The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Is the power equivalant to 25w tube, or 25w ss?
    the smaller amp is a solid 60w, probably equivalent to a 25-30w tube amp. The 250 is loud as heck. Maybe the volume of a 50-100w tube amp.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the smaller amp is a solid 60w, probably equivalent to a 25-30w tube amp. The 250 is loud as heck. Maybe the volume of a 50-100w tube amp.
    A little further elucidation on this...I find that a 22w fender deluxe reverb will work on most gigs. However, if you get one on a gig with a loud hammond organ or with electric piano and electric bass playing loud, it can get lost. I feel the same way about the 50/60w dvmark amps EXCEPT that they seem to be about 15-20% louder and with more headroom than a deluxe reverb. I had a gries-35 amp for a while which was basically like a deluxe reverb but with slightly bigger transformers and 6L6 tubes instead of 6V6 tubes. I feel that the DVMark 50/60w heads are about like that gries amp.

The 250w head can pretty much handle any situation. I will also say that on the GH250 tube head, I find the lead channel to be buzzy and designed more for the low-tuned metal crowd. An overdrive pedal like the J Rockett stuff sounds much better to me so I just ignore the lead channel. I wish they made a jazz version of the 250w microtube head but at $499, i doubt they'd lower the price enough to make it worthwhile...

User Info Menu

Your real world type review is
    really very helpful Jack .... many thanks

I don’t play very loud gigs so something of
    the order of a Delux volume is plenty for me ....

I’m thinking the Cirro Manna 60 (micro tube) might be another good option

two channels , tube pre-amp , eq ,
    ok reverb and the power supply built in

might be a neat one box solution
    alternative to a Quilter SBUS ?

User Info Menu

Haven't tried that one but i'd guess it's similar to the GH250 tube. I've never heard a dvmark overdrive channel that I liked but these days, pedals are so good that it's not worth it to me to have overdrive in a head. Plus, once you have an overdrive channel in your amp, it means you have to move time delay effects to the loop so I'd rather just have them before the amp and use a clean amp.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Your real world type review is
    really very helpful Jack .... many thanks

I don’t play very loud gigs so something of
    the order of a Delux volume is plenty for me ....

I’m thinking the Cirro Manna 60 (micro tube) might be another good option

two channels , tube pre-amp , eq ,
    ok reverb and the power supply built in

might be a neat one box solution
    alternative to a Quilter SBUS ?

User Info Menu

yes I see your reasoning .... for your needs

for me ....
    I’m hoping for a single channel amp
    that is touch sensitive (probably need a tube) that I can control the amount
    of dirt or grit i get , just with the volume
    on the guitar and how much I dig in

I’ve played tube amps that do this fine
    (but not yet experienced it working well with a purely SS head or combo)

I don’t need fusion sounds and
    I don’t use fx much if at all

So I’m between a Quilter SB or a
    DV mark with a tube in it
    the Raw Dawg 60 looks good but
    for some inexplicable reason doesn’t
    have a pre amp gain control

so I have no way of knowing if my guitar
    will drive the input stage sufficiently

ideally I don’t want to have to put a boost
    or OD pedal in front of it

User Info Menu

Since I haven't played the particular artist's amp I can't comment on whether it would meet your described needs but I can tell you that the GH-250 Tube's overdrive channel has too much gain even with the gain on zero. The clean channel has almost no grit. With my yamaha SA2000 (med hot pickups) and the gain on 10, there is just the teeniest bit of grit. Almost none. I'm guessing with the J Rockett Ikon pedal, you could accomplish what you want in the clean channel.

I had a raw dawg and it had much more grit than the clean channel of my GH250 with the gain on 10. It was too much for me. Might be worth looking into for you. I found that chords were always broken up on it. Apparently, there is some type of internal gain but i'm not sure if it's a potentiometer or a fixed resistor. Dvmark said they could modify the gain if I sent it in but i opted to return it. If the GH250's "lead" channel were on the level of the raw dawg it would be useful but as it is, it's way too distorted to get the clean guitar sound with the guitar turned down.

yes I see your reasoning .... for your needs

for me ....
    I’m hoping for a single channel amp
    that is touch sensitive (probably need a tube) that I can control the amount
    of dirt or grit i get , just with the volume
    on the guitar and how much I dig in

I’ve played tube amps that do this fine
    (but not yet experienced it working well with a purely SS head or combo)

I don’t need fusion sounds and
    I don’t use fx much if at all

So I’m between a Quilter SB or a
    DV mark with a tube in it
    the Raw Dawg 60 looks good but
    for some inexplicable reason doesn’t
    have a pre amp gain control

so I have no way of knowing if my guitar
    will drive the input stage sufficiently

ideally I don’t want to have to put a boost
    or OD pedal in front of it

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sorry, I was referring to the Q superblock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Sorry, I was referring to the Q superblock.
    According to their website:

• Kicks with the equivalent power a 25-watt tube head

I'm guessing that it's closer to a princeton reverb in output...

User Info Menu

I'm sure the Watts are the same, but the price of the Superblocks has gone up.

User Info Menu

I had a raw dawg and it had much more grit than the clean channel of my GH250 with the gain on 10. It was too much for me. Might be worth looking into for you. I found that chords were always broken up on it.
    They apparently changed the 60 watt heads recently, so they may also have changed the circuitry in the 250 between making yours and making mine. I just got my Raw Dawg EG 250 about 2 weeks ago, and it's clean as a whistle. In fact, it reminds me of a Twin. It's very tubey - rich, full and responsive. And it stays that way until it's way too loud. I made you a quick and dirty one take fingerstyle track with my Eastman 810CE7 driving the Raw Dawg into my RE 10 cab loaded with a Jensen Tornado Neo. This was recorded on my TASCAM DR40x in my living room, with the internal mics about 6" in front of the grille and the amp as loud as I could make it in the apartment without risking censure from the management. There was still plenty left - it handles our blues shows at the club without turning a hair. I brought it just to check it out, and I drove the Vibrolux speakers with it. Now it's hard to go back to the Vibrolux!

Since the V'lux is in the backline, I don't have to carry anything to shows - and I have a DVM Jazz 12 and a CS PRRI there for our Thursday jazz shows. I only bought this head because I sold my big guns and had no high power head or combo in case the world returns to normal. I love this little amp - it's fantastic for jazz and complements my Wampler Tumnus pedal really well for blues and fusion. I highly recommend trying one.

[EDIT] I added a picture of the lovely couple...

Quilter SuperBlock status-rawdawg_800-jpg
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 01-27-2022 at 06:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Whoa! The classiest quick&dirty I can recall. And absolutely great tone.

User Info Menu

Since I haven't played the particular artist's amp I can't comment on whether it would meet your described needs but I can tell you that the GH-250 Tube's overdrive channel has too much gain even with the gain on zero. The clean channel has almost no grit. With my yamaha SA2000 (med hot pickups) and the gain on 10, there is just the teeniest bit of grit. Almost none. I'm guessing with the J Rockett Ikon pedal, you could accomplish what you want in the clean channel.

I had a raw dawg and it had much more grit than the clean channel of my GH250 with the gain on 10. It was too much for me. Might be worth looking into for you. I found that chords were always broken up on it. Apparently, there is some type of internal gain but i'm not sure if it's a potentiometer or a fixed resistor. Dvmark said they could modify the gain if I sent it in but i opted to return it. If the GH250's "lead" channel were on the level of the raw dawg it would be useful but as it is, it's way too distorted to get the clean guitar sound with the guitar turned down.
    they really need to put a gain control
    onto the raw dawg ....

shame it’s nearly perfect ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm sure the Watts are the same, but the price of the Superblocks has gone up.
    They've been $275USD for a long time, and still are ... What price increase?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    They've been $275USD for a long time, and still are ... What price increase?
    My bad -- I saw a thread elsewhere that said they were $249 -- it must have been an older thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    My bad -- I saw a thread elsewhere that said they were $249 -- it must have been an older thread.
    Cool; I've seen the "UK" model (new) for that price -- supply and demand??

User Info Menu

Thomann has just shipped mine Quilter SuperBlock status

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Thomann has just shipped mine Quilter SuperBlock status

Mine too!

Excited

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Mine too!

Excited
    Mine three!

Been waiting since September and was so convinced it would get to '2 days' and then jump back up to '3 months' again.

User Info Menu

has anyone run theirs off a
    9 volt pp3 battery ?

User Info Menu

another question

can you run a normal guitar lead
    out of the headphone o/p
    to a pa desk or similar ?

User Info Menu

another question

can you run a normal guitar lead
    out of the headphone o/p
    to a pa desk or similar ?
    I haven't tried it but the XLR line out is so good and so versatile (with three different cab options including FRFR) that I would strongly recommend using that instead.

User Info Menu

has anyone run theirs off a
    9 volt pp3 battery ?
    I ran it off a 9V power adapter, worked fine.

User Info Menu

How is the headphone out on the Superblock? Looking for a small office solution for when I'm too lazy to go down to the studio!

User Info Menu

Hooray mine arrived. First impressions - very good. I like it as a preamp too.

Will report on headphones as soon as I find my adapter.