The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi,

I have spotted one of each.

I have an AS73 with SD (phatcat and 59) and I love it! I need a second guitar for my week commute and I was thinking to stick to Ibanez but try the 339 version

AM93, 2014. Probably 58 Custom, probably no case. I can go and test it. I have started negotiation but probably I can go around 400/450euros and just pick the guitar.

AM153 2015 with his case. Cannot test. The guy seems a serious seller but he is stiff on negotiation. He wants 650euros (maybe I can cat to 600), and I have probably to put 50 euros of expenses

In general, I will probably not need the case that much...

Is, in your opinion, the difference of price really justified?

Thanks a lot!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had an AM 153...

The main difference is the look....

153 has ebony fb and nicer inlay blocks. OK, it has the tri-sound switch for the neck PU that I never used.

Had to do a lot of work when it arrived, fret leveling and that kind of stuff...

I bought an used (but like new) AGS and upgraded the hardware. Prefer it any time against the AM that I sold quickly.
    Don't know if that helps...

But if you insist on AM... I'd go for the cheaper 93 (plus a guitar you can test personally!!!)

Thanks a lot!

The am93 guy did not want to negotiate a reasonable price.

The am153 did not want also and was making to much pressure.

In the meanwhile an as153 at very reasonable price came out. Mint conditions 2016 nice guy who just put it on the market at a reasonable price. I sold it to me in less then a week.

I love the guitar! Why did you have to work on your am153…?

Mine seems perfect need a setup, but the fretboard is outstanding!

User Info Menu

Well, Frets where very uneven, the fret slots where not sawn deep enough, basically I would have to replace the frets (on a brand new guitar!!!)

I decided not to, as I also didn't like the sound too much. The AM lacks bass a lot, has a very mid-rangy sound, main reason I sold it and went for a Yamaha SA2200 as my main guitar.

So good luck with the AS153 which also has a much better sound...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fofig
    Hi,

I have spotted one of each.

I have an AS73 with SD (phatcat and 59) and I love it! I need a second guitar for my week commute and I was thinking to stick to Ibanez but try the 339 version

AM93, 2014. Probably 58 Custom, probably no case. I can go and test it. I have started negotiation but probably I can go around 400/450euros and just pick the guitar.

AM153 2015 with his case. Cannot test. The guy seems a serious seller but he is stiff on negotiation. He wants 650euros (maybe I can cat to 600), and I have probably to put 50 euros of expenses

In general, I will probably not need the case that much...

Is, in your opinion, the difference of price really justified?

Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

I have an AM153 that I bought used for $650.

It is a great guitar. Love the neck. Frets were perfect.

When I got it it was poorly set up and the nut was messed up because the person had used heavier strings and did not cut the nut well. I fixed all that and it is a great sounding, playing and looking guitar and the perfect size for me with a lower bout of 14 1/2". It is a nice weight. The AS series are a bit to big and too heavy for me. Others may like this.

As a comparison I was going to upgrade to an Eastman Romeo. I was able to test them side by side and I liked the AM better. Saved myself allot of money.

Good luck.

Frank

User Info Menu

Just wanted to ask the forum about this topic; so I'm reviving this old thread...

About a year ago I bought an Ibanez AF120 which plays and sounds great. This is my second guitar, I also own a telecaster.
    So, during the last few months I began GASsing for a semi-hollow, but I'm not at all familiar with this type of guitars - I guess I'm curious.
    I have used my telecaster during the last year for my neo-soul, funk, fusion band (it's a bit mixed the music we play) and my Ibanez for my pure jazz group. I think I like the idea of having one guitar that can cover the entire spectrum.

I went and tried a Larry Carlton Sire H7 yesterday at my local shop, because that's the only semi-hollow they have. I found it too bulky and heavy and the neck was really thick. I wasn't expecting that, I was surprised. But still, I am GASsing for a semi-hollow but maybe something like the AM series at Ibanez seems more appropriate to what I'm looking for.

So, given that I live in a small town without many opportunities to try many guitars before buying, I am looking for second-hand ads and online stores.

My shortlist is: new Ibanez AM153QA (I like the ebony fretboard), AM93 or a used made in Japan AM100 from 1990 (from the pictures it looks like it's not being taken great care of- very dusty and the nut is chipped on the side of the top e string)

or if I stay on full size semi-hollows, I can get something like an AS120 which is also on offer (identical to my hollow body, but with a center block) or go for a cheaper option like an AS93. Otherwise an AS113-BS new from an online store.

What would you go for? I would not like to have a guitar with a similar neck to that H7 which I found too thick. The AS120 is like buying the same guitar twice.

And do you think that the AM smaller series lack roundness to the sound? Being smaller and all that, I mean. Someone mentioned that they sound too "middy". The videos I've seen online from Ben Eunson for example and others make me think that they sound great, but then it's not surprising given who is playing the guitar.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoris
    Just wanted to ask the forum about this topic; so I'm reviving this old thread...

About a year ago I bought an Ibanez AF120 which plays and sounds great. This is my second guitar, I also own a telecaster.
    So, during the last few months I began GASsing for a semi-hollow, but I'm not at all familiar with this type of guitars - I guess I'm curious.
    I have used my telecaster during the last year for my neo-soul, funk, fusion band (it's a bit mixed the music we play) and my Ibanez for my pure jazz group. I think I like the idea of having one guitar that can cover the entire spectrum.

I went and tried a Larry Carlton Sire H7 yesterday at my local shop, because that's the only semi-hollow they have. I found it too bulky and heavy and the neck was really thick. I wasn't expecting that, I was surprised. But still, I am GASsing for a semi-hollow but maybe something like the AM series at Ibanez seems more appropriate to what I'm looking for.

So, given that I live in a small town without many opportunities to try many guitars before buying, I am looking for second-hand ads and online stores.

My shortlist is: new Ibanez AM153QA (I like the ebony fretboard), AM93 or a used made in Japan AM100 from 1990 (from the pictures it looks like it's not being taken great care of- very dusty and the nut is chipped on the side of the top e string)

or if I stay on full size semi-hollows, I can get something like an AS120 which is also on offer (identical to my hollow body, but with a center block) or go for a cheaper option like an AS93. Otherwise an AS113-BS new from an online store.

What would you go for? I would not like to have a guitar with a similar neck to that H7 which I found too thick. The AS120 is like buying the same guitar twice.

And do you think that the AM smaller series lack roundness to the sound? Being smaller and all that, I mean. Someone mentioned that they sound too "middy". The videos I've seen online from Ben Eunson for example and others make me think that they sound great, but then it's not surprising given who is playing the guitar.

Thanks
    Hi there!

I recently took delivery of a new AM153QA.

You can get a wide range of tones from it, and I don't find anything lacking due to it's size. It is a very versatile guitar and stage worthy. I just love the coil tap neck pickup sound.

I also have an AF155 from 2013 strung with 12 flats for a "straight ahead" jazz tone.

The necks and fingerboards on both these guitars are wonderful and suit me well. It is eerie that two guitars made 10 years apart in different countries can have such similarity in the fingerboard, fret work, and inlay dept.

So if this helps, I would recommend the AM153QA.

Here is my duo:

Ibanez AM93 vs AM153-img_1719-jpg

Good luck and have fun with your search.

User Info Menu

I've owned an AM153 and also an AM205 from the 80s plus various AS models (among them the AS93 you mentioned).

As much as I liked the smaller from factor of the AM models, they lack sound IMHO. It seems to me that you only can get this big round sound with the big body models.

Make sure you can test play or have a return policy...

I currently have a Yamaha SA2200 as my main guitar. Yes it's big, but I couldn't be happier with the sound (and everything else)....

Edit: Actually, my avatar picture is me playing the AM153

2nd Edit: Just saw that I wrote all that stuff before. I have an AGS for sale, could be an affordable alternative. But it's here in Spain.

Ibanez AM93 vs AM153-01-jpg
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 07-10-2023 at 05:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your replies.
    i would really like to know what the main difference is, if there is one, between a new Artcore Expressionist AM93 (the specs on the new post 2021 ones seem great!) and an old Artstar AS120 from the 90s - apart from size. Are the Korean-build ones better constructed than the newer Indonesian ones?