The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello!

I acquired a beautiful '63 Reverberocket (R-12RA) with this tube complement:
    6SL7 6SN7 6SL7 6SL7 7591 7591 5Y4

It sounds beautiful but the power section runs pretty hot.
    So hot that after 30min or so of playing the top panel is not comfortable to touch.

I am fairly handy with tube amps and am debugging this one, I am just looking for some detailed information.
    I cannot find any schematic for that particular model. There are plenty of schems for the 6V6 version but not that one.

So am looking for info for this specific R-12RA model.
    Other models exists but don't match what I am looking for, I have noted the differences below:

• R-12: no reverb, no trem and 6V6 power tubes
    • R-12A: no reverb, no trem
    • R-12-R-B: solid state rectifier
    • R-12-RM: 12Axx preamp tubes and solid state rectifier

My request:
    - if you own one of those, and the inside back panel of your amp has the paper schematics glued in, would you send me a picture of it please?
    - in particular, I am looking at the filter capacitors value for that particular amp.

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by jazzfrog; 11-22-2021 at 02:33 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do not own a Reverberocket at this time, but bought one a few years back. Unfortunately it arrived damaged beyond repair by the shipper. The amp looked like it exploded, exposing its innards. It looked like there was asbestos padding inside, so be careful.

Anyway, here is a link to this model schematics. Good luck!

63 Reverberocket R-12RA 7591 schematic - Google Search

Thank you for your time.
    I have done that search already, many times, and have not been able to find that particular model... I even looked on Reverb and eBay for screenshots of innards... no luck so far.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jazzfrog;1159967]Hello!

I acquired a beautiful '63 Reverberocket (R-12RA) with this tube complement:
    6SL7 6SN7 6SL7 6SL7 7591 7591 5Y4

It sounds beautiful but the power section runs pretty hot.
    So hot that after 30min or so of playing the top panel is not comfortable to touch.

I bought a new 1964 Reverberocket, in 1964, of course.

It has the solid state rectifier. Same tubes.

Back in 1964 I noticed that the amp ran very hot. Uncomfortable to touch.

My dad suggested writing to the company about it, which I did. I received a postcard in response saying it was normal. It then worked for about 35 years without any repair or maintenance.

So, my view is, fuggedabotit. It's a great amp. Enjoy!
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 11-23-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Wow... thanks for the info, I might just yes, forget about it

User Info Menu

Peavey Classic 30 will get very hot too, not a problem. Tubes get hot, that’s how you know you’re pissing away electricity.

User Info Menu

Tubes get too hot to touch, that’s normal.

If the trafo’s get too hot to touch then the coupling caps might leak DC to the grids of the powertubes. Trafo’s get hot too, but if you can’t rest your hand on it for, say, 10 seconds, then it’s likely too hot. Leaky (coupling) caps is very normal for old amps, especially if they haven’t been used for longer periods.

User Info Menu

Not the same amp, but similar symptoms - I installed a fan in my Fender Vibrolux Reverb to keep the heat down. I got a cheap 12VDC computer fan, wired it to a 12VDC wall wart, and I plug it into the aux power input in the back of the amp. It makes a dramatic difference, and the chassis is not hot to touch even after relatively long and heavy playing. It could be wired to any 12VDC source, or to a spare wall wart, although that might require an extra AC outlet. There are other fans that use different voltages, but 12VDC is the most common and easiest to install. I screwed the fan to the upper back crosspiece, which is convenient on that amp. I don't know about an Ampeg, but it should be easy enough to find a place on any open-back amp.

User Info Menu

I will run my Reverberocket and my two Gretsch/Valco amps on a bucking transformer. It lowers the operating voltage and helps them run a bit cooler.
    Thanks. John