The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I received an email of a Flying V Gibson with the Murphy Lab
    treatment, advertised by TMZ asking price ,,,,,,,$25,999.00 .
    I just hope it's a send up ? I cannot believe this is genuine.
    There is nothing wrong with the good old Gibson Custom Shop
    except they' re not building the guitars that their reputation was
    built upon, our beloved Archtops.

despairingly, Silverfoxx

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Generational Values have changed! And few well off people want the older treasures any longer.

Good News is there are many used wonderful Archtops available at this time.

User Info Menu

Lobonov,
    You are quite right, and when I see them "flying " off the shelves I;ll be happy
    to be proved wrong , but quite honestly I would not pay that figure for any
    guitar, one could have a Campellone, a used Borys, and a couple of nice
    Gibsons , and change.

silverfoxx.

User Info Menu

Didn't someone once say something about fools money and something parted?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Didn't someone once say something about fools money and something parted?
    My Old Man. Every week, when I would turn my 25 cents allowance into five coverless (off-book, I think contraband) comic books, which I would devour while the rest of my family browsed the goods in the Mom-and-Pop grocery store where we got foodstuffs. One week the whole family piled into the '55 Bel Aire and got halfway home before they missed me, turned around and came back to pick me up. I was still there, reading, and utterly oblivious to my temporary abandonment. Loved those mags. Never did send away for the Sea Monkeys....

As far as exotic Gibsons, I'd rather have an Explorer than a Vee. As it happens, Mrs. k dislikes both, so I will happily console myself with other guitars. I have a few.

User Info Menu

Those are ultra-limited runs that Gibson did for collectors with nothing but disposable income. I've heard of them selling for $75k - no joke.

User Info Menu

Citizen74

I got the Sea Monkeys. Lotta work to keep alive and healthy. I knew nothing about salt water aquariums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzWhiteBelt
    Those are ultra-limited runs that Gibson did for collectors with nothing but disposable income. I've heard of them selling for $75k - no joke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Citizen74

I got the Sea Monkeys. Lotta work to keep alive and healthy. I knew nothing about salt water aquariums.
    Well done! I passed on the X-Ray specs and the Charles Atlas ads, but I did send away for more info on the (as it turned out). A.M.O.R.C., but that may have been from reading Popular Mechanics or some such. Reader's Digest held no interest, ad-wise, but did introduce me to The Atlantic Monthly, to which decades later I would subscribe, along with Foreign Affairs and Guitar Player. Great thing, the Post Office.

User Info Menu

Sadly Gibson has closed the door on the jazz community that loves their archtop guitars.
    We have become the red headed step children to them. So what do we do ?
    We go elsewhere. Campellone and Borys are swamped with orders. Jazz is not dead but sadly Gibson doesn’t see that.

With the prices going off the charts Gibson guitars won’t be going into too many player’s hands. They will be a collector item on a display wall.
    Even if they bring back the 175 it will cost more than a L5 did 10 years ago.

I have to eat my words and say I miss Henry J. SS (Marco) you were right about him.
    You always defended him and he pumped out great archtops.

User Info Menu

I have to say I really don’t understand paying classic vintage money for a new guitar.
    I own a reissue les Paul, but bought 5 years ago when prices were more sane. I wouldn’t buy a new one now at current prices.

to me the vintage gibsons have so much more character than new and better feeling necks, they still can’t really match the old necks.
    Last edited by 6v6ster; 01-11-2022 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Sadly Gibson has closed the door on the jazz community that loves their archtop guitars.
    We have become the red headed step children to them. So what do we do ?
    We go elsewhere. Campellone and Borys are swamped with orders. Jazz is not dead but sadly Gibson doesn’t see that.

With the prices going off the charts Gibson guitars won’t be going into too many player’s hands. They will be a collector item on a display wall.
    Even if they bring back the 175 it will cost more than a L5 did 10 years ago.

I have to eat my words and say I miss Henry J. SS (Marco) you were right about him.
    You always defended him and he pumped out great archtops.
    My pal Rick Turner (the celebrated luthier) worked for Henry J. (Directly) and does not say kind things about the man, so I have to assume that Henry J. was not a nice boss, but he did save Gibson from the brink of destruction. And IMO, the archtops that Gibson produced in the 90's are right up there with any other period in their history (The 2000-2017 archtops are mostly pretty damn good as well, though I have played a few duds from that era). It was the bankers who now own Gibson (KKR) who turned their back on jazz guitarists, not Henry J. Henry J. respected the tradition. I would like to imagine that in the afterlife, Orville Gibson will be greeting Henry J. warmly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    My Old Man. Every week, when I would turn my 25 cents allowance into five coverless (off-book, I think contraband) comic books, which I would devour while the rest of my family browsed the goods in the Mom-and-Pop grocery store where we got foodstuffs. One week the whole family piled into the '55 Bel Aire and got halfway home before they missed me, turned around and came back to pick me up. I was still there, reading, and utterly oblivious to my temporary abandonment. Loved those mags. Never did send away for the Sea Monkeys....

As far as exotic Gibsons, I'd rather have an Explorer than a Vee. As it happens, Mrs. k dislikes both, so I will happily console myself with other guitars. I have a few.
    I bought 2-3 comic books a week from about age 7 to 12. And then I moved into Mad Magazine, Cracked, Creepy and Vampirella. Comic books were a door into a beautiful world of drama and fantasy. I will credit them for improving my reading skills and starting my interest in science.

My Dad didn't poopoo the comic books. A) he was glad to have me reading anything, even something with pictures and lurid titles like "Batman and Superman battle to the death." BTW, I was about 60% DC, 35% Marvel and 5% "other". I had some nice first editions from the 60's. And B) they kept me quiet in the back seat of the car on long car drives.

I sold my collection about 10 years ago for a couple of hundred dollars. Unfortunately, we had a fire at my family's house that smoke damaged all the comics, and of course they are not worth much unless extremely rare or in extremely good condition.

Re' Gibsons I agree with the Explorer, Firebird and vintage Les's. The V is pretty much just a gimmick, obviously a very successful one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My pal Rick Turner (the celebrated luthier) worked for Henry J. (Directly) and does not say kind things about the man, so I have to assume that Henry J. was not a nice boss, but he did save Gibson from the brink of destruction. And IMO, the archtops that Gibson produced in the 90's are right up there with any other period in their history (The 2000-2017 archtops are mostly pretty damn good as well, though I have played a few duds from that era). It was the bankers who now own Gibson (KKR) who turned their back on jazz guitarists, not Henry J. Henry J. respected the tradition. I would like to imagine that in the afterlife, Orville Gibson will be greeting Henry J. warmly.
    Yep I don't think I've ever said anything bad about Henry's commitment to guitar making, though his business acumen regarding other investments is subject to criticism.

User Info Menu

I played a friend's Flying Vee many moons ago, in my youth, and I didn't like it. I've never understood their appeal. When I read this thread my thoughts are that some people have more money than brains. I hope that doesn't insult anyone!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

some people have more money than brains
    Or more dollars than sense.