The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

A few issues:

• $5000
    • All hardware has been replaced (pretty typical)
    • big gouge next to the tailpiece
    • bracing was re-glued recently **** This is the biggest issue. Who knows how it was clamped and if it was glued properly

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

JZ, 5K will buy you a nice 175 today. One without issues.

I would pass on that unless you can return it if the issues are too great to live with.

User Info Menu

it's Retrofret, they'll take it back

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    it's Retrofret, they'll take it back
    but a round trip will cost me $300+

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    JZ, 5K will buy you a nice 175 today. One without issues.

I would pass on that unless you can return it if the issues are too great to live with.
    You know of any around? I found an '80s one on reverb for $4k but it's got a maple neck. In the past, I have always preferred the mahogany neck.

User Info Menu

This is probably the worst market in which to buy a guitar.

User Info Menu

I should've bought that Kessel from you. Then I could have sold it back.

User Info Menu

On the plus side: same version as your old one.

Here's a 175 in Canada. They have a good rep. Hammertone knows them and has said nice things. Somebody here bought a 350 from them recently, and that seemed to go well. It shipped to PacNW.

Those are Canadian $$. More like $4500 US. '68 175

User Info Menu

Joe V. Has a hutch signed Tal Farlow for under 5K. I understand that he takes lower offers. ES-350 thunk along with 90's vintage wood. Might be worth a look.

1993 Gibson Tal Farlow

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    On the plus side: same version as your old one.

Here's a 175 in Canada. They have a good rep. Hammertone knows them and has said nice things. Somebody here bought a 350 from them recently, and that seemed to go well. It shipped to PacNW.

Those are Canadian $$. More like $4500 US. '68 175
    i saw that earlier. 1 5/8 nut width though...

Joe V. Has a hutch signed Tal Farlow for under 5K. I understand that he takes lower offers. ES-350 thunk along with 90's vintage wood. Might be worth a look.
    Is that the red one? I had one before and loved it. If only it wasn't red

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    This is probably the worst market in which to buy a guitar.
    Not sure it's going to get better any time soon and i'm not going to get younger!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Is that the red one? I had one before and loved it. If only it wasn't red
    I bought a wine red L-5 years ago thinking I would trade it for one of a different color plus some cash. That was 19 years ago. I still have it and it is one of the best I have ever played. The red becomes acceptable over time. Great tone and playability will do that....

Saw that one but I have an inherent mistrust of buying expensive guitars from pawn shops!

I bought a wine red L-5 years ago thinking I would trade it for one of a different color plus some cash. That was 19 years ago. I still have it and it is one of the best I have ever played. The red becomes acceptable over time. Great tone and playability will do that....
    I emailed Joe. You're right. The color isn't that important! Thanks for reminding me. Vintagecorrect has a sunburst for $5k but it has this on the back of the headstock which they claim is just in the finish...

User Info Menu

Why would the braces need to be reglued?

I know of a great many older Gibsons which never needed that.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Why would the braces need to be reglued?

I know of a great many older Gibsons which never needed that.
    They come loose. Very common in 30+ year old instruments. A number of 60s, 70s, 80s gibson archtops I've bought have had loose braces. In one case, the dealer tried to fix it by using gorilla foam glue. It was a disaster. This actually is what prompted me to buy a flexible snake camera...

User Info Menu

I did a search of 175's on Reverb and came up with a few possibilities. Most the prices on them are too high but I noticed one in Holland Michigan and you could drive and check it out from where you are. If it was me and I really wanted a 175 with the proper stuff then it is a no brainer I am going to drive to get it. Show up with cash in hand and go over the details before you leave, that has worked for myself.

I would agree Jack in your case you need focus on the ones with mahogany necks they produce a different sound a bit warmer perhaps. Gibson 175's are not rare and with patience you will find one for sure. Regarding the Kessel's though I never like the looks of them at all, that just turns me off the 2 sharp cutaways on a full box. The one I had for a brief period was a 1968 and the top was collapsing but actually the guitar played fine. In fact the guy I got it from played it for years with the top sunken. I think it actually reach and equilibrium and was done moving. The guitar did sound fine though it was stereo one too.

Do you like the p90 sound because really Martin Van Iterson makes some seriously great work on a 125? I love his sound but I can see he is bit more traditional in approach than you and you like probably needs something a bit more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I did a search of 175's on Reverb and came up with a few possibilities. Most the prices on them are too high but I noticed one in Holland Michigan and you could drive and check it out from where you are. If it was me and I really wanted a 175 with the proper stuff then it is a no brainer I am going to drive to get it. Show up with cash in hand and go over the details before you leave, that has worked for myself.
    Not during a pandemic. Dad died from covid, neighbor died from covid. Bassist I know died from covid, vaccinated/boosted friend currently in the hospital struggling to breathe with covid, another local bassist sick with covid and can't work. Too much risk for me...

Do you like the p90 sound because really Martin Van Iterson makes some seriously great work on a 125? I love his sound but I can see he is bit more traditional in approach than you and you like probably needs something a bit more versatile.
    Not a fan of 60 cycle hum.

User Info Menu

On that Kessel, I could live with the gouge in the top and the replaced hardware. As for the rest, well...

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    On that Kessel, I could live with the gouge in the top and the replaced hardware. As for the rest, well...
    I could too but the glued brace is another thing. I asked them for photos and they couldn't provide. Additionally, $5k seems really high for a parted out guitar...

User Info Menu

The red Tal at Joe's looks pretty great! Of course, I'd prefer to see you behind a Kessel :-)

I see that Joe's coming soon page shows this '59 blonde 175 is on the way. Not posted or priced yet. Maybe you want to ask him about that. I expect it's going to be a fair bit more than some of the others though.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    The red Tal at Joe's looks pretty great! Of course, I'd prefer to see you behind a Kessel :-)

I see that Joe's coming soon page shows this '59 blonde 175 is on the way. Not posted or priced yet. Maybe you want to ask him about that. I expect it's going to be a fair bit more than some of the others though.
    how does he know the string height if he doesn't have it yet???

Yeah, i'd love the kessel but $5k with a re-glued brace and knowing nothing about the before and after sounds like an expensive bit of trust. As I mentioned before, the last one I had - someone put expanding foam gorilla glue between the brace and the top, probably to "fix" some sort of top vibration or buzzing. I worry that a guitar like this would need clamping and something beyond what a typical reseller is willing to do.

i also asked retrofret if they could do a quick phone video to demonstrate but they are too busy.