The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I went to the Guitar auction in Bristol this week, to view my chosen lots before the bidding. In all I picked out around 15 Arcthops; none of which I ended up winning.

Whilst I was there I tried a random Guild dreadnought. USA Guild, always peaks my interest.
    I wasn't expecting much; acoustics in auctions arena't usually very good (ime) but this thing sounded phenomenal. The trebles are sweet and round, the bass is tight and deep and the thing just resonates.

I put a price down in my book regarding how much I would pay and come the live bidding, it stuck at £50 over my target price, so I thought what the hell and hit the bid button, right on the hammer.

Was not expecting to walk away from an auction with a 1982 Guild D70NT. Had never heard of one before and I don't really have the money, or need, for an acoustic flat top. That being said, I can't wait to pick it up.

It turns out these are quite rare. It's rumoured there is between 300 and 500 made between 1980 and 1985 and all the reports on them I could find, rave about the tone.
    Comes with original case and tags+booklet.

Internet lore has this as one of the best Dreadnoughts, Guild ever made. I can see why.

Happy Days.

Guild D70NT-screenshot-2021-12-09-02-29-04-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, I love the inlays.
    Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monkmonk1
    Nice guitar, I love the inlays.
    Play it in good health!
    Yes I had to double take on the inlays. They look more like Epiphone ones.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

you did a very smart and good and cool thing

have you checked out the let's talk guild forum? probably the best place to find someone that knows something about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    you did a very smart and good and cool thing

have you checked out the let's talk guild forum? probably the best place to find someone that knows something about it.
    Cheers Feet and thanks for the suggestion. I'll go and stay hello to the guys over there

User Info Menu

with a guitar this esoteric, if they don't know, nobody does.

report back with your findings. i'd love to hear some thoughts (or sounds?). have a couple of older guilds and they are so cool. that's an interesting model from an interesting era in guild.

User Info Menu

report back with your findings. i'd love to hear some thoughts (or sounds?). have a couple of older guilds and they are so cool. that's an interesting model from an interesting era in guild.
    I've played some excellent Guild acoustics over the years and this is up there with the best of them.

Will post some sound clips over the weekend.
    Last edited by Archie; 12-09-2021 at 10:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Good score! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Pics Guild D70NT-img_9226-jpgGuild D70NT-img_9225-jpgGuild D70NT-img_9229-jpgGuild D70NT-img_9230-jpgGuild D70NT-img_9228-jpgGuild D70NT-img_9227-jpgGuild D70NT-img_9231-jpgGuild D70NT-img_9233-jpg

User Info Menu

Feet - So far I've discovered that around 280 were made. They were Guilds highest priced Dreadnaught, costing around $1650 in 1982. It was listed as a 'super dreadnaught'.
    The case was $140 extra.
    The guitar has solid woods (not sure about sides but likely).
    They are apparently very rare in the UK.

I lucked out.

Guild D70NT-1-1-jpegGuild D70NT-1-2-jpegGuild D70NT-1-3-jpegGuild D70NT-1-4-jpegGuild D70NT-1-5-jpegGuild D70NT-1-6-jpegGuild D70NT-1-7-jpegGuild D70NT-1-8-jpeg

User Info Menu

A first-rate instrument and something of a Time capsule. A find indeed!

User Info Menu

Archtopheaven, Congrats on the Guild. Those of us who have owned Guild guitars made in Hoboken/Westerly know what fine instruments many were. In many respects, Guild was the successor to the old New York Epiphone company.

One thing that I have been told by several luthiers is that neck resets are particularly difficult on the Guilds (I am not sure if this is due to the glues used or the design of the dovetail). Flattop guitars by their geometry tend to need a neck reset more often than an archtop. Seeing as you have become a luthier, should your new guitar need a neck reset in a few years (perhaps that had already been done?), you will be able to sort that out. Others may want to consider this maintenance item prior to purchasing older Guilds.

User Info Menu

I've always loved dreadnaughts. This one is great! Congrats.