The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Mark just finished his latest batch. Here is mine:

Campellone’s latest batch-1683ef82-9c66-44bb-883d-a8fffb14b139-jpegCampellone’s latest batch-5a3709aa-5cad-4eee-b19b-0e7a2c2ca6a4-jpeg

I’ll do a proper NGD when I receive it. I can’t wait!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dark cherry sunburst.....Saaaweeet !!! Congrats

User Info Menu

More shots to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone’s latest batch-campellone-batch-577-582-1-jpeg Campellone’s latest batch-campellone-batch-577-582-2-jpeg 

User Info Menu

I see that someone ordered a gold foil pickup. I thought about that before going with the Biltoft CC floater. I’d love to do an A/B.

User Info Menu

Mine is on the front of the stack. The top is a NOS 50s L4 top!

Campellone’s latest batch-fe759607-5b13-4e63-80bc-f0a35e19363d-jpegCampellone’s latest batch-879824ea-9bc9-4fbe-b2dd-ad3aca5102ad-jpeg

User Info Menu

Very cool, Jay!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    I see that someone ordered a gold foil pickup. I thought about that before going with the Biltoft CC floater. I’d love to do an A/B.
    It looks like a DArmond.

User Info Menu

Holy smokes, what a collection?!! Huge congrats on the new ax.

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous guitars, Congratulations guys!

User Info Menu

I would love to see a front on pic of that last reddish looking one as I still haven't decided on a color for mine, though I am leaning towards the brown burst one on his homepage

User Info Menu

Mine shown above is chestnut sunburst, and the front looks darker than the back as the 50s NOS spruce top had darkened a bit with age. Mark said he applied the same stain to the front and back when I asked if the front actually looked darker or if it was just the lighting. I dig it!!!

User Info Menu

Picking out the finish color was very hard for me. I went around and around between Dark Cherry Burst, Chestnut Burst, and Antique Burst. I am happy with where I settled on Dark Cherry Burst, but I know I would have loved any of them. Mark’s finishes are spectacular.

User Info Menu

In the past year, Mark got three NOS Gibson carved spruce tops - a JS top, an L-4/L4C/L50 top, and an L7/L7C/L5/L5C top. The JS was used on my Gibsellone Award, the 16" one was used on Jay's just-completed guitar, and the last top is available as an option on an existing or future order. Impossibly rare, airdried for 60 years or more, and quite gorgeous - someone grab it!
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone’s latest batch-campellone-gib-tops-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-20-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Mark is a pretty flexible guy. Most builders would tell you to F off if you said hey use this Gibson top instead of yours.

Or maybe Mark is like cool one less top to carve….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Mark is a pretty flexible guy. Most builders would tell you to F off if you said hey use this Gibson top instead of yours.
    Or maybe Mark is like cool one less top to carve….
    Well, given that:
    -he is intimately familiar with Gibson archtops;
    -they are one of the main inspirations for his design approach;
    -he has built over 580 archtops to date;
    -the opportunity to work with NOS parts like these is vanishingly rare;
    I can understand his enthusiasm for working with these carved plates, solving whatever challenges they present, and integrating them into his production process. I know that both of them required all sorts of work that was not part of his established methodology. Given that my socks are knocked off every time I play the "Gibsellone Award" he built for me, it was unquestionably worth the extra effort. I look forward to playing Jay's Campellone "El Forte!" (my name for it).

I have one Gibson top plate left, which is not NOS, but was removed from a (presumably otherwise destroyed) blonde, non-cutaway 1950s-era Super 400. It would be nice to mate it to a Super 400 with a smashed-up top, if anyone knows of such a beast. Also, if anyone can recommend any bulk deals on socks, that would be swell.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-21-2022 at 02:20 PM.