The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Great timing!! Eastman AR580ce-adbc72e7-65aa-4413-868c-a2afef996c91-jpgGreat timing!! Eastman AR580ce-7ab1e908-a32d-46de-bb9c-74229e94fdc2-jpgGreat timing!! Eastman AR580ce-a785f609-65f7-4216-b616-38bb2d6664a1-jpgGreat timing!! Eastman AR580ce-958f580b-87ef-44fd-816f-c95e04a6aa13-jpg

it has a lovely thick/round acoustic voice which translates into a great fat friendly amplified voice. The production values are fantastic - even the bloody case knocks the competition out of the water. Better than any boutique guitar case I’ve ever had for example.
    Last edited by Groyniad; 12-25-2021 at 07:55 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

X bracing?

AKA

User Info Menu

This is another guitar purchase based on hearing Rich Severson reviews on you tube.

I need a less precious instrument to play in tropical conditions. I have four other guitars that cover laminated and non laminated guitar types - two gibson and two heritage. I simply can’t decide which of these four are my favourites. It is easier to specify what I haven’t tried in the straight ahead arch top line than what I have. But this Chinese built instrument is very new to me.

16 not 17
    solid top laminate sides and back
    2 9/16 depth
    25 scale
    Chinese

the stock pickup sounds very good.
    cheap gotoh tuners and crappy vol and tone knobs
    bonkers binding
    gets crazy loud before feeding back

itbis a live question whether I will end up using this ‘beater’ more than the others - it seems to work that well!

hope they’re paying their luthiers at decent rates….
    Last edited by Groyniad; 12-25-2021 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

x bracing? now you've got me

User Info Menu

I think it should be parallel with this mounted pickup but...??

User Info Menu

This guitar is on my list of things to consider.

My ideal electric tone is the L4 CES, but they are a bit pricey. I'm looking for an affordable substitute...

Best with it
    Last edited by furtom; 12-25-2021 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Mistake

User Info Menu

do you mean L5 CES?

I can't recommend Rich S's videos enough for giving you confidence that you are getting an instrument that can be made to sound good.

I'm particularly liking the 25'' scale - the 2 9/16 depth and the hugely stable and very well positioned pick guard (which I use as a finger-platform in playing)

my sweet 16 has made me think that the most important thing to consider are the dimensions of the instrument. if you can't get really properly comfy with the guitar, you won't play it much. 16 x 2.6 x 25 - these are hugely comfy dimensions for a medium sized person....This is largely to say that Gibson's almost ubiquitous 3 3/8'' is very hard to live with however nice it sounds.... 3'' is just about bearable.

I notice no loss of tonal interest at 2 9/16'' - just a huge gain in ergonomic appeal

User Info Menu

I've seen many Eastman 805s and 810s, but haven't seen any with those inlays. Were those special ordered from Eastman, aftermarket?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    ...cheap gotoh tuners…
    There is no such thing as cheap Gotoh tuners.

User Info Menu

Pretty darn nice! Happy New Guitar day! And the most important thing is that you like it.
    I really like some of these Eastman's.

User Info Menu

do you mean L5 CES?
    Sorry, I had L7s on the brain due to another conversation. Is that old age?

Actually, I meant L4 CES, though an L5 would be pretty ok too.

But those L4s are different with the 175 body style. They manage to get what sounds to me to be the perfect electric jazz sound.

User Info Menu

I can't recommend Rich S's videos enough for giving you confidence that you are getting an instrument that can be made to sound good.
    Did you buy it from him, too?

I love that guy. Knowledgeable and a nice player. ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    There is no such thing as cheap Gotoh tuners.
    well they're nothing like as good as the 21:1 with the funny roundy 'knobs'....

maybe I have to tighten them

(I replace any tuners that aren't on a gibson with Gotoh 21:1 (are they called '501' or 'delta' or something?)

so I'm a big friend of Gotoh tuners

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    Did you buy it from him, too?

I love that guy. Knowledgeable and a nice player. ?
    I think he's great - knowledgeable - nice player - super helpful.

this Eastman is exactly as nice as he makes it seem in his reviews/demos.

no - I didn't get it from him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    I've seen many Eastman 805s and 810s, but haven't seen any with those inlays. Were those special ordered from Eastman, aftermarket?
    Sorry Klatu - I got the numbering backwards - it is a 580 - I just corrected the thread-title

User Info Menu

That's a real beauty! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

A couple of years ago I went out to buy a really nice archtop. Tried lots guitars in the shop, vintage, new, American, European, Japanese, Chinese, if it was there then I played it.

Because the flesh is weak, I compared the guitars on several points:

-acoustic sound
    -amplified sound
    -comfort in terms of size/shape
    -tuning stability
    -intonation
    -ease of playing
    -mojo/does it make me want to play it / does it make me play better
    -quality of design, construction, parts, fit & finish, durability

At that point in time, the AR580CE eclipsed everything. At least to my ears, hands and eyes it did. I bought it and played it every day ever since. A demo video of my personal guitar can be found here (not me playing).

Since then, I have been fortunate enough to be able to get a few very nice archtop guitars, including a ‘35 L7 and a Collings CL Jazz. I love them dearly for different reasons. Although the Collings is the best of the bunch (as it should be), the Eastman still sees the most use. It just makes me want to play.

The combination of a solid carved top and laminated back/sides strikes me as a ‘best of breed’ kind of approach. Acoustically it is very rich and full-sounding and sometimes verges into good flat-top territory (I string it with D’Addario roundwound .012s or John Pearse Archtop .012s). Amplified, the SD Jazz pickup can do anything I want it to do, from trebly faux-country-esque to blues to all sorts of great jazz tones. The volume and tone pots are well-chosen and provide endless shades of goodness.

I’ve read that the AR580CE was originally intended to be a signature model for a well-known player whose name I can’t remember right now, but the deal fell through. Anyway, incredible guitar. They’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Beautiful!

X bracing?

AKA
    parallel

User Info Menu

So it is parallel bracing? That's nice, since it's more traditional to the Gibson style construction. I thought it would be X braced since I heard most Eastmans had X bracing.
    In my recent quest of an archtop, I haven't found any guitar that is so close to what I'm looking for.
    I found a used one yesterday for sale, should be getting it if everything is OK.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67

I’ve read that the AR580CE was originally intended to be a signature model for a well-known player whose name I can’t remember right now, but the deal fell through.
    Yes, I think it was Norman Brown.