The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54
  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    I picked up the Henriksen JazzAmp today for $250, and sure enough, it's got reverb on it. The reverb even has it's own on and off switch, so I don't think it's a first generation, but I'll list the layout of the amp here.
    It's only one channel, and doesn't have a mic jack on the top.
    It has a line out 1/4 inch jack on the top.
    It has five tone cone controls like a Graphic Equalizer, the first 3 labeled 10kHz, 3kHz, and 1kHz, and the other two labeled 300Hz and 100Hz
    The Power Switch is also on the top of the amp.

    Other than warnings and company info, the back of the amp has a 1/4 inch jack for an extension speaker of 8 Ohms or more (which is great news, because I've got an RS-12 which would sound dynamite with this amp.
    The only other thing is has is a serial # which is 2006- **** , so maybe that means it was made in 2006?

    Volume-wise, the seller put the EQ knobs on flat, and the volume on one, and it got a beautiful sound out of my Borys Jazz Solid. Then the seller put it up to 4 and it was so loud that it was breaking up.
    Does anyone have any ideas about what generation Henriksen this is? I'll copy and paste this on the other Henriksen thread so others can see it.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    In all of this no one has mentioned the fact that the BLU series (and a few of the older models) only feature ONE volume control whereas the BUD models have an extra GAIN control - IHMO this is a MAJOR factor in dialing in specific tones and lets me hold off a purchase of a quite attractively priced BLU ....
    Thanks, I never noticed that, interesting.

  4. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    In all of this no one has mentioned the fact that the BLU series (and a few of the older models) only feature ONE volume control whereas the BUD models have an extra GAIN control - IHMO this is a MAJOR factor in dialing in specific tones and lets me hold off a purchase of a quite attractively priced BLU ....
    How big a difference that makes depends mostly on how different the sonic characters of the input and output stages are, at least in the amps I’ve had. The closer they are, the less difference it makes which is set higher and which is lower at the same volume. With perfectly transparent input & output stages, the only effect of high gain and low output volume settings would theoretically be whatever distortion is generated at higher input signal levels.

    The Bud manual says that the input gain pots are to accommodate instrument signals from low and high output devices with minimal distortion. I suspect that either the Blu is bought mostly by jazz guitarists who rarely use active pickups or that feedback from Bud buyers has been that most don’t feel they need that feature.

    I have a Blu, so I simply don’t know - I’m guessing based on experience with other amps. Do those of you who use Buds notice much of a sonic difference at the same volume levels as you turn input gain up and volume down?

  5. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I picked up the Henriksen JazzAmp today for $250, and sure enough, it's got reverb on it. The reverb even has it's own on and off switch, so I don't think it's a first generation, but I'll list the layout of the amp here.
    It's only one channel, and doesn't have a mic jack on the top.
    It has a line out 1/4 inch jack on the top.
    It has five tone cone controls like a Graphic Equalizer, the first 3 labeled 10kHz, 3kHz, and 1kHz, and the other two labeled 300Hz and 100Hz
    The Power Switch is also on the top of the amp.

    Other than warnings and company info, the back of the amp has a 1/4 inch jack for an extension speaker of 8 Ohms or more (which is great news, because I've got an RS-12 which would sound dynamite with this amp.
    The only other thing is has is a serial # which is 2006- **** , so maybe that means it was made in 2006?

    Volume-wise, the seller put the EQ knobs on flat, and the volume on one, and it got a beautiful sound out of my Borys Jazz Solid. Then the seller put it up to 4 and it was so loud that it was breaking up.
    Does anyone have any ideas about what generation Henriksen this is? I'll copy and paste this on the other Henriksen thread so others can see it.
    Bump. Someone tell me about what generation this amp is, or I shoot this puppy I'm holding up here!

  6. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Bump. Someone tell me about what generation this amp is, or I shoot this puppy I'm holding up here!
    I just blew off the puppies left ear, do I have to finish him off before I get some info on my Hendriksen?

  7. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I just blew off the puppies left ear, do I have to finish him off before I get some info on my Hendriksen?
    I shot a puppy once in Reno, just to watch him die

  8. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    I shot a puppy once in Reno, just to watch him die
    That's what these Hendriksen experts are; just a bunch of puppy sadists!
    Well, I've got him lined up in my sight right now, and we'll be having puppy chow for dinner, if I don't get some answers....

  9. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I picked up the Henriksen JazzAmp today for $250, and sure enough, it's got reverb on it. The reverb even has it's own on and off switch, so I don't think it's a first generation, but I'll list the layout of the amp here.
    It's only one channel, and doesn't have a mic jack on the top.
    It has a line out 1/4 inch jack on the top.
    It has five tone cone controls like a Graphic Equalizer, the first 3 labeled 10kHz, 3kHz, and 1kHz, and the other two labeled 300Hz and 100Hz
    The Power Switch is also on the top of the amp.

    Other than warnings and company info, the back of the amp has a 1/4 inch jack for an extension speaker of 8 Ohms or more (which is great news, because I've got an RS-12 which would sound dynamite with this amp.
    The only other thing is has is a serial # which is 2006- **** , so maybe that means it was made in 2006?

    Volume-wise, the seller put the EQ knobs on flat, and the volume on one, and it got a beautiful sound out of my Borys Jazz Solid. Then the seller put it up to 4 and it was so loud that it was breaking up.
    Does anyone have any ideas about what generation Henriksen this is? I'll copy and paste this on the other Henriksen thread so others can see it.
    I'm no expert but I don't want this puppy shot! I have a 2009, that's when I bought it new, Jazzamp 10. The baffle is painted blue and there's a circular black metal grate protecting the speaker. My controls are just like yours and everything else matches up but I can't check the serial as the amp is in my garage right now. When I first got it I brought it to a jazz jam it distorted a little too. I heard it when another guitarist used it. It wasn't terrible but not clean clean. I called the company and they told me to send it back. After a check up they said the amp was fine but the problem was the speaker and suggested a swap to a Ragin' Cajun. I agreed and when I got it back the amp didn't have the delicacy anymore but it was clean. I plugged a multifx or EQ into the input and it came alive after I goosed the input. I'm guessing the input sensitivity is on the low side and I believe the addition of a gain control to the new line-up is prolly helpful. As it is now, it's an excellent clean platform with an input goose and it can roar with that Ragin' Cajun. I found a new respect for a 10" speaker as it filled the room with a big sound. I use it with a mixed bag guitar trio and big band, though these days I'm relying more on a Quilter MP8 200 which doesn't have the headroom (and so bright!) but has that additional Mic channel so it's good for these little 1 hour gigs I get these days.
    I hope this is helpful.

    Tom

  10. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tpandela
    I'm no expert but I don't want this puppy shot! I have a 2009, that's when I bought it new, Jazzamp 10. The baffle is painted blue and there's a circular black metal grate protecting the speaker. My controls are just like yours and everything else matches up but I can't check the serial as the amp is in my garage right now. When I first got it I brought it to a jazz jam it distorted a little too. I heard it when another guitarist used it. It wasn't terrible but not clean clean. I called the company and they told me to send it back. After a check up they said the amp was fine but the problem was the speaker and suggested a swap to a Ragin' Cajun. I agreed and when I got it back the amp didn't have the delicacy anymore but it was clean. I plugged a multifx or EQ into the input and it came alive after I goosed the input. I'm guessing the input sensitivity is on the low side and I believe the addition of a gain control to the new line-up is prolly helpful. As it is now, it's an excellent clean platform with an input goose and it can roar with that Ragin' Cajun. I found a new respect for a 10" speaker as it filled the room with a big sound. I use it with a mixed bag guitar trio and big band, though these days I'm relying more on a Quilter MP8 200 which doesn't have the headroom (and so bright!) but has that additional Mic channel so it's good for these little 1 hour gigs I get these days.
    I hope this is helpful.

    Tom
    Thanks for giving me a good idea of which model I bought. I was afraid that for $250, I got one of the old 60 watt models, but it seems that it's got to be one of the later 120 watt models without a fan.
    I've got a big band thing coming up in a few days. so that will be the real test of its usability in a gig situation. I bought it as a backup amp for my AI Corus, which can handle anything except a rock-type show which I've got coming up in a few weeks. I use my PV Transtube EFX112, which can get any sound I want with only one pedal.
    Since my new Henriksen has an extension speaker jack for 8 ohm speakers, I can use my RS-12, which makes my Corus sound so big, it filled up a 500 seat theater I played a while ago.
    At very least , I won't have to depend on my JazzKat amp anymore as a backup amp, which is the most inconsistent amp I've ever had.

    The puppy also thanks you, although living with one ear will greatly affect his quality of life. Still, dogs are very resilient; my ex-GF had a poodle that was deaf, blind and only had three legs. She would take him for a walk, telling him that they were headed for all types of disaster spots, like the Titanic, the WTC, and even worse, and the poor pup would enthusiastically wag what was left of his tail, and limp out after her.

    The rest of you will receive photos of my one-eared pup, that will haunt you for the rest of your days.

  11. #35

    User Info Menu

    Please don't shoot that puppy. I've never seen a Henriksen in person, so I have no idea whatsoever what model you have, or what exists. I can't help, but I don't want to see a puppy hurt either. A cat, fine, but not a puppy.

  12. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Please don't shoot that puppy. I've never seen a Henriksen in person, so I have no idea whatsoever what model you have, or what exists. I can't help, but I don't want to see a puppy hurt either. A cat, fine, but not a puppy.
    Well, it's too late to save the little guy's ear, but someone replied to my plea, so the pup should live a long, half deaf life.
    I'll also spare you the photo of the the little guy minus one ear, because of your non-Henriksen status, and your long years of service, providing us with technical advice on JGO and RMMGJ these many years. Wintermoon will also be spared because all he's ever used are Fenders.
    But all the Henricksen JazzAmp owners must either congratulate on my great deal (the whole point of this thread at this point) or give me some info on the amp, or the cursed photo of the one eared puppy shall be in their PMs by Monday.

  13. #37

    User Info Menu

    If you could post a photo of the amp it could help. The description does sound like my Henriksen, which was a first generation 60 watt one. Here are some photos of it. (The "off" near the power button is mine )

    Different generation Henriksen amps-2016-11-24-15-34-17_zpsyemmfzet-jpgDifferent generation Henriksen amps-2016-11-24-15-33-46_zpsd71y3xrs-jpgDifferent generation Henriksen amps-2016-11-24-15-34-05_zps7fnw3koa-jpg

  14. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    If you could post a photo of the amp it could help. The description does sound like my Henriksen, which was a first generation 60 watt one. Here are some photos of it. (The "off" near the power button is mine )

    Different generation Henriksen amps-2016-11-24-15-34-17_zpsyemmfzet-jpgDifferent generation Henriksen amps-2016-11-24-15-33-46_zpsd71y3xrs-jpgDifferent generation Henriksen amps-2016-11-24-15-34-05_zps7fnw3koa-jpg
    YES! That is exactly the same as my amp. What I don't understand is why they both have Reverb, when it was clearly stated that the first generation amp did NOT have reverb, and Henriksen only added it on later generations of the JazzAmp. Apparently that is wrong; he did have reverb on 1st generation JazzAmps. Does yours have a Fan?

    Do you use it as your first amp? Can you use it to solo in a big band, or a small group with a loud drummer? Do you have to use an extension speaker with it when playing a big hall? Have you had any problems with it? Please add anything else about the amp you want to.
    Thanks!

  15. #39

    User Info Menu

    I don't think mine had a fan, i think at the time there was a model with reverb and one without. I bought mine direct from Henriksen.

    I enjoyed that amp, kept it for about ten years. I mostly gigged it with an organ trio and had no problem keeping up with a Leslie cabinet and loud drums. On bigger gigs we just miked the amp, but I played a lot of gigs with it unmiked too.

    With my 335 I usually played around 1-2 o clock volume, and could get a grant green type of sound easily. It was probably the most tube like solid state amp I've had (and I had tried pretty much everything available at the time).

    I eventually sold it just to try something new. I'll probably buy a Blu 6 this year after unloading a couple more amps. I think Henriksen had the chance to really evolve his amps, since they were so successful and he got so much feedback from gigging players. This is the amp that built him that reputation.

  16. #40

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I don't think mine had a fan, i think at the time there was a model with reverb and one without. I bought mine direct from Henriksen.

    I enjoyed that amp, kept it for about ten years. I mostly gigged it with an organ trio and had no problem keeping up with a Leslie cabinet and loud drums. On bigger gigs we just miked the amp, but I played a lot of gigs with it unmiked too.

    With my 335 I usually played around 1-2 o clock volume, and could get a grant green type of sound easily. It was probably the most tube like solid state amp I've had (and I had tried pretty much everything available at the time).

    I eventually sold it just to try something new. I'll probably buy a Blu 6 this year after unloading a couple more amps. I think Henriksen had the chance to really evolve his amps, since they were so successful and he got so much feedback from gigging players. This is the amp that built him that reputation.
    Thanks, no earless puppy photo for you.

  17. #41

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    YES! That is exactly the same as my amp. What I don't understand is why they both have Reverb, when it was clearly stated that the first generation amp did NOT have reverb, and Henriksen only added it on later generations of the JazzAmp. Apparently that is wrong; he did have reverb on 1st generation JazzAmps. Does yours have a Fan?

    Do you use it as your first amp? Can you use it to solo in a big band, or a small group with a loud drummer? Do you have to use an extension speaker with it when playing a big hall? Have you had any problems with it? Please add anything else about the amp you want to.
    Thanks!
    That's a picture of a second generation Jazzamp; the first generation definitely had no reverb, as Bud at that time refused to install it ( he relented eventually, but only installed the most basic oil-can sounding reverb chip). I bought a very early one, and was in frequent correspondence with Bud about it, at the time. He was of the strong opinion that a reverb chip would degrade the signal path. The first generation amp was also distinguished by a loud pop from the power switch, and by a slight hum due to the power transformer being placed too close to the speaker. There was no fan on first generation amps.

    As someone said above, Bud got lots of player feedback, and the amps went through various iterations over the years, to end up where they are today

    Another distinguishing feature of the first and second generation amps was the warning message on the back. Paraphrasing .." Do not use in situations of high humidity, such as in the bath or in a rainstorm". Bud H had a quirky sense of humour.

  18. #42

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    That's a picture of a second generation Jazzamp; the first generation definitely had no reverb, as Bud at that time refused to install it ( he relented eventually, but only installed the most basic oil-can sounding reverb chip). I bought a very early one, and was in frequent correspondence with Bud about it, at the time. He was of the strong opinion that a reverb chip would degrade the signal path. The first generation amp was also distinguished by a loud pop from the power switch, and by a slight hum due to the power transformer being placed too close to the speaker. There was no fan on first generation amps.

    As someone said above, Bud got lots of player feedback, and the amps went through various iterations over the years, to end up where they are today

    Another distinguishing feature of the first and second generation amps was the warning message on the back. Paraphrasing .." Do not use in situations of high humidity, such as in the bath or in a rainstorm". Bud H had a quirky sense of humour.
    Mine definitely has the warning not to play it in the the bathtub or a rainstorm, and my first thought was, "this guy is nuts!", then I realized he had to be kidding.
    There's no mention of wattage on the amp, so would you say this is 60 watts or 120 watts?
    I'll be using it tonight with a big band, so I'll listen for the pop on the volume control and the hum.
    One thing is certain, a picture of a one-eared puppy is going out tonight to Greece or the UK.

  19. #43

    User Info Menu

    Henriksen made a smart move. Cant be sure Stella Liebeck doesnt pick up jazz guitar…

  20. #44

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    Henriksen made a smart move. Cant be sure Stella Liebeck doesnt pick up jazz guitar…
    He also has something on the back of the amp about not drinking MacDonald's coffee when using the Henriksen JazzAmps, so he's covered every way.

    I used the Henriksen tonight with the big band and it sounded good for ensemble playing, but I didn't get any solos, so I'll have to see next week if it has enough presence to stand out in a solo. I never turned it above two, and it was fine for comping and playing fills. For $250, I'm more than satisfied. Maybe I'll just super glue the pup's ear back on, and forget the whole picture thing.

  21. #45

    User Info Menu

    If it sounds good with an averagely-loud big band, it's probably a 120W model. The 60w model didn't last very long, it distorted at quite low volumes; I used mine for some hotel background quartet gigs at the time, and even at that modest level, the amp sounding grainy. I believe player feedback quickly made it clear that 60w with a relatively inefficient PA speaker wasn't going to cut it, and so they upped the power.

    That said, i still think that Bud H had a great idea with that 5 band eq; a step up from most other jazz amps - where it's still all about the midrange

  22. #46

    User Info Menu

    Here's some pics of my 2009 JazzAmp. it's a 120 watt version. I have used it sparingly these past couple years but previously it was my main amp, supplanting my Razers Edge twin 8 with AI 200 watt head. It sounds brilliant with a Boss GP-10 set clean pushing the input. I'm thinking of going back to that setup for certain gigs. Geez, as I look at the preview, I see it could have used a a bit of cleaning before I photographed it. Sorry 'bout that.

    Different generation Henriksen amps-img_0458-jpgDifferent generation Henriksen amps-img_0459-jpgDifferent generation Henriksen amps-img_0460-jpg

  23. #47

    User Info Menu

    Looks like that amp has an Eminence Ragin' Cajun guitar speaker in there ( the cones are that unusual light colour). If so, it will be louder than the stock jazzamp speaker, a beta 10 PA speaker. Not a bad modification

  24. #48

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tpandela
    Here's some pics of my 2009 JazzAmp. it's a 120 watt version. I have used it sparingly these past couple years but previously it was my main amp, supplanting my Razers Edge twin 8 with AI 200 watt head. It sounds brilliant with a Boss GP-10 set clean pushing the input. I'm thinking of going back to that setup for certain gigs. Geez, as I look at the preview, I see it could have used a a bit of cleaning before I photographed it. Sorry 'bout that.

    Different generation Henriksen amps-img_0458-jpgDifferent generation Henriksen amps-img_0459-jpgDifferent generation Henriksen amps-img_0460-jpg
    Thanks, but it looks exactly like Alter's amp. Your amp doesn't have the the blue coloring on the top of the knobs, and has the power and reverb knob in different places. The back of the amp doesn't have anything about the wattage listed either.

  25. #49

    User Info Menu

    Bottom r/h corner says JazzAmp 110, 160 Watts.

  26. #50

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Bottom r/h corner says JazzAmp 110, 160 Watts.
    That's the a/c power consumption, not the output power.