The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

It should arrive wednesday. It was an employee build guitar and is unplayed so it's basically a 30 year old new guitar. They also had a 2007 in almost identical condition. They told me that the early '90s were gibson's magical years in terms of construction and most importantly wood. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything checks out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jack we know you’ve been looking hard so I hope you found your new love! Kicking off 2022 with 1993 sounds like a really good idea!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    It should arrive wednesday. It was an employee build guitar and is unplayed so it's basically a 30 year old new guitar. They also had a 2007 in almost identical condition. They told me that the early '90s were gibson's magical years in terms of construction and most importantly wood. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything checks out.
    '90 to '94 are well known years for great Les Pauls, so it stands to reason they'd be good years for their other guitars. Good Luck Jack!

User Info Menu

Looking forward to your NGD.

Perhaps we might end up on the same page regarding 90's Gibson archtops. We already agree that the 175 is the best guitar in history.

Congrats in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Looking forward to your NGD.

Perhaps we might end up on the same page regarding 90's Gibson archtops. We already agree that the 175 is the best guitar in history.

Congrats in advance.
    Yeah, it was your influence that tipped the scale for this axe, thanks for all your input and wisdom.

User Info Menu

Can't wait to see the new acquisition

User Info Menu

That's good news Jack! Congratulations. Likewise, can't wait to see it. Happy New Year!

User Info Menu

Jack - Congras! I just had a great experience with a purchase from Gruhn on a dead mint 77’ blonde L5Cn. They represented it precisely, set it up perfectly and the packaging was impeccable. I expect you will experience the same outcome. These guys are real pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Congrats—can’t wait for the pictures!

User Info Menu

Jack I am glad it worked out and I emailed your earlier is AM. I knew that the guitar would not last and funny those Gibson's sell quick when priced right. Marco is right the guitar in the early 90's are killers. QAman has the depth of experience so that is good to hear. Myself over the years I have bought exactly 2 guitars from George and one I got in person. He is a bit "odd" as characters go but he always has given me the upmost respect. He manages to juggle the practical and them mystery of vintage to a height the few ever understand.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Jack I am glad it worked out and I emailed your earlier is AM. I knew that the guitar would not last and funny those Gibson's sell quick when priced right. Marco is right the guitar in the early 90's are killers. QAman has the depth of experience so that is good to hear. Myself over the years I have bought exactly 2 guitars from George and one I got in person. He is a bit "odd" as characters go but he always has given me the upmost respect. He manages to juggle the practical and them mystery of vintage to a height the few ever understand.
    Special thanks to Deacon Mark for letting me know about these instruments. It's funny that someone posted about a 175 that Lovie's guitar had and an hour later it was sold. I think one of the vultures here bought it, lol!

But as a side note, Lovies is either on vacation or bad about getting back to you. They emailed me and said they had another sunburst 175 and asked if I was interested. Over the last 5 days, I emailed and called several times and left messages telling them I was interested and they never got back to me...

User Info Menu

Well, this is the holiday season, and lots of people take time off. Lovie's employees might be doing that. I wouldn't judge any business by what happens between mid December and early January.

User Info Menu

A lot of independent shops just completely close for at least a week starting at Christmas.

User Info Menu

Well if anybody can be trusted to sell you a good guitar it's Gruhn. Fingers crossed this one works out.

User Info Menu

Wow. Hope it arrives in the same condition as advertised. If so, never let this sucker go!

Congrats Jack!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Well if anybody can be trusted to sell you a good guitar it's Gruhn. Fingers crossed this one works out.
    I bought my very first ES175 back in the early 1990's from Gruhn's Guitars. It was a very nice ES175 but I ended up trading it for a Heritage Golden Eagle, which was a great deal too. Sadly, I sold the HGE and part of my heart went with it.

User Info Menu

Congrats and good luck on the incoming. FWW there is an old thread on TGP forum about that early 90s era at Gibson. With ex employees posting as well. I have a 93 LP Studio that is special.

Gibson supposedly was really trying to up their game. Many of their guitars were painted by Tom Murphy during that period. Even the cheaper ones.

I bet you’ll get a good one.

User Info Menu

I'm certainly no expert here, but the best sounding, feeling ES-175 I came across was a rather beat '92 at Main Drag Music in Brooklyn NY. Here's hoping your new one impresses like that '92. And happy new year!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Good for you, good find! I was looking at their 2007 model, which you mentioned, while still holding out for a L-4 CES with a solid back, long time waiting. Local luthier is also showing a 70's 175 this week--most anything he gets his hands on is exceptional. Most of you here would opt for a 90's 175 over a 70's, or is this not much of a difference? And / or a 175 over a L-4? I still favor solid woods front and back, but maybe I'm missing something. I've never actually played the ES-175.

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    Good for you, good find! I was looking at their 2007 model, which you mentioned, while still holding out for a L-4 CES with a solid back, long time waiting. Local luthier is also showing a 70's 175 this week--most anything he gets his hands on is exceptional. Most of you here would opt for a 90's 175 over a 70's, or is this not much of a difference? And / or a 175 over a L-4? I still favor solid woods front and back, but maybe I'm missing something. I've never actually played the ES-175.
    I dunno...Maybe I'll change my mind after getting the '93 but my '70s and '80s 175s were special. I have not played a modern one that sounded as good. @stringswinger and gruhn say the '90s ones had the best wood from any era so I'm hopeful. The 175 is a very different beast from the L-4. The L4 will have that velvety wes-like tone for octaves and chords. The 175 is a little deader sounding and doesn't quite have that tone. It's sort of like the difference between '60s Joe Pass tone and Wes tone. This is the definitive 175 tone for my tastes. (Ignore the cover photo - that's not the guitar he used, it was a 175)

User Info Menu

The debate about the best years for '175's is endless, and, well, debatable! I've owned a '72 since '72. Six years ago I played an early '50s and begged the owner to sell it to me, which he wouldn't. I couldn't get that guitar out of my head. It was like falling in love or something. Several months went by and I inquired about some archtop on the local CL and got to talking to the seller about guitars and mentioned this early '50s '175 and he said I have one of those and would sell it, to which I replied, I'll be right over. I came home with a '55 with 2 p90s. I'd put that up against any '175 out there.
    That being said, I'd be willing to bet that Jack has a winner, and that there are winners in every year Gibson made them!
    Happy New Year!

User Info Menu

Jack I hope you absolutely love it. You have had more than your share of bad guitars. I hope it is a lifelong keeper. The best 175 ever in your talented hands.

I'll try this again. I'm having a hard time with the site allowing the photos. It's a beautiful instrument. Hate the strap button placement though!
    Just bought a '93 Gibson 175 from George Gruhn's shop-264445-jpgJust bought a '93 Gibson 175 from George Gruhn's shop-264446-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Gorgeous Jack !

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Wow! That is a nice looking natural finish '175! Here's to hoping it plays and sounds great for you.