The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is my Heritage Golden Eagle. This bridge is a definite upgrade. Our own Guitarcarver from JGF did this masterpiece plus several more for me.

New Bridge Day (NBD)-20211204_170421-jpgNew Bridge Day (NBD)-20211204_170516-jpgNew Bridge Day (NBD)-20211204_170528-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice looking work! Well done, Guitarcarver!

User Info Menu

Hooray for Guitarcarver! His setup on a guitar that I have is truly fabulous!

User Info Menu

It's always a pleasure to work with Mark and his fine instruments. Thanks for the kind words.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    It's always a pleasure to work with Mark and his fine instruments. Thanks for the kind words.
    Your workmanship is beautiful! I’m wondering how you decide on the size and shape of the contact area(s) between the base of the bridge and the top. I’ve seen bridges wider and narrower, longer and shorter, etc. Some sit on “feet” at the ends and others sit all the way across.

I assume (for no good reason) that the choice of smaller contact patches at the ends vs a contact area the full length and width of the base is related to bracing and other structural parameters. But I’ve never read or heard any factual information about these decisions. Do you have a set of guidelines that help you decide?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Your workmanship is beautiful! I’m wondering how you decide on the size and shape of the contact area(s) between the base of the bridge and the top. I’ve seen bridges wider and narrower, longer and shorter, etc. Some sit on “feet” at the ends and others sit all the way across.

I assume (for no good reason) that the choice of smaller contact patches at the ends vs a contact area the full length and width of the base is related to bracing and other structural parameters. But I’ve never read or heard any factual information about these decisions. Do you have a set of guidelines that help you decide?
    The dimensions of this particular bridge base was derived from a standard Heritage piece so it would rest where the original had already worn in on the top.

My process on custom builds is like you've mentioned, related to bracing pattern, top carve/graduation etc. I don't subscribe to a one size fits all approach even if building 2 similar instruments at the same time. I like to experiment with bridge base size and wood variety and simply listen for differences.