The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

This is a 2016 MIM Fender Mustang from their short lived Offset Series. I wanted a short scale electric to keep in standard tuning and I've been considering a Mustang for several months. There are a lot of different versions but this is the one that seems to fit the bill the best for me: no trem, no weird switches, solid build quality, reasonable price. I played it yesterday and really enjoyed it so it's coming home with me this afternoon. I'll throw a set of light weight flat wounds on it and it should be good to go.

This little guy is coming home with me this afternoon-mustangfromad-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Enjoy, Jim. Mustangs are quite nice.

User Info Menu

Mustangs have always intrigued me. Among other things this would make a great “couch” or “travel” guitar.
    Maybe post a vid when you get a chance?

Good luck with it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Among other things this would make a great “couch” or “travel” guitar.
    It also makes a great backup guitar. I carried an original orange Mustang in my trunk for years and even used it on a few wedding dates just for fun.

User Info Menu

As a Mustang owner, I welcome you to the club. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Wow, congrats!

Always when I play mine I wonder why do I need all the five Gibsons. (Of course I need them!)

Mine is a bit thicker bodied replica of a ’65 Mustang that I had some years in 1980s ’til I had this made. Nowadays it has humbuckers. Pure fun to play!

And as You everybody always remember, John MacLaughlin plays a Mustang on the Miles’ In A Silent Way.

User Info Menu

When I read the title of this thread I thought Jim got a new puppy.

But 24" scale Mustangs are almost as cute...and won't eat your slippers.

Congratulations. Enjoy your new 'Stang.

User Info Menu

Never having played one myself : do these have a specific, recognizable sound or is it more the feel of the small body/short scale ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    When I read the title of this thread I thought Jim got a new puppy.

But 24" scale Mustangs are almost as cute...and won't eat your slippers.

Congratulations. Enjoy your new 'Stang.
    The puppy happened in August (although it was a little girl and she's actually 2.5 years old)

This little guy is coming home with me this afternoon-starlainthewindow-11-16-2021-1000-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Never having played one myself : do these have a specific, recognizable sound or is it more the feel of the small body/short scale ?
    This model is so far from the original that it's really only about the scale length and size. It has no trem and none of the odd slider switches, just a string trough body and a conventional three way switch with two single coil pickups. By the time I put my flat wound strings on it, it could almost be a short scale Tele. The logic for me is that I like all of my guitars to have similar tension levels. With the short scale length tuned to standard pitch I get roughly the same feel as my longer guitars tuned down to D-standard with all of them using the same D'Addario Chrome extra light strings.

User Info Menu

Nice one Jim
    I was thinking of getting one myself

can you let us know if the location
    of the switch is a problem
    particularly when strumming ?

I wouldn’t have put it there ,
    otherwise I think it’s a beautiful design

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Nice one Jim
    I was thinking of getting one myself

can you let us know if the location
    of the switch is a problem
    particularly when strumming ?

I wouldn’t have put it there ,
    otherwise I think it’s a beautiful design
    Honestly, I never strum so it's a non-issue for me. On mine though (and I don't know if this is stock of the result of someone's intervention), the switch is set up to move from neck to bridge (parallel to the body edge) rather than bass to treble (right angle to the body edge), so even if someone hit it while strumming, it's likely that nothing would happen.

User Info Menu

Where are the f holes? Taped over?