User Info Menu

The Bambino Elite is solid, fully carved, not laminated. The price for a new one is $15k. New ones aren't much cheaper. The regular Bambino and the Bambino Deluxe are both laminated maple. Still fine guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    Congrats on the Benedetto...I just sold a Benedetto 16b..It took Fedex over a week to deliver this guitar to the buyer who is 2 hours away!! a big WTFF. Anyway he waits a bit to open the box not like there was a huge weather change but still...anyway this happens right at the nut on both sides. I believe if the guy would have received it basically next day this wouldn't have happened it was the back and forth on the truck for a week etc. Wonder if those finish cracks ran anymore, Bummer.

That looks like a classic headstock flex from plopping the box on the guitar's back. That's mechanical. Crazing from temperature changes tends to occur at points of rapid and high temperature differences, not so much in stressed areas particularly. Anything's possible I suppose.

Pete Moreno was assigned somewhere in Canada to oversee warranty repairs for Gibson. On a bitter cold day UPS dropped off a bunch of guitars. The repair team pulled the guitars out of the cases without a warming period. Pete was shocked to see this and could hear the cracking of the lacquer as 75 degrees hit 15 degrees. His first lesson to them is let them set a business day before opening them.

User Info Menu

Jack I doubt the guitar got anywhere near that cold and as other said a slow process of warming up the guitar should be completely fine.

User Info Menu

I had my PRS JA-15 shipped from FL to Western NY December of 2020 and it was about as cold and took 4 or so days to get to me. I let it sit in the box for about 18 hours before I opened the box and left it for another 6 hours. I took the guitar case out and then could feel that it was nearly room temperature. I unlatched the case but didn't open it for another 30 mins and then it was good to go. It didn't even need the truss rod to be tweaked.

I think your guitar will be safe, just give it the acclimation time.

User Info Menu

Time stands still waiting to open a guitar box…….LOL Jack.
    Hope you love it.

Moot point right now since USPS has no idea where the guitar is...I have the dreaded "Arriving late but still in progress" message now...

User Info Menu

Moot point right now since USPS has no idea where the guitar is...I have the dreaded "Arriving late but still in progress" message now...
    Shippers are so screwed up right now that it could show up at your door while still being lost on paper. Last week, my DV Mark Raw Dawg head showed a "shipment error" for 3 days on tracking. It arrived on day 3 in pristine packing, with the tracking site still saying that it was in Kansas. And the speaker I bought from Markwhy a few weeks ago arrived a day earlier than tracking said it would. Unfortunately, your Bambino represents a lot more equity than my amp and speaker - but at the end of the game, the pawn and the king live in the same box.

I hope your new baby arrives safe and sound, Jack. I didn't know there was a carved Bambino - it looks fantastic!

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    It's also a humidity variation question but less so with a laminate build. With Bambino, a heel crack is more likely than overall damage to the finish. Today's nitro varnishes appear to be more flexible than older stuff. A used modern guitar is safer than a brand new one. Allow it to thaw at least 12 hours if you really have to buy this time of the year. I had a heel crack on a Bravo and a Vestax D'Angelico, the first due to dry winter air and the second during wintertime shipping from London to Finland. The latter was non-nitro and trickier to fix, with low viscosity superglue. Neither crack was structural, just cosmetic, but irritating on pricey new guitars.
    I believe that many (most?) guitar makers add a bit of plasticizer to help prevent lacquer checking. Even boutique guys, at least some of them.

But they can still check if subjected to extreme changes.