The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Last edited by tomvwash; 12-22-2021 at 07:04 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What a beauty. May she inspire your playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

Oh man, enjoy that thing!

A guitar like that is an experience, not just a guitar. Beautiful!

User Info Menu

Wonderful instrument. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Now you can practice 25 hours a day.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

What a beauty and you really cannot go wrong getting one like that nothing but the best. Play the frets off it.

User Info Menu

Happy carved top Gibson NGD!

User Info Menu

Top of the food chain. A huge Congrats !

User Info Menu

Looks great.. is that a Cedar Creek case? Keep an eye on it, I had one that leeched dye from the plush onto the guitar

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Looks great.. is that a Cedar Creek case? Keep an eye on it, I had one that leeched dye from the plush onto the guitar
    ...no Gibson designation on the outside of case, but Gibson leather tag on the inside.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That IS a Cedar Creek case !!! It turned my blonde 2014 S400 as green as a Christmas tree. Line it with a cotton sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    That IS a Cedar Creek case !!! It turned my blonde 2014 S400 as green as a Christmas tree. Line it with a cotton sheet.
    ..or keep it out of the case...Does Gibson use a CC case for these? Did you keep your Super 400 with the green bleeding?

User Info Menu

Congratulations on that beauty! Definitely the apex predator! Keep an eye on it around your other guitars! Chomp!
    Enjoy playing many wonderful sounds on her! Happy Holiday's.

User Info Menu

My color vision is none too good in the red – green spectrum (leading, over the past 28 years, to some conversations with my wife as I am heading out the door along the lines of "were you planning on going out in public dressed like that?"), so I can't really see if there's any discoloration on the wood of the rim. The binding appears to have some discoloration.

I think the first thing that I would do is try a damp cloth to see if it doesn't just wipe off. That would be the best of all possibilities. If that doesn't work, others here can suggest some cleaning strategies that might lift that discoloration off. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't put the guitar back into that case for any length of time.

Assuming this is an issue with dye in the case lining transferring to the guitar, and that it is a Cedar Creek case, has anyone ever contacted the manufacturer about this? It is certainly going to lead to a lot of unhappy customers and a severely damaged reputation for them. I have never thought of this before, but if I was a case manufacturer my lining would be a white, undyed fabric to prevent exactly this sort of thing. Lining it with a sheet, as suggested above, might help. However, if the dye is outgassing from the lining (sublimation*) and then absorbing into the finish as a gas, then it might still pass through the sheet and into the wood; if the transfer is from physical contact not involving a phase change of the dye, then the sheet would probably work. There may be something particular about the chemistry between nitrocellulose finishes and the dye in the lining. *(Some quick internet searching indicates naphthalene is used as a basis for some dyes- this is the same stuff as mothballs and is well known for evaporating as a solid. If your case has a bit of a mothball smell to it, that may be that they used a naphthol dye).

We had an issue with this process at home. A few years ago we remodeled the kitchen and our hardwood floor was sanded and refinished to a light blonde. My wife left her rolled-up yoga mat leaning in a corner and green dye transferred from the yoga mat into the wood in just a day or two. There is a rather startling green patch on our kitchen floor now that will be there until the floor is refinished by some future homeowner (I sure as hell am not going to go through that again).

User Info Menu

That is the beginning of case bleed on your binding. That is how it started with mine. ALL S400 cases are CC. All other Gibson cases are TKL. My S400 got so ruined I sold it for a big loss. Gibson now uses CC cases with white lining for the S400.

My Campellone Special also had a CC case. Same green bleed happened but I caught it before it got too bad. I bought a Gibson L5 case for it (TKL ).

User Info Menu

Once stained it is all the way through the lacquer. No removing it. Refinish is your only option.
    I have seen countless guitars ruined by CC cases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    The leather piece on the inside case pocket handle reads "Gibson." Does a CC case have an actual label anywhere?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    No
    Ok, I stand corrected on the case.

User Info Menu

Top of the food chain alright.

User Info Menu

That’s a gorgeous guitar! The back is stunning!

User Info Menu

If you look at the binding yellow stains you will see that the stains have the same texture pattern marks as the felt lining.
    Call up Mark Campellone and ask him about the known problems he has had with CC cases.
    Those yellow stains will eventually turn more green as time goes on.
    Gibson DOES NOT make guitar cases.

I also recommend you pm QAman. We both are experts on the horrors of CC cases.

User Info Menu

I have a beautiful custom made archtop that came w a CC case. As soon as I noticed the binding bleed I took it out of there and have been keeping it in a 60s Super 400 case.
    The CC case now resides in the attic.

User Info Menu

I have a 2005 that has the same case except is does not have the crazy lock only a regular latch. It is the same color and appears identical otherwise. Mine is a sunburst but no bleeding at all anywhere that I can see and course guitar is 16 years old although in near mint condition really. Wonder who made that case.

Also to the original poster I notice the tunomatic bridge. Those are nice but I like ebony made mine sound better all the way around. One thing for certain that is one of the finest blond Super 400's I have seen. The flame is flaming................

User Info Menu

Yowza!

User Info Menu

wow wow wow