The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I have a guitar made in 1950s. But I cant find brand manufacturer.
    It's a jazz electric guitar. It's written on its head "Record".

Do you have any idea that who might be the manufacturer?

Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-img-20211202-wa0006-jpg

Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-img-20211202-wa0002-jpg

Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-img-20211202-wa0005-jpg

Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-img-20211202-wa0004-jpg

Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-img-20211202-wa0006-jpg

Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-img-20211202-wa0002-jpg

Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-img-20211202-wa0005-jpg

Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-img-20211202-wa0004-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Probably German. Let's what Hammertone has to say.

User Info Menu

It's a gorgeous Musima Record, their top-of-the-line offering.
    Made in Markneukirchen, East Germany.
    Based on the tuners and pickups, this looks like the second-to-last version of the guitar, probably late-1960s/early-1970s. The model was discontinued in 1978.

Musima introduced the Record in 1954, based on the Roger Super archtop design, which had been graciously donated to the Workers' Paradise by Wenzel Rossmeisel in 1951, along with his shop, jigs, tooling, wood, and partially/fully completed guitars. An honoured guest of the Stasi in Waldheim prison from 1951 to 1954, Wenzel focused on perfecting his skills as a cabinet maker, before leaving East Germany in 1954 and re-starting the Roger company in 1955, in Mittenwald, West Germany.

This guitar looks dead stock, and is missing only its pickguard.
    -probably has a lovely wide neck.
    -carved spruce top, carved maple or anigree back;
    -ebony fretboard;
    -Simeto pickups;
    -@17+ inches wide, thinline;
    -tons of binding and purfling.
    Great guitars! The main issue with them, easily remedied, is less-than-stellar fretwork.

The top is built with the spruce very thick under the area of the strings, obviating the need for added struts/tone-bars. It's a neat design, used by only a few makers over the years, and quite suitable for a thinline instrument designed specifically to be played as an electric guitar.

These guitars typically sell for under $1,000 and do come up for sale regularly in Europe, where buyers are simply too ignorant to appreciate them. They are probably the best value in the world for fully-carved archtop electric guitars.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-02-2021 at 06:41 PM.

User Info Menu

, Kamal!

Quote Originally Posted by hammertone
    it's a gorgeous musima record, their top-of-the-line offering.
    Made in markneukirchen, east germany.
    Based on the tuners and pickups, this looks like the second-to-last version of the guitar, probably late-1960s/early-1970s. The model was discontinued in 1978.
    Probably has a lovely wide neck.

This one looks dead-stock, and is missing only its pickguard.
    -ebony fretboard;
    -simeto pickups;
    Great guitars! The main issue with them, easily remedied, is less-than-stellar fretwork.

The top is built with the spruce very thick under the area of the strings, obviating the need for added struts/tone-bars. It's a neat design, used by only a few makers over the years, and quite suitable for a thinline instrument designed specifically to be played as an electric guitar.

These guitars typically sell for under $1,000 and do come up for sale regularly in europe, where buyers are simply too ignorant to appreciate them. They are probably the best value in the world for carved archtop electric guitars.

thank you for the detail information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    It's a gorgeous Musima Record, their top-of-the-line offering.
    Made in Markneukirchen, East Germany.

Musima introduced the Record in 1954, based on the Roger Super archtop design, which had been graciously donated to the Workers' Paradise by Wenzel Rossmeisel in 1951, along with his shop, jigs, tooling, wood, and partially/fully completed guitars. An honoured guest of the Stasi in Waldheim prison from 1951 to 1954, Wenzel focused on perfecting his skills as a cabinet maker, before leaving East Germany in 1954 and re-starting the Roger company in 1955, in Mittenwald, West Germany.

This guitar looks dead stock, and is missing only its pickguard.
    -probably has a lovely wide neck.
    -ebony fretboard;
    -Simeto pickups;

These guitars typically sell for under $1,000 and do come up for sale regularly in Europe, where buyers are simply too ignorant to appreciate them. They are probably the best value in the world for fully-carved archtop electric guitars.
    I am extremely impressed that you knew all this about this guitar….wow.

User Info Menu

Hammertone is Da Man with this stuff and generous with his knowledge. Always amazing!

User Info Menu

I have a couple of old Records around here somewhere. I need to get them onto the Chair for some pix. I recently found my old Musima Spezial, which is theoretically a slightly less fancy model. It's conventionally braced.
    Attached Images Attached Images Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-musima-spezial-front_0465-jpg Do you know the manufacturer of my guitar?-musima-spezial-back_0475-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hammertone is a great expert!

User Info Menu

Yes indeed!

User Info Menu

Keep 'em coming. Or, just send me money.