The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I purchased a 64 L7 C coming from a reputable dealer in Chicago. I seem to recall reading about a waiting period before opening it up due to changes in temperature, etc. Archtop.com has an instruction sheet that is sent with its guitars that was very detailed as I recall.

The guitar is to arrive tomorrow, so I would like your advice. I seem to recall waiting 7-12 hours was recommended by someone here awhile ago.

And yes, it was impossible to resist a mid 60s Gibson in excellent condition. It is a pure acoustic that I will unstall my 56 Rhythm Chief floater on. And yes, pics will be forthcoming.

Thanks for your help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It largely depends on the differences in temperature between where it's coming from and going, and the temp along the way. This time of the year, I typically let the guitar sit box unopened for 8 or so hours, then open the box for the rest of the 24 hour period. Better safe than sorry, especially with something costing as much as a vintage L7.

User Info Menu

congrats in advance Fred, and the above advice is about right this time of year.
    p.s. I've found that '64 in general is a great year for Gibson guitars.

User Info Menu

Mmm... I wonder who is the "Reputable dealer in Chicago" is.... mmmm..... And huge congrats awesome guitar!!!

User Info Menu

SS Vintage is the dealer. I will offer more info after guitar arrives.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Neighbor! Couldnt resist this one. I passed on several over the last year, including a couple of reissues. I love L7s - cant wait to hear what a RC sounds like on old wood.

User Info Menu

My view on this is that right now Chicago is not too bad it was nice today I live 2.25 hours south. On a guitar like a older Gibson as long as the box does not feel like it has been left in a deep freeze I think you are perfectly fine to open and take guitar out. First of all you need too check if any damage and you dont want to wait too long. A guitar of that age has seen plenty of the earth's climate and I think very safe. A brand new sprayed nitro finish that would be one that requires the most care. An L7 is the sweet spot for sound and value really. With a Dearmond it can be the best. Gives a full report.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    It largely depends on the differences in temperature between where it's coming from and going, and the temp along the way. This time of the year, I typically let the guitar sit box unopened for 8 or so hours, then open the box for the rest of the 24 hour period. Better safe than sorry, especially with something costing as much as a vintage L7.
    I'm not the OP, but what about a late Spring/Summer transport from San Diego to Sacramento for a new archtop? I'd say there would be a 60 to 90 deg range between towns. I have no idea about the transport.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    I'm not the OP, but what about a late Spring/Summer transport from San Diego to Sacramento for a new archtop? I'd say there would be a 60 to 90 deg range between towns. I have no idea about the transport.
    I am not an expert, by any means, but the wildly different temperatures could have the same effect to the finish. If you have a nitro finished guitar, taking it from 90 down to 60 immediately could result in finish checking or cracks. I'd honestly be less worried with warmer temps like that, but I still wouldn't risk it.

Dave's Guitars doesn't specify time of year, for what it's worth (Wait 24 Hours to Open your Package from Dave's! - Dave's Guitar Shop).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    I am not an expert, by any means, but the wildly different temperatures could have the same effect to the finish. If you have a nitro finished guitar, taking it from 90 down to 60 immediately could result in finish checking or cracks. I'd honestly be less worried with warmer temps like that, but I still wouldn't risk it.

Dave's Guitars doesn't specify time of year, for what it's worth (Wait 24 Hours to Open your Package from Dave's! - Dave's Guitar Shop).
    Thank You

User Info Menu

Congrats, an L7 is a beautiful thing

User Info Menu

Yes, it certainly is. And thanks.

User Info Menu

Other's here are way more experts than me, but I have always waited 24 hours when cold or dealing with extreme temperature changes. The wait is tough, but it has always worked out for me.

That said, congrats on the NGD! Looking forward to a post with pics when you decide to unbox it.