The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 226 to 249 of 249

User Info Menu

Mark Campellone: another batch of terrific work, amazing repairs too !! We are blessed to have you here gracing our page.
    BigMike
    5 Mile High Campellone Owner

The new Campellone Cameo begins-81f7fed6-51b1-4871-a261-4c92712713fe-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Mark, please post some pics when the S400 is finished. Many of us are very interested in seeing it.
    Will do -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Looks like it wasn't sanded in between coats
    It's a bit of a mystery - it normally isn't necessary to sand between coats with nitro since each coat melts right into the previous coat - the weird thing about this piece is that where the clear lacquer has flaked off, it looks like a completed glossy finish below. I got the guitar from its original owner who said no re-spray had been done to the guitar. It seems like something happened to prevent final build-up coats from bonding with previous clear coats - I suppose there are a number of reasons why this could have occurred -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    It's a bit of a mystery - it normally isn't necessary to sand between coats with nitro since each coat melts right into the previous coat - the weird thing about this piece is that where the clear lacquer has flaked off, it looks like a completed glossy finish below. I got the guitar from its original owner who said no re-spray had been done to the guitar. It seems like something happened to prevent final build-up coats from bonding with previous clear coats - I suppose there are a number of reasons why this could have occurred -
    Perhaps a previous owner rubbed it with some inappropriate solvent that got under the top coat?

Obviously the original owner was some kind of a hack fixing the broken headstock with JB weld and wood screws.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Obviously the original owner was some kind of a hack fixing the broken headstock with JB weld and wood screws.
    You think?
    Vinny, you are a kind person!

User Info Menu

Dunlop #6150 - a medium/large wire - been using it for years : )
    Beautiful batch of guitars Mark! Makes me want to order another!

The fretwork is perfect, and the size is as well, not too high, not too wide, just right!

User Info Menu

Mark has added the new Cameo to his Gallery, here:
    Gallery | MCampellone.com | Page 6
    Attached Images Attached Images The new Campellone Cameo begins-33_5217_1-jpg The new Campellone Cameo begins-33_5224_1-jpg The new Campellone Cameo begins-33_5226_1-jpg The new Campellone Cameo begins-33_5245_1-jpg The new Campellone Cameo begins-33_5242_1-jpg The new Campellone Cameo begins-33_5237_1-jpg The new Campellone Cameo begins-33_5233_1_1-jpg The new Campellone Cameo begins-33_5248_1-jpg 

User Info Menu

I am told, it has a bourbon vanilla ice cream taste to it.

User Info Menu

So elegant! Thanks for posting, Hammertone!

Gulp…..WOW

User Info Menu

Extraordinary workmanship.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Kinda kicks sand in a Citation's face for less than 1/2 the price.

User Info Menu

Beautiful. I wish the initials on the tailpiece were mine.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 07-19-2022 at 07:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Back in October when I sold those three guitars I really had no trouble letting go of them because I have five Campellone Specials and four Unity archtops and I think they beat the pants off of L-5d and Citations

Vinnie and I agree on one thing and that is that the Campellone guitars will someday be as cherished as a D’Acquisto or a D’Angelico

I’m BigMike and I approve this message
    The sure look beautiful. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to play one. Besides, their beauty what is it about them that is special?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    The sure look beautiful. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to play one. Besides, their beauty what is it about them that is special?
    It's pretty simple. Campellone builds guitars that are firmly based on the acoustic carved archtop designs built by Gibson during the 1950s, but Mark's instruments have their own design and construction approach, along with their own aesthetic details. Various other custom luthiers have their own approaches as well, sometimes with a tip of the hat to Gibson, but more typically referencing the design approaches of D'Angelico, D'Aquisto, and Benedetto, or sometimes completely original in conception.

IMO, Mark's guitars:
    -sound more like Gibson carved archtop guitars of the 1950s than those built by any other custom builder;
    -are predictably and consistently excellent in terms of sound and feel;
    -are very well executed - super-clean details, excellent finishes. Not at all rough around the edges;
    -use a consistent design vocabulary - his archtop guitars have looked essentially the same for most of his career;
    -are priced to be affordable, compared to those built by most of his peers;
    -are offered to the market in a matter-of-fact manner, without the hyperbolic marketing mush that one often finds throughout the guitar industry.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-20-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Well said Hammer !

User Info Menu

Mouthful!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Mark currently has a 4 year wait list and is no longer taking orders.
    I am 2 years away from my Cameo. In 4 years he will be 72.
    Campellone, Monteleone, Borys, Triggs are all nearing the end of their great and long careers of fabulous archtop making.
    40 years from now a Campellone will be worth a ton of money.

User Info Menu

I guess I will just need to find one used.

User Info Menu

I guess I will just need to find one used.

Good luck with that !

I was very fortunate in that my good friend Vinnyv1k recommended the Campellone Guitars to me several
    years ago, ( his word is his bond,) By looking on Mark;s Website was enough to order a Deluxe model. It was built
    and shipped to the UK exactly as promised. The packing and unmarked outer boxing was superb. Similar to my friends
    on JGF, I have been a lifelong Gibson devotee. My first ES 335 original 1959 served me very well for many years.
    The Campellone Guitars are in a class of their own. If I could get my mitts on another, i'd have one tomorrow. I agree
    too with the prediction that they will be very costly in the not so distant future
    I repeat , good luck with your search, if successful you will overwhelmed by the quality.

Silverfoxx aka 007

User Info Menu

What do you think about the deluxe that is on Reverb now?

User Info Menu

What do you think about the deluxe that is on Reverb now?
    It’s a no brainer. Grab it before it’s gone. Seller is motivated to move it, meaning there’s a discount there. How much of a discount depends on you willing to make an offer. However, 9 years ago the Deluxe sold used for $4k. So given what archtop’s sell for today, it’s priced right.