The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 156

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Moot point right now since USPS has no idea where the guitar is...I have the dreaded "Arriving late but still in progress" message now...
    This happened to a guitar I shipped last week. Only a day delay. I have another guitar in transit. Hope your guitar and mine arrive safely!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    This happened to a guitar I shipped last week. Only a day delay. I have another guitar in transit. Hope your guitar and mine arrive safely!
    Thanks, same to you!

User Info Menu

The USPS got raped by the current Postmaster General, who dictated the removal of automated sorting machines from many distribution centers and is cutting back on delivery times. Some packages are being delayed. I just got one that was delayed by a couple of days. But in general, the good old USPS works well, and I trust it more than the competition. Those have been having huge delays.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The USPS got raped by the current Postmaster General, who dictated the removal of automated sorting machines from many distribution centers and is cutting back on delivery times. Some packages are being delayed. I just got one that was delayed by a couple of days. But in general, the good old USPS works well, and I trust it more than the competition. Those have been having huge delays.
    While I don’t disagree about the USPS getting kneecapped, their tracking was pretty atrocious to begin with.

User Info Menu

IME, over the past decades, their tracking is better than UPS or Fedex, and is accurate. When I first started using the USPS, about 65 years or so ago, there was no tracking available. Your package came when the rural mail carrier brought it. Our mailbox was about 1/4 mile from the house, up on the road, and I got a lot of exercise checking to see if something I had sent away for had arrived. Weeks were the norm, not a couple of days. But when the digital age dawned, and online tracking became possible, I found that the post office was reliable and fast, compared to any competitor, and still is. The only iffy part is when a seller prints a shipping label, and then doesn't actually put the package in the mailbox for a few days. Once the USPS has the package, the tracking is usually very good. Since the pandemic started, I get packages almost every week, and I know when the will arrive most of the time. I'm sometimes surprised by an early delivery. I've never been surprised that way by UPS or Fedex.

User Info Menu

IME, over the past decades, their tracking is better than UPS or Fedex, and is accurate. When I first started using the USPS, about 65 years or so ago, there was no tracking available. Your package came when the rural mail carrier brought it. Our mailbox was about 1/4 mile from the house, up on the road, and I got a lot of exercise checking to see if something I had sent away for had arrived. Weeks were the norm, not a couple of days. But when the digital age dawned, and online tracking became possible, I found that the post office was reliable and fast, compared to any competitor, and still is. The only iffy part is when a seller prints a shipping label, and then doesn't actually put the package in the mailbox for a few days. Once the USPS has the package, the tracking is usually very good. Since the pandemic started, I get packages almost every week, and I know when the will arrive most of the time. I'm sometimes surprised by an early delivery. I've never been surprised that way by UPS or Fedex.
    Your experience has been drastically different than mine.

User Info Menu

On tracking: trackingmore.com is far more accurate than UPS, at least seen from my angle. I have a hunch that couriers with standard and premium services often rest the standard parcels at a hub for a few days to justify the price premium of faster services. No tracking update during those days. In high season, the delays become more pronounced. Last fall, UPS was so swamped in Cologne that "Expedited", i.e. lowest-rate, parcels had to wait for weeks for a slot on the cargo plane. Postal services relying on space on scheduled commercial flights are even worse off due to Covid-induced scarcity of flights, and worse with tracking info. I'm telling my customers to spend the extra $20 for speedier delivery, but most of the time the reply is: "I can wait." For lowly, indestructible speakers, understandable, but for a fragile $$$$ guitar, saving in shipping is saving in the wrong place.

I have had the opposite experience. Regarding tracking, UPS now has a GPS tracker for their tracking and you can literally follow your delivery via online maps. USPS has been the absolute worst shipper for me for anything related to amps or guitars. This has been borne over and over with disasters. Just last week I received this wonderful package from USPS...

But this game USPS plays of "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. " really just means they have no !@#$ clue where it is.

How likely is a hand carved archtop surviving a week lost in 12°F weather???-20220103_143451-jpg

User Info Menu

benedetto bambino
    Paul Bollenback is using a Benedetto Benny now. I heard him play a duo with Peter Bernstein, and the Benny made PB's guitar sound like a much clumsier instrument to play. Do you know if he still has the Borys Jazz Solid?

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Paul Bollenback is using a Benedetto Benny now. I heard him play a duo with Peter Bernstein, and the Benny made PB's guitar sound like a much clumsier instrument to play. Do you know if he still has the Borys Jazz Solid?
    I'm pretty sure he's playing a bambino. Doesn't sound clumsy to me and i'm not sure how a guitar could make someone sound clumsy. I don't know if he still has the bory's but he's not an endorser for them anymore so I'm guessing , no.

Dan Wilson is also playing a bambino now. Also not clumsy.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure he's playing a bambino. Doesn't sound clumsy to me and i'm not sure how a guitar could make someone sound clumsy. I don't know if he still has the bory's but he's not an endorser for them anymore so I'm guessing , no.

I forgot they had the same initials! Let's just say Paul's sound blew Peter's away, IMHO. I want one of those things, too! How much do they go for used?

I forgot they had the same initials! Let's just say Paul's sound blew Peter's away, IMHO. I want one of those things, too! How much do they go for used?
    Typically $3500ish but more for the elite model like rodney jones plays

User Info Menu

What's that on the upper bass bout, pickholder?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    What's that on the upper bass bout, pickholder?
    Yes. He used to put the pick between index and middle finger when switching from pick to fingers but I'm guessing it's harder to do that these days...

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say PB's sound blew away Pete's but I certainly prefer it. Kinda hard to compare the smaller thinner Benedetto w built in pickups to a full depth acoustic Zeidler w a floater, they're really apples and oranges. But that's probably why I gave up playing guitars w floaters years ago, I like that thicker less acoustic sound that built in pu guitars have.

User Info Menu

I just looked up my email to him, and you're right- he was playing a Bambino. They were playing at an apt. so rather than bring an amp, he used a Fishman they had at the place. He said:
    " "I’ve been using a GK powered bass speaker cabinet, closed back 12 inches, with a quilter tone block 202 in front of it. But in this case it was easier to walk to the gig, and just use what was there ha ha.

In front of whatever amp I use I put a Boss GT1 multi effects processor, but just using the preamp settings, and a nice long reverb. That was pretty much it!"
    He said he digs the sound of it, but most of all the intonation of the Bambino. He was burning!

User Info Menu

Paul still doesn't get enough props though I have no idea why unless it's because he was literally in Joey D's shadow for years, but that was a long time ago. Wilson gets better every time I hear him and escaped the shadow early, though the exposure probably didn't hurt a kid from Akron.

User Info Menu

Paul still doesn't get enough props though I have no idea why unless it's because he was literally in Joey D's shadow for years, but that was a long time ago. Wilson gets better every time I hear him and escaped the shadow early, though the exposure probably didn't hurt a kid from Akron.
    Looks like the Eagles got into the playoffs, and the Giants get to sit home and watch them on TV as usual.
    Another pitiful year for Big Blue. At least they got rid of Gettleman and Judge.
    Fly Eagles, Fly!

User Info Menu

Yeah but they're playing the goat and will probably get bounced in the first round, he's still po'd losing to them in the Supe in '17.
    By the way Judge is from here, we sent him up there to sabotage the Gmen and it worked, but we were counting on him getting more than 2 yrs

User Info Menu

Typically $3500ish but more for the elite model like rodney jones plays
    Do you, Paul and Dan all have Deluxe models, or the original Bambinos?

User Info Menu

Yeah but they're playing the goat and will probably get bounced in the first round, he's still po'd losing to them in the Supe in '17.
    By the way Judge is from here, we sent him up there to sabotage the Gmen and it worked, but we were counting on him getting more than 2 yrs
    I knew you guys had something to do with it! He's probably getting a huge kickback for destroying what was left of the Giants!
    When he helped get Garrett fired, I knew there was something going on. At least with Garrett they scored more than three points a game!

Do you, Paul and Dan all have Deluxe models, or the original Bambinos?
    I don't have anything because USPS can't locate it now. The seller and I are now suspicious that it may have been stolen by an employee...Even the "arriving later than expected" messages have stopped getting updated. Last update was 2 days ago.

But...I ordered the regular, not the deluxe. Paul and Dan also have the regular. Rodney Jones is playing the deluxe

I think it's because Paul was so modern in his younger playing days. IMO, Dan's style is more accessible. Over the years, Paul has allowed more tradition into his vocabulary but during his early years he was full of modern 4ths, 5ths, wide intervals, polyrhythmic ideas, etc. The musicians loved it but I think the audiences were a little further behind...

Dan's a genius and a prodigy and a once in a generation talent. It was recognized early and he's been able to play with some of the greats very early on. Interestingly, he also did a stint with Joey D.

User Info Menu

I think it's because Paul was so modern in his younger playing days. IMO, Dan's style is more accessible. Over the years, Paul has allowed more tradition into his vocabulary but during his early years he was full of modern 4ths, 5ths, wide intervals, polyrhythmic ideas, etc. The musicians loved it but I think the audiences were a little further behind...

Dan's a genius and a prodigy and a once in a generation talent. It was recognized early and he's been able to play with some of the greats very early on. Interestingly, he also did a stint with Joey D.
    Yeah, I was surprised to find out in that interview he gave with that guitarist interviewing dude that PB came from a heavy rock lead guitarist background. I guess that accounts for the pentatonic stuff he used to throw into all his solos.
    In the guitar duo with Peter Bernstein, he was clearly straight ahead, played all hip tunes, and didn't play any of the pentatonic bag that he used to play. They both played so great that they should make a record out of that performance. I reacted the same way I did when Lenny Breau played a duo with Tal Farlow; the clarity of LB's guitar compared to the blurred sound of Tal's axe made me run out and get a Borys Jazz Solid. I got Kent Armstrong's version of a DeArmond RC1100 put into it, and through my Corus and RS-10, it gets that clarity, but still sounds like a jazz archtop. A bass player thought it was a 'real' D'Aquisto on a recent gig. After hearing Paul, I might want to check out using the Boss GT1 Multi Effects Processor on pre-amp setting like he does.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with that Bambino. They're in heavy demand right now; I couldn't find one available on a long search I did last night. The only ones that were available were from that insane Japanese fleece shop on Ebay, which sells things at four times their usual price. They want 20K for a Bambino, so I'd be suspicious of any online offers for one. I hope things turn out okay for you.

User Info Menu

I don't have anything because USPS can't locate it now. The seller and I are now suspicious that it may have been stolen by an employee...Even the "arriving later than expected" messages have stopped getting updated. Last update was 2 days ago.

But...I ordered the regular, not the deluxe. Paul and Dan also have the regular. Rodney Jones is playing the deluxe
    I think they have three Bambinos now- the regular ones that they first made, the Deluxe with F-holes, and the Elite that goes for a lot more than the other two.