The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hello! Does anyone have experience with Quilter amps? Currently, I am thinkig about replaceing my Henriksen jazzamp 112 head and cabinet, with a nice combo of theirs. I like the clean sound of the Henriksen, but in my opinion, they are not the greatest platform for pedals. Can the Quilter Aviator Cub take pedals (especially overdrive) well?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quilter Aviator 1x8” Combo used. Guaranteed you’ll never need another amp. Just add another light weight cab if you play in a Loud Rock band. Direct out is great, no problems for pedals, or even acoustic, synths, etc!

User Info Menu

Three weeks with a Quilter Tone Block 202 in. 12” dock block. Weights very little but e have ti measure
    Awesome, as good as my Walter Woods. Worth checking out. Chuck Levins in DC and online has good pricing
    Jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BenVir97
    Hello! Does anyone have experience with Quilter amps? Currently, I am thinkig about replaceing my Henriksen jazzamp 112 head and cabinet, with a nice combo of theirs. I like the clean sound of the Henriksen, but in my opinion, they are not the greatest platform for pedals. Can the Quilter Aviator Cub take pedals (especially overdrive) well?

User Info Menu

You might want to visit the Quilter Guitar Amp Owners' FB pages. This is almost like a religious sect. Yet, they all can't be wrong. In fact, the Quilter SuperBlock US has become my go-to amp, combined with one of my 6.5" Metros (smaller gigs) or 10"-12" TOOBs (larger venues), with a total rig weight of 5-11 lbs. A 202 will probably be my next and quite possibly last amp purchase.

User Info Menu

I have limited experience with quliter, and it was awhile back.

For me, with pedals, the high eq range of the amp has to be a little sparkely, and a bit juicey.. sparkely: extended highs that are not harsh... juicey: a little breakup that adds harmonic richness.

A flat amp, does not work as well for me. (However, I use a number of flat amps with fx all the time. Is it perfect? ... no. It does work for me).

IMHO, amps that make excellent pedal platforms: twin, hiwatt, and JC... there are others. (FYI the Tonemaster Twin (modeling amp) is a beautiful amp but gets fizzy with dirt and even more so with fuzz).

People think I am crazy, but for fx, I highly prefer my JC amps over my Henriksen.

In this case, I am talking about all types of pedals (or racks), ie: time based and wave clippers. Eq, depends on what type and what use.

My limited experience with quilter is that it is not a great platform for pedals but those were older amps. Quilter stuff is awesome.

User Info Menu

From my experience I found the 101 and lower powered Quilters lacking in headroom for louder gigs as well as just bass for my needs. Go with at least the Aviator or TB202 which is double the power. Or if you need all the bells and whistles, the new Mach 4 and small cab Neo Celestion 250

User Info Menu

I am about to do an entire disney musical with just my Quilter MP 8. (And a few pedals.) It sounds fabulous for both electric and acoustic tones. Almost like a 3-channel amp. I'll be using a PRS with piezo, and a Carvin nylon. But get one of the switch-selectable pedals, much more flexible. Of course if you don't need too much flexibility or channel switching, I agree that a used Aviator 8 is a great way to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BenVir97
    I've done a musical-tour last fall with my Bud and a Helix pedal - NO complaints at all ! I plugged the Helix direct into the return/power amp in and used that little cab as my onstage monitor and it was especially practical since the amp is so small. Why do you say it doesn't do well with pedals - did you have bad hands-on experiences ?

User Info Menu

The Superblock plays very well with pedals.

Light Combo for gigging-img_20210918_132509212-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    with a total rig weight of 5-11 lbs.
    That's amazing.

User Info Menu

I can speak very highly of the older Quilter Aviator line - I have the Twin Ten - for an amp with comparable headroom/volume to a Fender Twin Reverb, it's very light. Mine is going to be even lighter soon, I'm swapping out the Celestion G10 Vintages for Jensen Tornado Neos. It has sounded nice with pedals.

You might like the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb too- very light - not as much headroom as the Quilter though. If you do the firmware update that removes the 'bright cap' it's terrific. It can be a bit too bright for some overdrives initially, but after the update it's great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I have limited experience with quliter, and it was awhile back.

For me, with pedals, the high eq range of the amp has to be a little sparkely, and a bit juicey.. sparkely: extended highs that are not harsh... juicey: a little breakup that adds harmonic richness.

A flat amp, does not work as well for me. (However, I use a number of flat amps with fx all the time. Is it perfect? ... no. It does work for me).

IMHO, amps that make excellent pedal platforms: twin, hiwatt, and JC... there are others. (FYI the Tonemaster Twin (modeling amp) is a beautiful amp but gets fizzy with dirt and even more so with fuzz).

People think I am crazy, but for fx, I highly prefer my JC amps over my Henriksen.

In this case, I am talking about all types of pedals (or racks), ie: time based and wave clippers. Eq, depends on what type and what use.

My limited experience with quilter is that it is not a great platform for pedals but those were older amps. Quilter stuff is awesome.
    I have played with Quilter TB202 for some years now and I have found it very nice pedal platform. I’ve played it with Celestion BN300, 12” Neo Tornado and lately Celestion Cream Alnico. I housed the amp to a Tweed Deluxe sized pine cabin and like it a lot. Great sounds for rock and jazz.

I have read that the digital amps (as TM series) would be lousy platforms for pedals. I have not personal ecperience on them but that’s one explanation for fizzines with fuzz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I have played with Quilter TB202 for some years now and I have found it very nice pedal platform. I’ve played it with Celestion BN300, 12” Neo Tornado and lately Celestion Cream Alnico. I housed the amp to a Tweed Deluxe sized pine cabin and like it a lot. Great sounds for rock and jazz.

I have read that the digital amps (as TM series) would be lousy platforms for pedals. I have not personal ecperience on them but that’s one explanation for fizzines with fuzz.
    The quilter I played was a long time ago... maybe 6 to 8 years ago. I think it was about when Henriksen just started to make amps. I would like to checkout the newer stuff.

When it comes to time based fx, I think the TM should work well to super... When it comes to fuzz or dirt, there is a high end harshness.

User Info Menu

@Jehu: Who makes that beautiful speaker cabinet?
    Last edited by ab4zt; 12-04-2021 at 10:27 AM. Reason: more info

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ab4zt
    @Jehu: Who makes that beautiful speaker cabinet?
    HE did! Beautiful, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    HE did! Beautiful, isn't it?
    Indeed it is. Nice work!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ab4zt;1162658]Indeed it is. Nice work![/QUOTE
    ]
    Jehu's craftsmanship is exemplary!