The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I'd like to get a strap like you see Ron using in his youtube videos. It is wide, and has a thin buckle near the guitar. I've tried to make one like this, and making the buckle has defeated me. Alternately, anybody know how to contact Ron?

Thanks
    Jim Kroger

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No but I perk up when I see the name Ron Eschete, I dig!

User Info Menu

Ron Eschete, such a monster player! Sorry, can't help with the belt.. maybe you can demonstrate with a video, people might give you ideas.

User Info Menu

You could try contacting CB Hill Guitars in Huntington Beach, CA. Since Ron plays his guitars he may know what type of strap he is using.
    Superb player, often overlooked. I first met him at Dante's in N. Hollywood when my friend was playing drums for Plaz Johnson. He was playing Benedetto then. Must have been late 80's. Ron blew the doors off. Recall that Jim Mapson made a guitar for him as well.

Good idea, you can see the strap clearly in these videos. He has more than one in different colors.

I thought of that too, and went to CBHill's site, but the email address there does not work. I thought I might post here to see if he is still in business, and active, or somebody knows his email.

User Info Menu

He appears to be using the same strap, with much less wear on it, in the 1985 video "Soundboard TV", attached to an ornate Benedetto. The strap maker may or may not still be in business.

Perhaps so.

Thing is, I don't understand the buckle. If the leather is fixed to the buckle on both sides of the buckle, as it looks, then I don't see how the strap could be adjusted. I had some brass buckles made, but they were too heavy and would dent my guitar, as well as scratch it. Then I switched to making a buckle from wood, but shelved that and just decided to have one strap the right length with one hole at each end. To determine the right length, I made a strap with one hole for the neck end and about 15 holes at the body end, and am trying it at different holes til I'm happy with one, then I'll make the final strap. I bought a side of oil tanned hide and had them cut it into strips 4" wide. So I can make straps for all my guitars. Still, it would be better to have an adjustable one. I bought some exotic wood, but it's not really strong enough across the grain. Maybe I should try some kind of plastic. I don't want it to flex though. Ron's would be perfect if in fact it is adjustable, and it must be otherwise why have the buckle?

Jim

Yep you are right about his strap, and that strap seems to use the same design. Maybe I will grind my brass buckles way down til they are 1/16" thick to make them light, sand all the edges smooth, polish them and coat them in epoxy, so they won't scratch. OK, I'll hit the drawing board again....I had several made for about $100, anticipating straps for all my guitars.

Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

Yep, that is not a buckle. I don't know the exact word for it, but it is really only there as decoration rather than for adjustment of the length of the strap. Either the strap is just a fixed length or there is an adjustment buckle somewhere else.

User Info Menu

Try Benedetto or PRS.

User Info Menu

It's called a triglide slide. It can be used for adjusting a belt or strap, but in this case that doesn't seem to be how it's used in Ron's strap in that location. In one of the videos, there appears to be another triglide slide up by his shoulder which looks like the actual strap length adjustment. The strap probably just loops through the one close to the guitar.

I would bet you could find something like this on Etsy or find someone who could make it for you there.

User Info Menu

I've always disliked belts with metal parts, especially for archtops. Sooner or later you scratch the guitar badly. Plus you have to keep adjusting the belt.

I prefer something like this. You adjust it once, comfortable, safe for the guitar

WIDE CLASSIC BASS PADDED BLACK - Minotaur Co | Handmade Leather Guitar straps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I've always disliked belts with metal parts
    …as have I. When I started using StrapLocks, I was almost as concerned about damaging my guitars with a connector on the end of a strap as I was about dropping one again (I’d gone over 50 years before having one fall out of a worn strap). I’ve use plain wide leather for decades. I like RE’s strap except for whatever that bracket may be (link? adjuster?).

The Levy’s straps are excellent. They come in many colors from light to black, and they start at about $20 for a 2”. The widest one (3 1/2”) is $50. But my “new” favorite has been the “Premium Buttersoft” 2.5” DR since I discovered it at a guitar show over 10 years ago.
    Ron Eschete's guitar strap?-232bcfab-116d-457f-9089-a14a058806b8-jpeg
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 12-26-2021 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Not sure about the strap, but the Ron Eschete vids are really great. Thanks! Happy Holidays.

User Info Menu

No metal on straps, completely unecessary and an invitation to damage, straps have come a long way since the thin leather w sliding shoulder strap everyone used to use.. leather all the way pour moi.

User Info Menu

Me too.

User Info Menu

Here's a long shot...

Greg Atkin makes custom straps and picks under the name Strum-n-Comfort. Ron has spoken in interviews about using and maybe endorsing Strum-n-Comfort picks. Maybe he uses their straps too?

http://www.strum-n-comfort.com/about/

Ron Eschete Interview, Sept 12, 2014 | Jazz Guitar Society

I had the privilege of having Ron as my teacher for the Chord Melody class at GIT in 1984. An absolutely brilliant player, and one of the nicest cats to ever walk the earth. Hope he's doing well, wherever he is.

User Info Menu

I don't like metal on straps either. It makes them heavier and is an invitation to dings. There are better ways of adjusting the length. I have a Franklin and an Italia. I mostly prefer the Franklin, because it's softer and more flexible. The Italia is strong enough to hold a hundred pounds, most likely, and the suede back keeps the guitar from sliding, which is good or bad, depending on the guitar. I've used Schaller straplocks for a long time, but lately I've been using just the strap without the lock, and I think that may be the future for me. The metal buckles on Eschete's straps seem to work fine for him, but I don't think I'm interested. The strap would have to be very thin to work with those, and I don't want the metal around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I've used Schaller straplocks for a long time, but lately I've been using just the strap without the lock, and I think that may be the future for me.
    I shunned locking devices of any kind for over 50 years. I was always meticulous about getting the buttons completely through the holes when I had to use a strap. I replaced my straps as soon as a hole looked at all distorted or even a little bit larger, or if it seemed to slip over the button more easily than it should. I never even had a close call, until........

One fine day I was playing my heart out at a gig where I had to stand, and the end pin slipped out of my strap. My guitar (fortunately "just" the inexpensive Epi Strat copy I kept in my locker at work and used on a monthly lunchtime gig) lost altitude really fast. Thankfully, I was able to grip the neck tightly enough quickly enough to keep it from crashing freely to the floor. But the bottom edge of the lower bout did make contact and sustain a minor crush spot. I bought StrapLocks the next day and have used them on every guitar I might ever play standing up ever since.

I hate standing when playing, and I just don't do it with archtops any more. I used to have to stand for solos with wedding bands etc, but I haven't played a wedding or a similar event with a big band in well over a decade, and I doubt that I ever will again. But I now use a strap even when seated, just in case I drop the guitar for any reason at all.

User Info Menu

Ever since my trusty old plain black Levys wore out I've been using Italias. Best quality I've seen, the Levy's was good but on outdoor gigs in hot weather they ruined a couple white dress shirts when the dye leeched, the Italias don't have this problem. They're also currently running their semi annual bogo sale through 12/26
    No affiliation but I swear by them, you'll probably never need to buy another strap again.

Buy One, Get One Free – Italia Leather Straps

User Info Menu

Hello. Sorry to tell you, but I bought this strap, two of them, in about 1978 at a NAMM show in Atlanta and can't remember the name of the company. After the show, the company had a bunch of the straps available for sale at 1/2 off for $50 each. I bought one in black and one in brown (and another one as a gift from Polytone to Joe Pass). About ten years ago, I took the two straps to a custom leather shop to have some loose stitching repaired and to have the leather conditioned. The button holes had become stretched out, and that was also repaired. The leather is of extraordinary quality, and the straps are so comfortable. I have used these same straps all these years, the brown one in the case with my brown CB Hill and the black one in the case with my gray CB Hill. Every once in a while someone gives me a strap to try out, and I immediately go back to using the old ones.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't recommend using oil tanned leather as it will probably bleed off on clothing - you should use veg tan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eschete
    Hello. Sorry to tell you, but I bought this strap, two of them, in about 1978 at a NAMM show in Atlanta and can't remember the name of the company. After the show, the company had a bunch of the straps available for sale at 1/2 off for $50 each. I bought one in black and one in brown (and another one as a gift from Polytone to Joe Pass). About ten years ago, I took the two straps to a custom leather shop to have some loose stitching repaired and to have the leather conditioned. The button holes had become stretched out, and that was also repaired. The leather is of extraordinary quality, and the straps are so comfortable. I have used these same straps all these years, the brown one in the case with my brown CB Hill and the black one in the case with my gray CB Hill. Every once in a while someone gives me a strap to try out, and I immediately go back to using the old ones.
    Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum Ron!

User Info Menu

Hello,
    CB has been very ill and he is not able to work. That is why you didn't find him online. I talk to him regularly while he is recovering.
    Ron E

User Info Menu

Hello,
    I took a few pictures of my guitar strap so anyone could see how it's made. It's pretty worn because it's 44 years old and pretty much the only one I've ever used. I'm not computer savvy so I hope I can figure out how to upload the photos. - RonnieRon Eschete's guitar strap?-1-strap-front-jpgRon Eschete's guitar strap?-2-strap-back-jpgRon Eschete's guitar strap?-3-strap-front-top-connect-jpgRon Eschete's guitar strap?-4-strap-back-top-connect-jpgRon Eschete's guitar strap?-5-strap-front-adjust-buckle-jpgRon Eschete's guitar strap?-6-strap-back-adjust-buckle-jpgRon Eschete's guitar strap?-7-strap-front-bottom-connect-jpgRon Eschete's guitar strap?-8-strap-back-bottom-connect-jpg