The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

EDIT 01/07/2022:
    After working with it for a week, it's going back. Some of the sounds are really good but it's just way too glitchy.

Stream LittleWing Intro - 12 - 29 - 2021 - Nux by Jim Soloway | Listen online for free on SoundCloud
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 01-07-2022 at 10:23 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Worthy replacement for Line 6 POD?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srs
    Worthy replacement for Line 6 POD?
    I'm very early in the process so I'm basing my answer on very limited experience but at this point my answer would be yes and no.

Both the Pod HD (and all of the devices in the Pod HD lineup) and MG-300 are dual purpose devices: they are both amp/effect modelers but they are also recording interfaces.

As a modeler, my initial impression is that the MG-300 is a LOT better. The sounds are better and there are more of them. The fact that it supports IR's, including user loader IR's means that it has a much more power interface for user defined patches. In general, the modeling just seems to be a couple of generations more advanced.

As a recording interface however, the Pod HD series provides way more significant features and some of those are going to be a bit difficult to replace. The Pod lineup starts at a much higher price point than the MG-300 and it shows. The MG-300 has no on/off switch. It lacks multiple speaker out ports, providing just a single shared 1/4" jack for headphones and speakers. Either I'm going to have to continue running in tandem with my Focusrite interface or I'm going to have to use cabling to expand the speaker setup (and even then, the speakers will be unable to co-exist with headphones).

One of the attractions was that it's so inexpensive, offering an almost pain free entry (or in my case, re-entry) into the modeling world. For me that's big because it's almost impossible to test drive a modeler without having it for a while. I had missed those Pods since the day I sold them and I was really never able to get to the same level of satisfaction with traditional recording methods. My first test with the MG-300 convinced me that it was good decision. When I heard this recording back to back with recordings I had been doing recently either with a mic or a line out, the difference with really remarkable. If I can resolve the interface issues, and I think I can, then there's likely to be a serious sell off around here.

User Info Menu

I’ve had the Nux Cerberus for a couple of years and it replaced all my previous Boss GT boards and sounds great. This adds even more probably. Beautiful Tone Jim, what else could you want?
    Last edited by jads57; 12-30-2021 at 06:30 PM.

User Info Menu

i'll never buy another of their products. I bought one of their looper pedals (drum loop pro) and it had a bug in it where it would hang during save and cause you to lose everything you were saving. Their support was horrible and they tried to blame me for misusing the product and refused to help solve the issue unless i made a video demonstrating the whole process of what caused the hang. Since the issue was intermittent and only occurred on longer loops with multiple "takes", it was impossible to do a video. I am a software engineer so I understand the "cannot repro" state of anomalies but they weren't even interested in me submitting an anomaly report. I sold it and vowed never to buy another one of their products.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i'll never buy another of their products. I bought one of their looper pedals (drum loop pro) and it had a bug in it where it would hang during save and cause you to lose everything you were saving. Their support was horrible and they tried to blame me for misusing the product and refused to help solve the issue unless i made a video demonstrating the whole process of what caused the hang. Since the issue was intermittent and only occurred on longer loops with multiple "takes", it was impossible to do a video. I am a software engineer so I understand the "cannot repro" state of anomalies but they weren't even interested in me submitting an anomaly report. I sold it and vowed never to buy another one of their products.
    I'm sorry to hear about you troubles with them Jack. I bought this unit from a large reputable dealer here in Canada and I suspect that ought to protect me from a similar experience. And now that I've had chance to get it better setup and experiment with it a bit I'm just floored with the results.

User Info Menu

After a week it's going back. To many glitches when it's hooked up to a speaker and not enough output when it's hooked up to a computer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    After a week it's going back. To many glitches when it's hooked up to a speaker and not enough output when it's hooked up to a computer.
    i've heard good things about the helix pedal if you're into tweaking and the strymon iridium if you're not. Both of those companies should be a lot less buggy and with better support. If the irridium had a bass amp and bass cabs I'd probably buy one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i've heard good things about the helix pedal if you're into tweaking and the strymon iridium if you're not. Both of those companies should be a lot less buggy and with better support. If the irridium had a bass amp and bass cabs I'd probably buy one.
    It's old technology but I am growing a fondness for Line 6 Bass PodXT (I also have AI-Clarus SL-R, and a Carvin BX250 next to the Luna 200R I got from you)