The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Looking at some gig bags from Ibanez for a probable incoming LGB30.
    They seem inexpensive so I'm
    wondering if they are of good quality and how to know which would fit a lgb30 in addition to the one recommended by Ibanez.
    Or others around $150. Range
    Thx

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently bought this for my AF200 https://www.amazon.de/-/en/IBANEZ-Po...1298233&sr=8-1

User Info Menu

For the last 4 years I've been using this one from Mono. I'm constantly on the road/train and it's great! You can find them pretty cheap when on sale. I have an Ibanez AF151 which is roughly the same size as the LGB30.

Here's a link: Sleeve Acoustic Guitar Case, Black – MONO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    14 inch, isn't it? Have a look at the Mono for classical guitar. This bag is perfect for both my 14 inch archtops. Gator and some other brands have good bags too, but also needs to be the bag for classical guitar.
    According to the Ibanez spec sheet, the lower bout is 15 3/4”.

Quote Originally Posted by VesaW
    I recently bought this for my AF200 https://www.amazon.de/-/en/IBANEZ-Po...1298233&sr=8-1
    That’s the one I use for my AF207. It’s a very nice bag, and even more so for the price. But be aware that the zipper stops a few inches forward of the tail end of the guitar and doesn’t go all the way around the headstock. It opens wide enough to get the instrument in and out with no problem, but you can’t just grab the guitar and lift it out - you have to hold the top up and guide it in and out. It’s made very well, looks and carries great, and has remained free of scuffs and dirt even though I got the light tan version.

If I didn’t also have the original hard case in which to keep the AF and protect it in bad weather and among luggage etc in the trunk, I’d probably have bought the Gator GT-Acoustic-TP. The Mono is also a very fine bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    According to the Ibanez spec sheet, the lower bout is 15 3/4”.
    Thanks for the correction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    Thanks for the correction.
    I’ve loved Ibanez since the late ‘70s and have collected many of their catalogs as well as their guitars. My first Ibby was a very fancy double cut semi hollow showpiece from the 1976 (?) NAMM show. Harry Rosenbloom’s music store (Medley) had been in our neighborhood for years and I knew the crew well. I got a call from them that they were given this guitar to sell and thought I’d love it. They were right! It was one of their first attempts to get away from the Gibson lookalikes - it had that now classic chevron shaped stop tail, new Ibanez pickups, a very non-Gibson woody sunburst finish, and more abalone than the South Pacific.

If you don’t know who Harry was, look him up for an interesting read. He was the prime force behind the lawsuit guitar industry and the success of Ibanez / Hoshino in the US.

So the quality of the Ibanez cases are good?
    15 3/4 bout is correct so I guess I need to chk with Ibanez to see what the options are for the LGB30.
    Seem very reasonable for what appears to be a nice bag.
    Good point about being able to slide the guitar out without sliding across the zipper.
    D'Angelico bag was really difficult not to scratch the guitar on the way in and out.
    ...bought the HS case for it instead.

User Info Menu

Mono or Continental by Reunion Blues!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    So the quality of the Ibanez cases are good?
    15 3/4 bout is correct so I guess I need to chk with Ibanez to see what the options are for the LGB30.
    Seem very reasonable for what appears to be a nice bag.
    Good point about being able to slide the guitar out without sliding across the zipper.
    D'Angelico bag was really difficult not to scratch the guitar on the way in and out.
    ...bought the HS case for it instead.
    The Ibanez PowerPad gigbags are very well made. I've been carrying my archtop to the club in it weekly and keeping the guitar in it in my gear closet. I take the guitar out of it at least 4 or 5 times a week at home, sliding the bag in and out of the closet between two other cases on the shelf. At the club, I move the guitar into and out of it on top of the keyboard on a very tight stage. I stuff it between the Hammond and the wall during the show to keep my spares, strings etc handy, and it still looks new. The zipper teeth look and feel like heavy duty nylon. They seem very smooth and well finished, and they haven't put a mark on my guitar yet. This is the one I got:

Gig bag for Ibanez LGB30-gigbag-jpg

The pouches and pockets are very roomy, easy to access, and solid. Stitching seems quite fine and the materials have a quality look and feel. I'm very happy I bought it.

They do look good, have to say.
    ...no issues with the guitar not sliding over the zipper?

Would this fit an lgb30?thx

User Info Menu

I wouldn't use a gig bag for anything other than a sacrificial/throwaway guitar. You have no chance in a worst case scenario. Buy a quality, lightweight, hard case.
    Marinero

Depends on what you Worst case scenario is, hardshell may not hold up either... at least the gigbag isn't sticking out lookig for a target /also, Ibanez cases aren't that strong.....
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 01-08-2022 at 06:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    They do look good, have to say.
    ...no issues with the guitar not sliding over the zipper?

Would this fit an lgb30?thx
    No issues at all! I think it should fit, but you can check the dimensions on the Ibanez site. I don’t know the overall length of the LGB30. It holds my AF207 very well, but the LGB30 is a little bit shorter. Ibanez offers multiple sizes of their gig bags, and there may be a better one for it.

User Info Menu

Doesn't it have a hard case? Mine came with a HSC from new.

Hard shell case comes with Ibanezes.
    (Far as I know)
    Gig bags are usually for convenience.
    I can carry my amp with the guitar straight up on my shoulder.
    I find it actually safer than having the guitar sticking outright looking for a target.
    If the guitar is in the bag then I am probably holding it or it is sitting empty some where.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    I wouldn't use a gig bag for anything other than a sacrificial/throwaway guitar. You have no chance in a worst case scenario. Buy a quality, lightweight, hard case.
    Marinero
    I don't know what your definition of worst case is, but for the many bad cases I've encountered (drops, falls, clunks, bumps, jostles, jolts, etc.) , a good quality reinforced gig bag is more protective than a typical plywood or particle board case (though probably not than a flight case), and can be carried in a fashion that keeps it more out of harm's way than a hard case typically can. The reinforced bags I have (a few different ones) are much better than the hard cases the guitars they currently contain came with. If I were loading them into a truck with other equipment loaded on top (or likely to fall onto them), or into the cargo hold of a plane a flight case would be better. But short of that, for any scenario I actually experience it's no contest between a good gig bag and a hard case.

Yep, what he said.

Well put.

The fact that you you are carrying a gig bag means the whole instrument is going to be close to you makes it less likely to hit somebody or somebody hit you.
    ..of course has to be a decent gigbag.

User Info Menu

Marinero
    I've been using *good* gigbags with my best guitars for 30+ years without a problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I don't know what your definition of worst case is, but for the many bad cases I've encountered (drops, falls, clunks, bumps, jostles, jolts, etc.) , a good quality reinforced gig bag is more protective than a typical plywood or particle board case (though probably not than a flight case), and can be carried in a fashion that keeps it more out of harm's way than a hard case typically can. The reinforced bags I have (a few different ones) are much better than the hard cases the guitars they currently contain came with. If I were loading them into a truck with other equipment loaded on top (or likely to fall onto them), or into the cargo hold of a plane a flight case would be better. But short of that, for any scenario I actually experience it's no contest between a good gig bag and a hard case.
    Hi, J,
    If you read my short post, I said "Buy a quality, lightweight, hard case"--- not a "a typical plywood or particle board case(John)." Junk is junk and no one would put a good instrument in a junk case. There are many options for lightweight cases. Humicase and Gator(polycarbonate/ABS molded) makes an excellent case for around $160.00 US-- a few dollars more than a good gig bag. Look, the fact that you've used a gig bag for the last 30 years(Woody) has nothing to do with the price of cheese in Boston. In a worst case scenario, you're going to destroy your quality instrument. If you're willing to take that chance, buy a gig bag. Otherwise, there is no substitute for a good, hardshell case
    Marinero
    P.S
    I bent the bell of my Selmer Mark VI in a gig bag when I put it behind the seat in my car going to a gig. It never would have been bent in a hard shell case. That was my last dance with a gig bag. Imagine what it would have done with that pressure to a wood guitar! M
    Attached Images Attached Images Gig bag for Ibanez LGB30-img_2239-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hi, J,
    If you read my short post, I said "Buy a quality, lightweight, hard case"--- not a "a typical plywood or particle board case(John)." Junk is junk and no one would put a good instrument in a junk case. There are many options for lightweight cases. Humicase and Gator(polycarbonate/ABS molded) makes an excellent case for around $160.00 US-- a few dollars more than a good gig bag. Look, the fact that you've used a gig bag for the last 30 years(Woody) has nothing to do with the price of cheese in Boston. In a worst case scenario, you're going to destroy your quality instrument. If you're willing to take that chance, buy a gig bag. Otherwise, there is no substitute for a good, hardshell case
    Marinero
    P.S
    I bent the bell of my Selmer Mark VI in a gig bag when I put it behind the seat in my car going to a gig. It never would have been bent in a hard shell case. That was my last dance with a gig bag. Imagine what it would have done with that pressure to a wood guitar! M
    Reunion Blues has a video of them throwing a guitar in a Continental gig bag off the top of a building and it coming out unscathed. I own one of those cases, and based on how robust it us, I believe the video is legit. As I said, there are scenarios where a literal flight case, or something short of that but fully rigid with foam inserts that fit the guitar exactly would give better protection (e.g, having very heavy stuff piled on top of it). But the way the padding and supports in these high end gig bags are set up provides better protection than, say, the sort of case that comes with a new Gibson and retails for upwards of $200. Arguably, such hard cases are often junk, but they're not cheap.

The idea that one is putting an instrument at high risk by using a reinforced gig bag such as a RB Continental (which is as rigid as many hard case) or Mono M80 (somewhat less rigid, still very protective), or others of similar construction is just not true. There are hard cases that do offer more under some scenarios, but I really don't think they do for more ordinary situations, such as an instrument being dropped, bumped into, or bouncing around in a car. And (to repeat myself) the fact that the guitar is attached to your body via backpack straps rather than being held by a handle (a weak spot on many cases) and potentially bouncing off the pavement as you walk (I'm looking at you, TKL), makes a significant difference in the instrument's safety. If you don't want to use a gig bag, don't. But your hyperbole is unhelpful.

User Info Menu

The idea that one is putting an instrument at high risk by using a reinforced gig bag such as a RB Continental (which is as rigid as many hard case) or Mono M80 (somewhat less rigid, still very protective), or others of similar construction is just not true. There are hard cases that do offer more under some scenarios, but I really don't think they do for more ordinary situations, such as an instrument being dropped, bumped into, or bouncing around in a car.
    I've used gig bags for so many years that RB leather was actually affordable when I bought my first one - I wish I'd had more faith that they'd last so long and be such great value. I foolishly balked at the price and bought an early leather Levy's (which, to its credit, has been fantastic for decades).

I agree with the general premise that the best hard cases reduce the risk of damage from major mishap more than the best gig bags. But it'd have to be a seriously major mishap, and there are many ways to minimize the risk of such accidents. I've worked out exactly how and where each instrument goes in every car we've ever had. I keep a small non-slip mat on the floor of my trunk along with a few large towels for stabilization. I load each car the same way every time, I know what can sit on top of what, and I never force anything. This has worked for keyboards, amps, speaker cabs etc in soft padded gig bags, equipment bags, briefcases, stands, etc. I've even taken my cases, amplifiers, etc to car dealers to make sure everything fits before buying small cars. If that poor Mk 6 was standing up on the rear floor, wedged between the front and back seats, it shouldn't have been there.

For me, the convenience and level of safety provided by a good gig bag far outweigh the minor increase in risk over a seriously good hard case. And a full hard case is often a liability on gigs in small spaces. I've seen a few instruments knocked over by owners trying to stow a hard case behind their chairs or elsewhere on and around the bandstand. I watched one open case topple off the keyboard on which it was perched with the guitar in it (not mine!!). If you have to leave a hard case in another room or location (which is common in commercial gigs, weddings etc), the guitar is at significant risk while being carried around by the neck or left propped up in the playing area while you stow and retrieve the case.

The secret to minimizing risk with gig bags is to have a plan and to follow it every time you take your guitar out. At home, I keep the guitars that are not on wall hangers in their hard cases with humidification. For the AF207 and all solid bodies, I use gig bags for portage. For big archtops, I bought a Road Runner RR5, which has ample decent padding plus top and bottom corrugated reinforcing plates that are as tough and rigid as most hard cases I've seen under $200, and is pretty well weatherproofed. It doesn't fit easily in the trunk of my car, so it sits in the passenger seat if I'm alone and across the back seat with a seat belt holding it steady if I have a passenger. It's pretty fine - but it's also pretty big and bulky. So I'm on the lookout for a good, shaped leather bag with sidewalls. Meanwhile, this is decent value in a very usable case for larger guitars.

Gig bag for Ibanez LGB30-rr_gigbag_big-pngGig bag for Ibanez LGB30-rr_gigbag_big_open-png

User Info Menu

Reunion Blues has a video of them throwing a guitar in a Continental gig bag off the top of a building and it coming out unscathed. I own one of those cases, and based on how robust it us, I believe the video is legit. As I said, there are scenarios where a literal flight case, or something short of that but fully rigid with foam inserts that fit the guitar exactly would give better protection (e.g, having very heavy stuff piled on top of it). But the way the padding and supports in these high end gig bags are set up provides better protection than, say, the sort of case that comes with a new Gibson and retails for upwards of $200. Arguably, such hard cases are often junk, but they're not cheap.

The idea that one is putting an instrument at high risk by using a reinforced gig bag such as a RB Continental (which is as rigid as many hard case) or Mono M80 (somewhat less rigid, still very protective), or others of similar construction is just not true. There are hard cases that do offer more under some scenarios, but I really don't think they do for more ordinary situations, such as an instrument being dropped, bumped into, or bouncing around in a car. And (to repeat myself) the fact that the guitar is attached to your body via backpack straps rather than being held by a handle (a weak spot on many cases) and potentially bouncing off the pavement as you walk (I'm looking at you, TKL), makes a significant difference in the instrument's safety. If you don't want to use a gig bag, don't. But your hyperbole is unhelpful.
    Hi, J,
    I think you lost me after the superman guitar remark leaping tall buildings in a single bound . . . however, did ya hear the one about the tourist in Zambia who went swimming in the Zambezi River and as he was coming out of the water, a local native guide approached him and said: "Sir, do you know this river is full of man-eating crocodiles and angry hippos? The man looked at the guide, smiled, and said "Look, friend . . . I've been swimming in the river for a week and never had a problem!" Oh, well . . . I guess things are like that in life.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, J,
    I think you lost me after the superman guitar remark leaping tall buildings in a single bound . . . however, did ya hear the one about the tourist in Zambia who went swimming in the Zambezi River and as he was coming out of the water, a local native guide approached him and said: "Sir, do you know this river is full of man-eating crocodiles and angry hippos? The man looked at the guide, smiled, and said "Look, friend . . . I've been swimming in the river for a week and never had a problem!" Oh, well . . . I guess things are like that in life.
    Marinero
    No, but I heard the one about the guy who called himself the smartest man in the world and jumped out of a plane with a knapsack instead of a parachute.

User Info Menu

+1 on a well made gig bag, any day. I used a RB leather/nylon for well over 20 years. Dropped it with a 175 in it probably 6 ft onto its endpin. No damage. The shock protection of the closed cell foam wrapped tight around the guitar is a big difference than cheap plywood and a layer of velour. Hey I too am looking at you TKL.

I had a Chinese classical case supplied with a 6500USD US made guitar. (The guitar dealer was buying them from the luthier at the usual “with case” price but without a case. Then charged the price for the guitar and the original luthiers case.). The case was so poorly made you could actually grab one end and the other and twist the case! Jack hole!

jk

User Info Menu

Sorry M,
    I have to go with a good thick gigbag too
    much more practical at the gig than
    a hardcase
    during breaks I put the guitar back in
    the bag too , safe ....