Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

So, in February or March, I will be able to finalize my specs with Victor Baker and his Model 15 with KAs

Originally I had no need for a bridge pickup, but recently, I thought there may be times when I play at the local church. I wonder if there may be a need for a bridge pickup. I've had strats, teles and Les Pauls, but I have never had an archtop with a bridge pickup. On all of my guitars, I never liked the bridge pickup sound unless I played with distortion, which I never see myself doing today. Although, the bridge and middle pickup combo sound amazing on a strat.

I understand it comes down to what I like, but what are your opinions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I prefer having just a neck pickup on an archtop. I like the little bit of extra acoustic tone it provides (I play unplugged a lot at home). I have a semi-hollow for situations where I might need a bridge pickup.

User Info Menu

I have a VB model 14 with a bridge pickup. And honestly, there are times I'm glad its there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think that this additional pickup may be useful to you. You will have more sonic possibilities.
    Model 15 is not so fat.

User Info Menu

I only used the neck pickup for yrs, but the last 15 or so I found that blending it w/ the back pickup makes a nice less boomy sound, especially for comping on funk tunes etc...

User Info Menu

i'm pretty much 'all neck pickup all the time' for my own stuff, but here's my take on it:
    If i don't have a bridge pickup, i don't miss it... but if i do have one, i will find a use for it occasionally.
    And if i'm playing a guitar that only has a bridge pickup, i'll find a way to get the sound i want and need out of it, between the guitar's settings and those on the amp (or amp/cab sim nowadays). Then again, i play mostly solidbody electric guitars.

In the case of primarily acoustic archtops, i guess the question would be whether or not the pickups are floating (which would allow for more resonance/vibration of the top), and if not, i could see why you might want only one embedded in the top.

User Info Menu

I just sold my eastman AR 905 CE – never missed a bridge pickup. Now I have a GB10 and I don't think I ever used the bridge or middle position. But theses are guitars with floating mini humbuckers which are a little brighter and focused anyway.

If you just think you need a little brighter tone sometimes – how about having a split or parallel option for the neck pickup?

User Info Menu

My take is that more options are better than fewer. The only guitars that I would prefer only neck pickups are acoustic archtops with floating pickups.

User Info Menu

Everybody seems to confirm my current feelings. It looks like VB doesn't charge much extra for a second pickup, so I am probably going to add it.

Thanks you all.

User Info Menu

I often find myself setting the bridge pickup volume to 0 and using the three way switch as an 'on/off' switch on my 2 pickup non-solidbody guitars. On a solidbody I use the bridge pickup a lot, but on a hollow body almost never.

I know that doesn't help (sorry!) but it can still be useful in an on/off type way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    Everybody seems to confirm my current feelings. It looks like VB doesn't charge much extra for a second pickup, so I am probably going to add it.

Thanks you all.
    Good move. More options is generally the best option. I sometimes blend two pickups for the right tone in certain rooms on a gig.

User Info Menu

If you want any of the typical jazz gits like an ES-175. L5 CES, L4, or a host of others I'd say it may not be about the visual like /dislike of the bridge pup, it's about whether a large number of seriously great players have already voted and ignored the bridge pickup on dozens and dozens of models with them.