The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 104 of 104
    It's great that people keep posting I'm very happy with my sound especially after pickup change. I tried low volume high amp volume, didn't like it much, maybe cause VOX. I like the punch of max volume, maybe for more acoustic sounds lower volume will be better, or maybe my pickups are far enough already and work better on max volume. Anyway, I still can't get myself to record something, knowing how bad the quality will be via phone, but I'll see what I can do

So far things that helped the most (no particular order)

1. pick change gave me that tight and dull attack sound (ESP pick)
    2. pickup change to Super 58. Huge difference in clarity.
    3. tweaking the amp, basically removing all bass and most treble, and adjusting (upping) the tone on the guitar instead, not too much, less than half.
    4. with the ceramic ACHs lowering the pickups was the most drastic change, but as I switched to these other ones, I saw that too low didn't work at all, I'm still a bit low , but with ACHs I was around 3-4mm , with alnicos it's 2.5-3 depending on the side and pickup.
    Bridge low end can be 3.5mm.
    5. this will be the last step, getting a new SS amp.

Obviously string gauge matters as well. And well, it's not an adjustment, since I've been playing like that for ages, but one of the things that help me with my sound are upstrokes. Even with the best sound, downstrokes at standard pick angle sound wrong to me, but depends on what sound you're after. Of course I don't use only ups, but outside of alternate picking, you know , when you're just playing some melodies, most people start with downstrokes and add ups on the go, I do the opposite very often, especially with single notes that I want to emphasize.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Guys I have an update. Got myself a DV Mark Jazz 12. Since I needed a darker sounding amp it does the job perfectly. Anyone here owns one? Any tips on the EQ, tweaks , do's and don'ts etc?

PS. Reverb is weird, I'm using my Line 6 verbzilla, which I underrated all this time, but it's a great great natural sounding reverb pedal.
    Last edited by ASonic; 05-28-2022 at 12:37 PM.

User Info Menu

There are several threads here discussing the DV Mark Jazz 12, as well as the Little Jazz. The reverb on them doesn't seem to be popular, but I'm not a huge reverb fan. If I can tell the reverb is on, it's too much for me. Mostly I don't use any, but sometimes either the onboard or separate HOF Mini pedal, always turned down very low. But that's just my preference. I think you'll find that positioning makes a difference in the sound, so try tilting the amp, placing closer to, and further from, the wall, elevated, on the floor, etc, and see which you prefer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ASonic
    Guys I have an update. Got myself a DV Mark Jazz 12. Since I needed a darker sounding amp it does the job perfectly. Anyone here owns one? Any tips on the EQ, tweaks , do's and don'ts etc?

PS. Reverb is weird, I'm using my Line 6 verbzilla, which I underrated all this time, but it's a great great natural sounding reverb pedal.
    Do whatever you want, mate. Unlike Fenders, the Jazz 12 has responsive controls, so don't be afraid of using them. I like getting it up on a chair, cutting the bass a little and upping the mids a little. The only deciding factor in whether it's right or wrong is whether you think it sounds good or not. Happy playing.