The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Which amp would be your preference for swing and bop? I like the headphone input on the Aviator Mach 3. Other than that, for all practical purposes, both amps seem identical. Some of you own both. I'd especially like to hear from those people. Which amp would you prefer? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both amps for swing, bop, and jazz blues? Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well mach 2 12 is absolutely awesome so.......
    Mo

User Info Menu

These amps don't seem to get too much attention here. There's a lively ongoing discussion on the relative merits of various versions on the Quilter Guitar Amplifier Owners' Facebook group. Granted, much of it is not directly related to jazz, but are we still looking back to Polytones in assuming that a particular amp is particularly good for a particular music genre? A good Class D does it all! I see the same guys using the same Quilter amps for pedal steel one day and a church symphony performance on a Gibson L-5 the next. Reputation trails reality, so many people still think Quilters are too bright for jazz. Comparing my earlier ToneBlock 200 and 101R to my current SuperBlocks, the voicings have changed a lot for the better, and the EQ range is broader at the bottom end. A lot depends on the speaker, but that's another story.

User Info Menu

Well I have (2) Mach 2's, 8 and 12, so maybe I'll just wait for Mach 4. Or 5. Or 6.

User Info Menu

In all seriousness, I like the Mach 3 layout. Sort of a cross between the old Aviators and the current MicroPros. I wonder if they're going to phase out the MicroPros.

User Info Menu

Quilters all have a basic sonic Clean Tone. Then it becomes power output and other bells and whistles.
    I use a couple of Aviator combos mostly. But also have a TB202 and different cabs for really large venues with LOUD Bands. My Aviators probably would be fine with an extra cab as well.

I think the new Mach IV is great if you want ultimate flexibility and don’t use pedals. But they all are great options!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Quilters all have a basic sonic Clean Tone. Then it becomes power output and other bells and whistles.
    I use a couple of Aviator combos mostly. But also have a TB202 and different cabs for really large venues with LOUD Bands. My Aviators probably would be fine with an extra cab as well.

I think the new Mach IV is great if you want ultimate flexibility and don’t use pedals. But they all are great options!
    Mach IV?! I can't keep up!

User Info Menu

Just tried the new Mach 3 combo. Wow! I’ll be selling my Aviator 1x12” Combo and TB202 and replace it with one of these!

Super Light in weight , Loud, No need for pedals other than say chorus and echo. Great Job Quilter!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Mach IV?! I can't keep up!
    Having recently been sniffing round Quilter, I already have a headache regarding their line up. It seems pretty nebulous.

User Info Menu

Once you gig with one you’ll appreciate how good they are! Consistent great Clean Tone, super versatile, light weight, and loud when needed.
    I have owned every amp imaginable including Dumble OD Special. After switching to Quilters around 6 years ago I’ve never been happier!

User Info Menu

They will be phasing out the Mach 2 series, so if you want a new one, get it now. Of course they're often available on the used market. I really like the 2 channel layout on the Mach 3. But the full range 8" pa speaker in the Mach 2 8 sounds so good for electric-acoustic, I have no need to bring my outboard tweety.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Having recently been sniffing round Quilter, I already have a headache regarding their line up. It seems pretty nebulous.
    Yes they are constantly adding and ending products.

User Info Menu

I need to do a NAD when up to it, but I am totally in love with the jazz sound of my TB202 in a Block Dock 12HD (with the Celeston Neo DN12. Seriously pulling me away from my beloved Eminence DeltaPro. But… the FRFR switch MUST be used, otherwise it’s just another ice pick.
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Well I have (2) Mach 2's, 8 and 12, so maybe I'll just wait for Mach 4. Or 5. Or 6.
    You have to go with the Mach 5!

User Info Menu

Mach 3 seems to be their popular Superblock US and UK pedals in one 200 watt, 2 channel combo. There are probably some overlap between mach 2 and mach 3 in the amp voices. But Mach 2's second channel is a plain SS acoustic amp and it's closed back. Mach 2's also come with a different set of features (boost voices, tremolo, XLR out).

User Info Menu

It is a Celestion Neo 250 Copperback. I've been told that it is "very clear and honest with a frequency response that's tilted away from the lows and towards the highs. It's basically like a brighter thinner EVM12L. It handles tons of power and can easily be fattened up and mellowed out with EQ. "

So I am a bit hesitant.

I play jazz, not flatwound bebop polytone, but like a more modern (I guess) sound.

User Info Menu

The Neo Copperback is a question mark. Initial brouhaha and a few five-star ratings, but not much noise since. Seems to be sold (phased?) out in many places. I got the Scandinavian importer's only (!) sample but haven't found use for it. A young guitar talent A/B'd it vs. a Jensen Tornado Stealth 80 for a rock project (both in a TOOB 12R), and chose the latter. I agreed.

User Info Menu

i don't see the mach series listed on the quilter site anywhere. I was wondering if they discontinued it. I was looking at the possibility of getting the 8" micropro vs the henriksen vs just getting a headrush FRFR-108 (2000w) and plugging my helix stomp into it. Kind of leaning toward the headrush at this point since it's only $250 and I already have the helix stomp...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i don't see the mach series listed on the quilter site anywhere. I was wondering if they discontinued it. I was looking at the possibility of getting the 8" micropro vs the henriksen vs just getting a headrush FRFR-108 (2000w) and plugging my helix stomp into it. Kind of leaning toward the headrush at this point since it's only $250 and I already have the helix stomp...
    I have around 10 amps, Henriksen, Genzler, Roland, etc, but I've been using my Q MicroPro 8 for almost everything I do these days. If you take some time, you can set it up like a 3-ch amp. (Clean, dirty, and overdrive.) If I need serious extreme power, I'll bring the MP12HD version. I'd like to try the Mach 3, I like the layout, but I have my own switching system down pat on the Mach 2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I have around 10 amps, Henriksen, Genzler, Roland, etc, but I've been using my Q MicroPro 8 for almost everything I do these days. If you take some time, you can set it up like a 3-ch amp. (Clean, dirty, and overdrive.) If I need serious extreme power, I'll bring the MP12HD version. I'd like to try the Mach 3, I like the layout, but I have my own switching system down pat on the Mach 2.
    I'm not crazy about the overdrive in any of the SS amps. I had a 200 and 202, supposedly with dumble overdriven tones. The helix modeling amp tones are in another league altogether for cleans and dirty tones. The one issue I have with the quilter amps is that they all sound like they have a permanent bright switch on. I had to keep the tone controls down on all of my guitars. Otherwise, they are fantastic amps but I'm now thinking that one of these small, 2000w powered 8" cabs made by Alto or Headrush along with my helix stomp may be the best and most economical solution for me.

I realize that many folks don't like dealing with amps that have menus...

User Info Menu

Mach series are still in production. I was just looking at the 3 yesterday. Site is unavailable right now. Maybe there's something happening with the website.

I'm not a fan of the high gain sound of overdriven Quilter either. I guess I'd use a pedal for that. I like a little bit when I hit it hard. The tone and feel works for me, a Mesa guy for some 40 years.

For jazz tone there's no better example than Rich Severson with his Mach2, and now 3.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Mach series are still in production. I was just looking at the 3 yesterday. Site is unavailable right now. Maybe there's something happening with the website.

I'm not a fan of the high gain sound of overdriven Quilter either. I guess I'd use a pedal for that. I like a little bit when I hit it hard. The tone and feel works for me, a Mesa guy for some 40 years.

For jazz tone there's no better example than Rich Severson with his Mach2, and now 3.
    I don't think the mp series are. They weren't listed on the site yesterday. (The site is down today so I can't check)

And several sites that sell quilter don't list the mp series anymore...It appears that the aviator series has replaced the mp line...

Quilter Labs Guitar Combo Amps | Sweetwater

The mach 3 is an aviator line amp, not an mp series. The mp series were closed back and came in an 8, 10 and 12 configuration. The one I was interested in was the mp8 because of the size and weight...

User Info Menu

You're probably right Jack. I thought I saw MicroPro this week, but maybe not. I was mostly checking out the Mach3, which as you say is part of the Aviator line.

Damn hard to keep up with those guys. Wasn't that long ago I had the Aviator 8, which was a simplified MP2: closed back 8" job. I think it was only offered for something like 2 years. My brother digs it now.

User Info Menu

I have a micropro 8. It's a very versatile, great sounding amp. I find that it sounded even better through other cabinets that I tried. I looked for speaker swapping options. It's really hard to find an 8 inch guitar speaker that can handle the power of the amp. Eminence Alpha 8 (also not a guitar speaker) can be a better option than the stock speaker as it's a rounder, less bright speaker. Eminence 820H (hemp speaker) is probably even a better choice but it's not powerful enough. Not that I ever dime the volume but still risky I suppose.