The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Looks like a 2 pickup version of the Metheny guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a variation of the old FG100 from the 80's, but with the modern tailpiece and no pickguard.

Arnie...

Quote Originally Posted by arnie65
    It's a variation of the old FG100 from the 80's, but with the modern tailpiece and no pickguard.
    Arnie...
    And most notably, rosewood fb, maple top

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker

I think it depends which Metheny guitar you mean. I think the AF220 is relatively thin (like 2.5" or 2.75"). I can't find the specs I stumbled on last time I looked into this model, but from pictures it looks thinner than the PM2/20/35, PM200, or PM100, but similar to or thicker than the PM120, and definitely thinner than the AF200. I don't know if that matters, though.

User Info Menu

Interesting. It is thinner. It has a laminated spruce top. Here's the specs: AF220 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

Only made for one year! (1998)

User Info Menu

I got offered one many moons ago
    when i was looking for an af200

I ended up with a nice af 120
    which is fine , but knowing what
    I now know , I really should’ve got that af220

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I got offered one many moons ago
    when i was looking for an af200

I ended up with a nice af 120
    which is fine , but knowing what
    I now know , I really should’ve got that af220
    i wonder how the AF220 compares to the 155?

User Info Menu

i wonder how the AF220 compares to the 155?

I dont like the neck pickup placement in the modern artcores

Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto
    I dont like the neck pickup placement in the modern artcores
    what do you mean by neck placement? You mean cutaway access?

User Info Menu

what do you mean by neck placement? You mean cutaway access?
    I prefer the neck pickup to be at the 24th fret

User Info Menu

What happens when you put your finger down at the 1st fret? Then the pickup is 23 frets up from the note.

Not me, to me that yields a bright and brittle tone. At this point, I won't even consider a 24 fret guitar for any neck pickup usage, whether it's jazz, blues, fusion or otherwise...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    What happens when you put your finger down at the 1st fret? Then the pickup is 23 frets up from the note.
    Not me, to me that yields a bright and brittle tone. At this point, I won't even consider a 24 fret guitar for any neck pickup usage, whether it's jazz, blues, fusion or otherwise...
    I think Arnesto means that he prefers the pup to be where the 24th fret would be, as opposed to butted up against the neck on a 20 fret guitar. I.e., he prefers the 175 spot as opposed to, say, the L4 spot. I don't think he means that he prefers 24 fret necks.

I agree with Jack that 24 fret necks push the pickup too far toward the bridge and mess up the neck pickup tone (as on the Ibanez JP, which to me sounds almost like the middle pup on a 3 pup guitar)

To Cunamara's point, as far as why the neck pickup sounds good at the 175 spot, I don't think it's because of the harmonic there (which only exists on an unfretted string). It's just that it adds a little brightness and clarity compared to further towards the neck, but not too much (a la the Ibanez JP model)

I don't know that I necessarily prefer the 175 spot to the L4 spot (haven't compared it systematically), but I'm definitely more used to it. That's how all the guitars I've had except for one with a 24 fret neck were made.

That's what I mean too. Are you sure the 175 pickup is in the 24th fret spot? I always assumed it was in the 22nd fret spot like on the Ibanez PM200. If you look at the originals it appears to be 175 pickup placement but later they made the neck 22 frets instead of 20 and the pickup stayed in the same spot but the fingerboard extended to all the way to the pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I think Arnesto means that he prefers the pup to be where the 24th fret would be, as opposed to butted up against the neck on a 20 fret guitar. I.e., he prefers the 175 spot as opposed to, say, the L4 spot. I don't think he means that he prefers 24 fret necks.

I agree with Jack that 24 fret necks push the pickup too far toward the bridge and mess up the neck pickup tone (as on the Ibanez JP, which to me sounds almost like the middle pup on a 3 pup guitar)

To Cunamara's point, as far as why the neck pickup sounds good at the 175 spot, I don't think it's because of the harmonic there (which only exists on an unfretted string). It's just that it adds a little brightness and clarity compared to further towards the neck, but not too much (a la the Ibanez JP model)

I don't know that I necessarily prefer the 175 spot to the L4 spot (haven't compared it systematically), but I'm definitely more used to it. That's how all the guitars I've had except for one with a 24 fret neck were made.

No way this pickup is in the "24th" fret position. Maybe it's slightly closer to the bridge than if it butted up against a 22 fret fingerboard but definitely not room for 4 more frets.

User Info Menu

No way this pickup is in the "24th" fret position. Maybe it's slightly closer to the bridge than if it butted up against a 22 fret fingerboard but definitely not room for 4 more frets.

That's what I mean too. Are you sure the 175 pickup is in the 24th fret spot? I always assumed it was in the 22nd fret spot like on the Ibanez PM200. If you look at the originals it appears to be 175 pickup placement but later they made the neck 22 frets instead of 20 and the pickup stayed in the same spot but the fingerboard extended to all the way to the pickup.
    When I look at a 175, it looks to me like the hypothetical 24th fret would be roughly where the pole pieces are, or maybe between the two coils, but I haven't measured it (uh, OCD measurement alert! Calling all 175 and 175-alike owners!). The binding on the end of the board is about where the 22nd would be (or maybe a little short of that), and with the shrinking between-fret distance, I think two more would fit.

User Info Menu

Hi All!
    Heres my PM200 for reference….
    jk

Ibanez AF220 - Didn't know this existed.-6efcc175-5944-4f67-97cc-05519efa133e-jpg

Dayummmm...Showoff! If it had 2 pickups I'd jump on one. From what I hear, it has more of a feedback issue than a 2 pickup 175...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi All!
    Heres my PM200 for reference….
    jk

Ibanez AF220 - Didn't know this existed.-6efcc175-5944-4f67-97cc-05519efa133e-jpg

User Info Menu

If you play the harmonic at the hypothetical 24th fret, it will be near the polepieces of the humbucker on an ES175. The edge of the pickup is not at the 24th fret, the polepieces are. I don't believe that the harmonic being there makes any difference, but being closer to the bridge, or further away, does make some difference, wherever the string is fretted.

User Info Menu

Jack yes it feedbacks quite well. IF i were well enough and out im not sure its giggable as is. Ibanez put the “silent 58” humbucker in from the factory, it was supposed to reduce FB, but i didnt hear it. It was also too bright for me. Except when texting about covid im pretty mellow lol.

I would say having the 24th harmonic right at the pole piece is pretty convenient. Honest I rarely use the trick anymore, but Tal taught me to vision the spaces between the 22nd fret and the pickup as guides like a second fingerboard. So for me once upon a time it mattered)
    Also makes the Lenny Breau chords where he did harmonic and note after each other, that harp like sound.
    jk

User Info Menu

Gorgeous! Do want

User Info Menu

Quiet afternoon so I detail peaked.
    1998 saw the PM100 and PM20 only in the PM line.
    The AF220 clearly in the catalog as a baby AF200, no relationship to the PM signature series.
    BUT… it’s a MIJ Fujigen build so yea, I can lust after that too)))
    Note the body depth difference, probably very different sound than it’s big brother.
    Wonder why they canned it?!

in: Guitar models, Guitar models manufactured in Japan, Artstar models, and 5 more

AF220

VIEW SOURCE[COLOR=var(--wds-text-button-label-color)]

[/COLOR]
    AF220 Butterscotch Transparent

The AF220 is a hollow body electric guitar model introduced by Ibanez for 1998. It was made in Japan by FujiGen as part of the Artstar series.
    The AF220 features a full-sized, narrow-body, full-hollow, single Venetian cutaway body design with an arched, laminated spruce top with ƒ holes and ivory multi-binding on an flamed maple sides and arched back mated to a set-in mahogany and maple neck with a 20-fret rosewood fingerboard with white binding and pearl block position markers. Components include a pair of Ibanez Super 58 humbucking pickups with gold covers and individual volume and tone controls, black plastic pickup rings, an Tune-o-matic style Gotoh bridge with wood base, a trapeze tailpiece, a bone nut, a flamed maple pickguard finished to match the body, Sure Grip II knobs, and Gotoh tuning machines with ivory buttons.
    The AF200 is a related model with a deeper body, an ebony fretboard with different inlays, an ebony saddle, a pickguard and different finishes.

i think i'm done with ibanez for a while, lol...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

That's what I mean, I prefer the 175 placement, all the artcores that I had doesnt have the classic jazz sound that I like.
    It is also strange that the Chinese archtop have a "wrong" position of the neck microphone compared to their Japanese counterparts.

"correct placement" Japan Af 200

"incorrect" Placement China AF 95

Quote Originally Posted by arnie65
    I love the PM200, but didn't love it enough to get one, even when I was offered one for $2K, and this is why; when Pat designed his signature Ibanez, he wanted it to be pretty much like the 175 he had played and recorded with for years. The ES175 has a 16 " body width and a 3 1/4" body depth, if we look at all the Ibanez iterations of the PM model like the PM120, PM100, PM20, PM35, and PM2, we'll see that they stay pretty much with a body depth close to the 175's body depth with some going as hi as 3 7/8". The PM200 has a 4 1/4" body depth which is a full inch from the original standard that Pat started with. It is a bigger guitar, and of course bigger tone (which is ok by me) but I wanted to stay with the original depth and tone I'm used to. Has Pat tone evolved since the 70's? No doubt, it has, but I'm a bit old fashion. I must say that the PM200 is a superb guitar for solo chord-melody playing too, it's also the only model with a wooden tailpiece, and probably the best built in terms of crafsmanship.
    Cheers,
    Arnie..
    The PM120 was not close to a 175 body depth. I'm not convinced pat likes his namesake guitars. He seems to prefer his prototype or his custom guitar with the CC Pickup. I hear they are making a new metheny guitar now, possibly with the CC Pickup. I have to admit the clips I've heard of him playing the CC pickup equipped guitar didn't do much for me. I wish Ibanez would just make a 2 pickup 175-influenced instrument. I've tried their lawsuit 175s and IMO, they missed the mark. They have the capability to do it right but choose not to - probably because they don't see a market for it.

I do know of one of the recent stars of jazz guitar is collaborating with ibanez for a namesake model which may make folks happy. Can't say who yet.