The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I'd love to hear about some first hand experiences playing through the Tele neck pickup.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jim I’d love to try one, especially the newer L.A. Romeo laminate with the Goldo vibrato. I just wish they’d offer a fatter neck option as an up charge for their instruments.

User Info Menu

I picked one up used a few weeks ago being sold on consignment at a local shop. The seller apparently got the guitar directly from Otto D. the designer. It came to me in like new condition.

I’ve been using it for a non-jazz recording project so haven’t had time to do much jazz with it, but will try put up a video in the next couple of weeks. My main complaint so far is not having had a chance to really get to know the guitar. I need to restring it and set it up a bit. As configured right now the tuning stability and intonation are pretty terrible. Not sure if this is just from bad strings or if I need to upgrade the locking tuners.

The single coil has a nice woody tone. Darker than I would have expected. The overall concept of the guitar reminds me for some reason of my Fender D’Aquisto Elite. Completely different animals and the comparison makes no sense—but they have a similar sort of delicate feel that feels special somehow. Vague, I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Jim I’d love to try one, especially the newer L.A. Romeo laminate with the Goldo vibrato. I just wish they’d offer a fatter neck option as an up charge for their instruments.
    The neck on my Romeo is pretty fat…

User Info Menu

That’s good to hear! But the specs on several reviews I’ve read said wide but med depth girth say .850” at first fret to .950” at 12th.
    Maybe it has more shoulder and that would be a big plus for me!

User Info Menu

I tried one (not the SC version, but the twin humbucker one) at a store a while ago - and that one definitely had a small/thin neck (also compared to other Eastman guitars) - I didn't measure, but .850" at the first fret sounds about right, possibly even thinner, definitely not more than that.

User Info Menu

That’s what I was afraid of. Eastman should just offer a larger neck profile for those who would like them . Even though it’s not a huge market I’ll bet at least 10 to 15% more sales.

User Info Menu

Romeo HB owner here. My Romeo has a much fatter neck than my T64, PM100 and Tele. It's the opposite of thin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    Romeo HB owner here. My Romeo has a much fatter neck than my T64, PM100 and Tele. It's the opposite of thin.
    I also own the HB model and the neck is indeed quite a bit chunkier than my ES175 and tele.

User Info Menu

Well, the one I tried at a store was hanging right next to an AR503 - and the Romeo's neck was definitely thinner than that!

But we really need some numbers, because one man's chunky is another man's medium, the only number we've got so far is .850" at the first fret, and that's not chunky at all...

User Info Menu

With calipers, neck thickness of my Romeo SC at first fret is .86-.87" and at 12th fret .90-.91". Nut width is ~1.71".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RomanS
    Well, the one I tried at a store was hanging right next to an AR503 - and the Romeo's neck was definitely thinner than that!

But we really need some numbers, because one man's chunky is another man's medium, the only number we've got so far is .850" at the first fret, and that's not chunky at all...
    It feels "chunkier" than my ES175 (and a 2015 ES335 I had). It is indeed not as "chunky" as the Eastman t386, t486 and a AR603 I have played on in the past though.... Seated mine is perfectly balanced for a guitar that weights just shy of 2.5 kg. IMHO a thicker neck might upset that balance. I can take measurements with a (borrowed) caliper this coming week, but I'm afraid that I'm derailing the OP's question, my apologies for that.
    Last edited by Gumtee; 12-05-2021 at 11:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RomanS

With Eastman, I am convinced it's always best to have some one measure the guitar you want to buy. Several times I have encountered Eastman guitars (same model and production year) that are substantially different. For my FV guitar I measure 1 13/16 at the nut, even though it's normally a nominal 1 3/4. I have seen two AR371s where the feel and thickness of the neck were substantially different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gumtee
    It feels "chunkier" than my ES175 (and a 2015 ES335 I had). It is indeed not as "chunky" as the Eastman t386, t486 and a AR603 I have played on in the past though.... Seated mine is perfectly balanced for a guitar that weights just shy of 2.5 kg. IMHO a thicker neck might upset that balance. I can take measurements with a (borrowed) caliper this coming week, but I'm afraid that I'm derailing the OP's question, my apologies for that.
    Not at all. I consider the neck discussion to be very informative and worthwhile.

User Info Menu

Here is what the single coil neck pickup on the Romeo SC strung with TI 12 flats sounds like through an amp based on the Vibrolux Reverb. I have the amp dialed in for a pretty flat response, guitar volume is full-up, tone knob is probably around 90% of max. This guitar has really grown on me—restringing has increased tuning stability, and it's really just an easy guitar to play. Very articulate. Warm but clear sounding, no mud. No fighting with the instrument at all. The spruce top gives it a little something-something. So does the fully hollow body. So does the ebony fretboard. So does the 24.75" scale. I do think it's more guitar than the sum of its parts—although it is versatile, I think it can sound very much like a "jazz guitar." And the weird f-hole placement looks weirder in pics than in person.

Line out from amp straight into to Logic, post-processing includes an Eminence GA-SC64 speaker impulse response (this is the speaker I have in the amp as well), light EQ/compression/plate reverb, and a generic mastering preset. Nothing too drastic—this is a fair representation of how the guitar sounds. My crappy technique is responsible for any squarks and skronks.

User Info Menu

So I emailed Eastman and they said they don’t offer larger or custom neck shapes. Funny because a couple of years back they said so long as irate was a model they made they would.
    Probably have to many orders as it is.

Glad because then I’d have to get one,LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Here is what the single coil neck pickup on the Romeo SC strung with TI 12 flats sounds like through an amp based on the Vibrolux Reverb. I have the amp dialed in for a pretty flat response, guitar volume is full-up, tone knob is probably around 90% of max. This guitar has really grown on me—restringing has increased tuning stability, and it's really just an easy guitar to play. Very articulate. Warm but clear sounding, no mud. No fighting with the instrument at all. The spruce top gives it a little something-something. So does the fully hollow body. So does the ebony fretboard. So does the 24.75" scale. I do think it's more guitar than the sum of its parts—although it is versatile, I think it can sound very much like a "jazz guitar." And the weird f-hole placement looks weirder in pics than in person.

Line out from amp straight into to Logic, post-processing includes an Eminence GA-SC64 speaker impulse response (this is the speaker I have in the amp as well), light EQ/compression/plate reverb, and a generic mastering preset. Nothing too drastic—this is a fair representation of how the guitar sounds. My crappy technique is responsible for any squarks and skronks.

Nice sound, also nice playing.
    Your SC sounds quite different from my humbucker version. I also like the SC colour better. Every time I pick the Romeo up I'm surprised how compact and light the guitar is. And you may like or dislike the head, tuning stability is excellent.

User Info Menu

Got hold of a set of calipers today. Measurements for my Romeo HB are;

1st fret: 22,3 - 22.4 mm (.87 - .88")
    12th fret: 23,6 - 23,7 mm (.93 - .934")
    Nut width: 44 mm (1.73")

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gumtee
    Got hold of a set of calipers today. Measurements for my Romeo HB are;

1st fret: 22,3 - 22.4 mm (.87 - .88")
    12th fret: 23,6 - 23,7 mm (.93 - .934")
    Nut width: 44 mm (1.73")
    Nice. That's a good handful without being overwhelming.