The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Just picked this up at an estate sale for very cheap.
    It seems like the neck is from an L-48 or possibly (a guess) a ES-125.
    Supposedly, and take this for what it is, the deceased owner of the guitar was good friends with Les Paul (fellow NJ folks)
    and Les advised the interesting modification of the F-holes.

A few things that jumped out to me:
    * I've never seen a "Natural" L-48.
    * the colors of the side and back are SO different than the color of the neck.
    Tried to show this in pics. Back and side are almost a reddish hue.
    * No numbers that I can see on the inside, but its pretty dirty.

Guitar plays pretty good and action is low. Top seems to be level due to a little bit of sinking.
    Seems like a guitar ripe for some electronic mods.

Any thoughts are welcome!
    Mystery Gibson L-48......?????-gibson-l-48-front-jpgMystery Gibson L-48......?????-gibson-l-48-back-jpgMystery Gibson L-48......?????-gibson-l48-side-jpgMystery Gibson L-48......?????-gibson-l-48-neck-jpgMystery Gibson L-48......?????-gibson-l-48-neck-body-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

!?!!???!!!!

As the proud owner of an L-48, I must say that scrolling down gave me quite a shock. What's up with those soundholes? What kind of madman would do that to a defenseless instrument? What are we coming to, as a society, when such things can occur? I'd write my congressman, but he's A Idiot, so I won't.

What was the question, again? (Re-reads post) OMG!! -Les Paul suggested this? My world view is crumbling before my eyes! I may need to practice playing guitar just to settle my nerves....

User Info Menu

How's it sound? Any idea of what the goal was with the soundholes now that you've played it?

Sarcastically: as the owner of a very beaten up old Gibson, I gotta say I like mine better, partially because the F-holes look normal and even wise compared to yours

User Info Menu

Well, Les was a tinkerer and modified almost all of his guitars but I never saw him modify the f holes, usually just the electronics (unless you count 'the log' )

User Info Menu

Pretty likely a sunburst that was refinished, maybe when the F hole mod was done. Speaking of which, I've seen new high dollar instruments with uglier F holes. Those wouldn't bother me at all.

User Info Menu

I like it! Does it sound good acoustically?

User Info Menu

I laughed, I cried. Then I laughed some more.
    Install a nice set-in neck pickup and play the hell out of it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I like it! Does it sound good acoustically?
    It sounds pretty good, actually.
    THe strings on it are thin and dead acosutic strings.
    Have to see what I wanna slap on there and, once I do, will report back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I laughed, I cried. Then I laughed some more.
    Install a nice set-in neck pickup and play the hell out of it!
    Haha, yeah, she is a funny one for sure.
    I really would love to know more about the background on this thing.
    I gather it is an L-48. I can't imagine someone taking a Gibson neck
    and slapping it on some random guitar body, but who knows.
    The finish is bizarre. Its a real kaleidoscope of colors

Anyone have any idea what a body refinish would cost?

Also, I already have a very good ES-125, so I wouldn't put a P-90 in it. Pickup thoughts/suggestions?

User Info Menu

DeArmond Rhythm Chief, without question. At least that's my opinion, and I have one like everyone else does.

User Info Menu

a Rhythm Chief might not fit close enough to the end of the neck as the board is flush w/the top

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    ...I already have a very good ES-125, so I wouldn't put a P-90 in it. Pickup thoughts/suggestions?
    A nice humbucker in the neck spot would sound great, I bet. Paint it black!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-03-2021 at 03:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    a Rhythm Chief might not fit close enough to the end of the neck as the board is flush w/the top
    Perhaps not, but the mounting rod is fairly long, and if it can be used, it's what I prefer. If there isn't enough room for a Rhythm Chief, there are few other viable options.

User Info Menu

My Bjarton with the fat of the c holes on the bottom sounds surprisingly good so I'm not shocked. I'd suggest undertop transducers like the K&K Big Twin mounted under each bridge foot area.

And a refinish,.that is awful....

User Info Menu

Update:

I was able to find the FON and its a 1958 L-48.

User Info Menu

Looks like a fun project, I have a 58 ES125 and it really looks like the same size. I'd look inside with a mirror or phone to check the braces for condition, location and size if you drop in a humbucker. When I have the pickup out on my 125 I'm always surprised how much louder it is acoustically with that hole by the fingerboard. Since you are already modified it might be fun to put in a German style sound oval there with a mini humbucker. More sound could come around the edges.....
    Last edited by Cavalier; 12-03-2021 at 03:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier
    Looks like a fun project, I have a 58 ES125 and it really looks like the same size. I'd look inside with a mirror or phone to check the braces for condition, location and size if you drop in a humbucker. When I have the pickup out on my 125 I'm always surprised how much louder it is acoustically with that hole by the fingerboard. Since you are already modified it might be fun to put in a German style sound oval there with a mini humbucker. More sound could come around the edges.....
    Thanks for the input and insight!
    I will add that to the list of choices for this project.

User Info Menu

The resto route is pretty straightforward too, the pressed spruce top makes it easy to glue in fillers to restore the f-holes. Solid color or dark stain for the top would make it easier. Quieter too I imagine; for sure change those strings and play it while you ponder.

User Info Menu

Mystery Gibson L-48......?????-dearmond-l-48-gibson-jpg

have a plan, i think....