The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 156

User Info Menu

shipping is so screwed up right now, I'm sure the guitar will show eventually Jack
    patience.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    shipping is so screwed up right now, I'm sure the guitar will show eventually Jack
    patience.....
    neither the seller or I are sure of that anymore. USPS did a tracer and officially can't locate it. It never got scanned after arriving in MA a week ago. Off the record they think it was either put in a local bin somewhere or possibly taken by someone. Otherwise, it would have been scanned on the way out and on the way in in cleveland. So a claim is now being filed but it will take 30-60 days to resolve. In the meantime my money is in limbo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    neither the seller or I are sure of that anymore. USPS did a tracer and officially can't locate it. It never got scanned after arriving in MA a week ago. Off the record they think it was either put in a local bin somewhere or possibly taken by someone. Otherwise, it would have been scanned on the way out and on the way in in cleveland. So a claim is now being filed but it will take 30-60 days to resolve. In the meantime my money is in limbo.
    FWIW, this happened to my Bumgarner that shipped at the beginning of the pandemic. All of a sudden it showed up in town and arrived safely. I sincerely hope the same thing happens here for you.

User Info Menu

I really don't want to add negativity to this conversation, but anytime I've had a package delayed in shipment, I've never seen it.

Thank god they weren't guitars! Small items from Amazon, which gives you instant credit after the package is late a few days. There is even a link on the tracking page with instructions to ask for a refund. That would align with the theory that the seller is responsible for an immediate refund, but I'm not completely sure of that, either.

Amazon does that for customer service reasons. They want people to feel so confident in ordering from them that they will absorb the loss. A cost of doing business that they can absorb.

I'm assuming this guitar was sold in a private sale. Therefore I pity the seller also as it wasn't his fault either. When he refunds the money, he's out the guitar and the cash. Poor guy. I can see the side of the argument which says, "when the insurance pays, I'll then refund your money." After all, as the seller, he did everything he was supposed to do. I'm not saying that's right, either. It's a bad situation all around...

Now, one would think, a box the size of a guitar would be a bit harder to lose track of, but I'm really not too sure of that. Putting the temptation of theft aside, a lot of these delivery guys do things to avoid demerits from the company.

Once, I was expecting a phone via FedEx. Not only can you track it, but when it's on the truck, you get live GPS updates on where the truck is! The phone was for my daughter, so she was anxiously waiting outside for the package. The FedEx truck passed by without slowing down and immediately, the system said delivery was attempted but no one was home! OK, that was a one off, I thought. The same thing happened three days in a row! Finally, I got pissed and called to complain. I made the customer service rep very well aware of what was happening. Do you know, I still had to go to the distribution center and pick up the box myself? When I finally got it, it was over a week after the phone passed my house the first time!

All that is to say, if a delivery guy is under tight deadlines, he has incentive to fudge things ... I really don't think they would care if the package was insured or not.

I really hope you get the guitar soon.

User Info Menu

Dan Wilson plays a Pat Martino model, not a Bambino.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Dan Wilson plays a Pat Martino model, not a Bambino.
    which is basically a bambino with a pat martino truss rod cover.

User Info Menu

which is basically a bambino with a pat martino truss rod cover.
    No, not really. A Bambino is a laminated hollow body, the PM is a chambered mahogany solid body with a solid carved maple top. The equivalent of a chambered Les Paul.

User Info Menu

BTW, if your Bambino is completely lost and you can't find another, I have a Bambino Deluxe that I might part with. You may not like that model, it only has one pickup. I'm not playing mine much lately, others have taken over my attention.

User Info Menu

Just received a Martin OMC-28e, arrived 13 days after being shipped... the weather really messed up delivery, but it's flawless. I worried about the nitro finish, but in retrospect, don't think the inside of those trucks really reaches external temperatures. Nonetheless, I waited about 8 hours after it arrived, the case had reached ambient temperature and the top was only cool to the touch. Lovely guitar, all in one piece, and only a week late! It also was relatively untrackable for about 5 days. Fedex, FWIW.

Hope it works out for you, Jack. You DO seem to have your share of bad luck

User Info Menu

I have had UPS FedEx and USPS all lose track of parcels, all nice guitars and eventually I got them and there was nothing wrong with any of them.
    but I always practice letting the parcel rest - especially in the summer when it’s really hot or the winter when it’s cold. As long as you and the seller are communicating that’s the important thing for now. It’s not his fault that the carrier dropped the ball and you have us to talk to her I’m sure many of us have stories.

big

No, not really. A Bambino is a laminated hollow body, the PM is a chambered mahogany solid body with a solid carved maple top. The equivalent of a chambered Les Paul.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I guess I don't really know much about their product line!

User Info Menu

Man, you have more problems than anyone else here.

it's out for delivery today!

User Info Menu

When I bought a ‘68 GJS several years ago, it sat in the receiving post office in Philadelphia for 2 weeks with no change in tracking for two full weeks before it suddenly started moving and arrived safely after almost 3 weeks in their hands. I also recently shipped a bass to a buyer only 1.5 hours drive away. I only used USPS because they were so close. That was a mistake. It took 10 days to arrive. In the past, outside of the GJS, USPS had been pretty reliable for me, but in the last couple of years it’s been incredibly erratic. Occasionally, astonishingly fast, and other times, equally astonishingly slow. Fortunately, everything has arrived sooner or later. Hopefully, yours will turn up in a day or two, Jack.

Edit: Good news while I was typing this! I hope it’s safe and a great player!

User Info Menu

It's very difficult to just walk out of a USPS distribution center with a package, especially one that size, even for an employee. They have security, and it's a federal crime to steal anything in the mail, and they do send people to prison if caught. With the other parcel services, it's up to the local police and DA. That needs to be considered if you plan to try to steal packages in shipment. When you're dealing with millions of packages every day, though, a few can get sidetracked somewhere. It happens to the USPS and all its competitors. Feces occur. I've had mail that was delivered to another address, and I get mail in my mailbox addressed to other people. I just take it to the intended address, as I hope they would do for me. But not everyone does. I did have a package, fortunately not all that valuable, that just vanished. It was marked as delivered, but it never arrived. I assume it was left at the wrong address and kept. Some people do that. I'm glad to hear that yours was finally found. I just had a Fedex package get marked as out for delivery, that had disappeared for a few days. It had an expected delivery of early this week, then just was marked as "unknown delivery date". I just waited, and today I got a message that it's out for delivery. With Fedex and UPS home deliveries are the last to be done, so it will be late in the afternoon before it shows up, so I'll have to hope they don't "attempt delivery" and go to the barn for the night.

It's very difficult to just walk out of a USPS distribution center with a package, especially one that size, even for an employee.
    It happened to the seller of my benedetto who sells a lot of instruments. Apparently, the employee was eventually caught because he was a repeat offender. He was bringing empty boxes into work, taking people's guitars and then transferring the labels to empty boxes which would get delivered.

And if you think about it, it's simple if you're a delivery person. You scan the item onto your truck, and then swap the labels onto something else. Not rocket science.

User Info Menu

I really think the reliability of UPS vs USPS vs Fedex depends on where you are. As a car-free Manhattanite, just hopping into the car to drop off or pick up a big package is not a thing. So the ability to walk to a place where you can get your shipping done and to actually get a package delivered without too much hassle and intervention is what matters most. The delivery guys sometimes leave stuff in our lobby, but we've had problems with stuff being stolen (package theft is endemic in NYC), so that's a dicey thing. So having drivers who TCB is key for us.

In my immediate area, UPS is consistently the most reliable and easiest to deal with. Their tracking is accurate, and if you're not home for signature-required delivery, they keep trying. They bring every package to our door, so we never have to worry about theft with them. We have a regular driver who has figured out when people are home and takes care of things very well. I've never had them lose anything. We have a Staples very close by that has a UPS counter, and a full-service UPS store a bit further.

We have no equivalent with Fedex -- nowhere to buy their packaging, nowhere convenient to drop something off, no way to get them to pack something for you. The local drivers don't follow up nearly as well if you're not home, which results in fairly regular hassles over getting stuff delivered. My apartment building has no doorman or secure place to drop packages.

USPS used to be really bad -- they had this weird thing going where the regular mail came from one post office, and larger packages came from a different post office. If you weren't home for a delivery, the package guys would in theory try again, and after the second attempt would leave it at the regular-mail PO for pickup. In practice, they just automatically sent all packages to the regular PO, and never tried to deliver any, so we always had to go to the post office (about a 15 minute walk away) to pick up packages. It turned out that there had been a guy with the package route was was an army reservist who got deployed for multiple tours overseas. During that time, other people filled in and basically blew off the job. When the regular guy finally got out of the army he returned to our package PO and straightened everything out and we started getting package deliveries again. Over the last years, they've gotten steadily more reliable, and having a PO within walking distance makes them a better option than Fedex, but I still trust UPS more to get a package to me.

One thing about fedex is that they will do a pickup from my house for $4.99. I used to go up to the fedex office and stand in line there but lately - even with signs on the door saying to wear a mask - people are not wearing masks and social distancing so the fact that I can get a fedex pickup for cheap is super nice feature. UPS is $9.99. USPS will pickup for free if it's something small but they get annoyed if it's something that requires them to take it back to their truck and of course you have to catch them ...

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I really think the reliability of UPS vs USPS vs Fedex depends on where you are. As a car-free Manhattanite, just hopping into the car to drop off or pick up a big package is not a thing. So the ability to walk to a place where you can get your shipping done and to actually get a package delivered without too much hassle and intervention is what matters most. The delivery guys sometimes leave stuff in our lobby, but we've had problems with stuff being stolen (package theft is endemic in NYC), so that's a dicey thing. So having drivers who TCB is key for us.

In my immediate area, UPS is consistently the most reliable and easiest to deal with. Their tracking is accurate, and if you're not home for signature-required delivery, they keep trying. They bring every package to our door, so we never have to worry about theft with them. We have a regular driver who has figured out when people are home and takes care of things very well. I've never had them lose anything. We have a Staples very close by that has a UPS counter, and a full-service UPS store a bit further.

We have no equivalent with Fedex -- nowhere to buy their packaging, nowhere convenient to drop something off, no way to get them to pack something for you. The local drivers don't follow up nearly as well if you're not home, which results in fairly regular hassles over getting stuff delivered. My apartment building has no doorman or secure place to drop packages.

USPS used to be really bad -- they had this weird thing going where the regular mail came from one post office, and larger packages came from a different post office. If you weren't home for a delivery, the package guys would in theory try again, and after the second attempt would leave it at the regular-mail PO for pickup. In practice, they just automatically sent all packages to the regular PO, and never tried to deliver any, so we always had to go to the post office (about a 15 minute walk away) to pick up packages. It turned out that there had been a guy with the package route was was an army reservist who got deployed for multiple tours overseas. During that time, other people filled in and basically blew off the job. When the regular guy finally got out of the army he returned to our package PO and straightened everything out and we started getting package deliveries again. Over the last years, they've gotten steadily more reliable, and having a PO within walking distance makes them a better option than Fedex, but I still trust UPS more to get a package to me.

User Info Menu

Glad to see your guitar has resurfaced. I currently live in a rural area and have for the last 23 years. I have a lot of deliveries to my house. The only time something has just plain disappeared i.e never to be seen again is with USPS. I've had two USPS deliveries that went missing for as long as 8 days. Others that have gone on circuitous routes hundreds of miles from my house. The most recent was a couple of months ago where an order shipped from Atlanta went past my town and visited Miami before coming back to Jacksonville. Another recent "Priority" package went to the wrong PO and sat there for 4 days where it was then sent back to the distribution center and then sent to my PO. That took 10 days and I had to call the both POs.

USPS doesn't deliver to my door so if it isn't small enough to fit in my mailbox I have to pick it up at the PO which is about 6 miles from my house. Not that big a deal. And don't get me started on "SurePost". That service combines the worst of UPS or FedEx with USPS.

My most reliable delivery service is UPS. There latest tracking system is very good and can pinpoint its progress to the street level. I have only had 2 UPS drivers in the past 11 years and they both have given me their cell phone numbers so if I'm in the area, I can call them and get my delivery from them i.e. their delivery area will be dozens of miles wide. They don't mind because it cuts out a long drive.

Fedex is a bit of a mixed bag because where I live a number of deliveries are handled by independent contractors who are not driving FedEx trucks but in some cases using their personal cars and some of my deliveries have occurred as late as 11:00 PM. And where I live, it is pitch black at night and if you show up at 11:00 PM, and I'm not expecting you, my dogs will be meeting you at my gate.

got the guitar, this on both sides

How likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???-neck-crack-closeup-jpg

User Info Menu

That sucks! Guess it got handled way more than it should of. Law of averages... sorry it worked that way for you.

User Info Menu

Ouch! Carton took a big shock, no?

Seller is now saying it was like that when he shipped. He is not allowing me to return it.

User Info Menu

Seller is now saying it was like that when he shipped. He is not allowing me to return it.
    And this doesn't qualify as undisclosed damage because?

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    And this doesn't qualify as undisclosed damage because?
    I have no idea. He's actually a well known player so I'm really shocked at his lack of responsibility.