The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    That is easy to say .. "other" .. What do you have in mind?

What other mini-amps are you thinking of?

(If you start mentioning other Quilters then keep in mind that all that is left in stock on this side of the pond (Europe) is the InterBlock 45 and the Overdrive 202)
    How about a DV Mark head? I really enjoyed the one that I had.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The one available is the DV Mark Micro 60 ... Gonna check it out
    I was using DV Mark Micro 50 (1st gen.) exclusively and still have a 50M as one of my test amps. By current size and weight standards for micro amps, these are bulky (2 kg). The tone is dark, full and jazzy, the reverb acceptable when used in moderation.

On-board reverb is really the stumbling block here. If you can live without it, choices multiply: Joyo BlueJay, Orange Micro Dark, VOX MV50 Clean, BAM200, SD 170 etc. In a higher price category, with reverb, you have BluGuitar Amp1 and Milkman. There's a black horse as an interim solution: HotOne Mojo Attack. 80W floor amp, two channels, reverb, well made and cheap. Not fashionable after Henning Pauly (a.k.a EytschPI42) crushed it. He's focused on overdrive sounds, though; I think the cleans on Channel 1 are OK but truth is, I haven't used mine for at least two years. My son, a rock guitarist, actually preferred the BritWind version in a test situation, but I haven't tried that one.

User Info Menu

Now the ETA is February lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I was using DV Mark Micro 50 (1st gen.) exclusively and still have a 50M as one of my test amps. By current size and weight standards for micro amps, these are bulky (2 kg). The tone is dark, full and jazzy, the reverb acceptable when used in moderation.

On-board reverb is really the stumbling block here. If you can live without it, choices multiply: Joyo BlueJay, Orange Micro Dark, VOX MV50 Clean, BAM200, SD 170 etc. In a higher price category, with reverb, you have BluGuitar Amp1 and Milkman. There's a black horse as an interim solution: HotOne Mojo Attack. 80W floor amp, two channels, reverb, well made and cheap. Not fashionable after Henning Pauly (a.k.a EytschPI42) crushed it. He's focused on overdrive sounds, though; I think the cleans on Channel 1 are OK but truth is, I haven't used mine for at least two years. My son, a rock guitarist, actually preferred the BritWind version in a test situation, but I haven't tried that one.
    I don’t care about reverb. I just want a good sounding light weight amp (either fender voiced or more flat response/acoustic) that’ll pair nicely with your speakers. I’m happy to spend money on it if I’ll get something good, because the H&K is a frightful let down, and although the BAM sounds good enough to gig, now I know what the Princeton sounds like through the TOOBs I have higher expectations…

What do you reckon?

User Info Menu

What do you reckon?[/QUOTE]

Patience. You've waited so long, what's another month or two?

User Info Menu

It seems you guys are feeling the pain I've been feeling when trying to buy woodworking machines.

"Hi SCM can I have a 420 Nova Planer"?

"Sure no problem"

"Cool how long will that be"?

"156 days"

User Info Menu

called SW and got a refund...I purchased on a whim, being a couch player now I seldom amplify anyway..
    Last edited by BFrench; 12-14-2021 at 09:49 AM.

User Info Menu

you might try checking out the two micro tube DV Mark amps that are out. There is a 60w and 250w. Very reasonably priced. About $300USD for the 60 and $499 for the 250. I have the 250 and it's really great. Not quite as sweet sounding as a 12ax7 preamp like the kingsley maiden but it definitely sounds sweeter and more velvety than the typical class D amps that I have used.

and they both seem to be in stock at musicians friend / guitar center.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    you might try checking out the two micro tube DV Mark amps that are out. There is a 60w and 250w. Very reasonably priced. About $300USD for the 60 and $499 for the 250. I have the 250 and it's really great. Not quite as sweet sounding as a 12ax7 preamp like the kingsley maiden but it definitely sounds sweeter and more velvety than the typical class D amps that I have used.

Those are great! If my long awaited SB doesn’t show signs of movement soon, I may have to do a DV. But my poor Quilter endured 3 months of bobbing in the Pacific and vegging on a loading dock in a huge tin can just to get to me. I feel guilty abandoning the little guy now that he’s finally made it to our shores

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker;[URL="[URL
    tel:1165816[/URL]"]1165816[/URL]]you might try checking out the two micro tube DV Mark amps that are out. There is a 60w and 250w. Very reasonably priced. About $300USD for the 60 and $499 for the 250. I have the 250 and it's really great. Not quite as sweet sounding as a 12ax7 preamp like the kingsley maiden but it definitely sounds sweeter and more velvety than the typical class D amps that I have used.

Thanks for the info Jack ....
    do you find the lack of a Gain control on these to be an issue ?
    (most of their other models have a gain control)

User Info Menu

BTW -- the SB-US appears to be back on the market, for proper price! Some dealers at Reverb, Sweetwater, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    ... now I know what the Princeton sounds like through the TOOBs I have higher expectations…
    Can you expand on this. Does the Princeton sound better through TOOB than it's own cabinet in your opinion? Or were you just comparing SS heads with Princeton's amp section using the same cabinet (TOOP) and you found that Princeton sounded better?

User Info Menu

Got the back-in-stock email from SW and think I'll wait and wth do I know but really don't want a SB that's been in a container box setting on or next to the oceans salty water for 20 yrs or however long...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    I really don't want a SB that's been in a container box setting on or next to the oceans salty water for 20 yrs or however long...
    That's the main reason I canceled my backorder with MF 2 weeks ago and bought a DV Mark Raw Dawg EG 250 head instead for $299 on holiday sale. Except for the vendor's immediate return privilege for any reason, I'm not even convinced that internal damage from corrosion would be covered by the manufacturer's warranty without a fight. And especially if it's switches, jacks etc that suffer, it may not be until after the warranty period that any problem becomes obvious.

I'm truly sorry I can't check out the Superblock US. Jim's experiences made me really anxious to try it out, and I still hope to do so one day. But if Quilter holds true to their history, they'll come out with a new version or replacement model at some point in the next year. Meanwhile, the Raw Dawg is a great jazz amp!

FWIW, I'd used my $25 birthday credit at MF on the order for the SB, and I lost it when I changed the order. They would not apply it to the EG250. Given the reason I changed the order and the fact that I'm not a new customer, I was surprised that they did this to me. As we're disussing in jzucker's thread about his Bambino, a dealer's actions should not go unrewarded - I think MF has lost a good customer over $25.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Can you expand on this. Does the Princeton sound better through TOOB than it's own cabinet in your opinion? Or were you just comparing SS heads with Princeton's amp section using the same cabinet (TOOP) and you found that Princeton sounded better?
    The Princeton sounds pretty much the same through the TOOB as through the combo cab and speaker.

This shouldn’t be terribly surprising they are both 10” speakers but where it gets interesting is with the Toob Metro which sounds… about the same as the larger speaker albeit with reduced headroom.

It’s like using an attenuator. I’m not a speaker engineer but presumably a lot of the power is going into the bass. Impressive work anyway!

The thing is what I thought was an acceptable sound for the TOOB metro in fact sells the speaker short. It’s the amp that’s the weak link. These speakers are excellent.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 01-15-2022 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

If SW wants to since they kept my money for 6 months while I waited for pre-ordered SB they can just send me one to try out for 6 months and then bill me if I don't return it. Soon as I clicked pre-order bam my money was taken.

User Info Menu

Mine has arrived but it’ll be a couple of days before I pick it up.

everybody still happy with theirs?

User Info Menu

Here's a happy camper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Mine has arrived but it’ll be a couple of days before I pick it up.

everybody still happy with theirs?
    Very

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug

the onboard reverb has improved immensely. The 60w head is available with a microtube and it makes a HUGE diff. I have the 250w version with microtube and it's a stunning amp. I can run it head to head with my hand-wired vacuum tube, amplified nation and it holds its own pretty damn well. The amplified nation might be 4-5% better but the dvmark amps with the microtube have improved reverb and the sound and feel of a tube amp.

User Info Menu

Jack, exactly which of the plethora of DV Mark heads is that?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the onboard reverb has improved immensely. The 60w head is available with a microtube and it makes a HUGE diff. I have the 250w version with microtube and it's a stunning amp. I can run it head to head with my hand-wired vacuum tube, amplified nation and it holds its own pretty damn well. The amplified nation might be 4-5% better but the dvmark amps with the microtube have improved reverb and the sound and feel of a tube amp.
    I tried one of the early 250s (maybe the Metal?) and the reverb was God-awful. Maybe I should try a new one.

User Info Menu

Is the power equivalant to 25w tube, or 25w ss?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I tried one of the early 250s (maybe the Metal?) and the reverb was God-awful. Maybe I should try a new one.
    Yes, i had the previous GH250 (without the tube) and the reverb was very mediocre and the amp was very stiff.

However, I recently bought a UA Golden Reverberator and it's spring reverb rivals most boutique, tube driven, physical spring reverbs and has a studio quality plate reverb and several others as well so I typically use that with every amp now. Though as I said, the built in reverb on the amp is sufficient and much better than the original GH250's reverb.