The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Wes recorded several times with a 175. If you want a Wes sound, get a double-jointed thumb. Most players of 17" arch tops sound nothing like Wes.
    While true I think Wes's sound is best on the L5 and not the ES-175.
    When playing with my double jointed thumb, I have always preferred the longer scale length.
    Sounding like Wes is remarkably easy but you'll have an easier time doing so on a bigger bodied guitar because they usually have longer scale lengths and a deeper tone.

But you know all this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Wes recorded several times with a 175. If you want a Wes sound, get a double-jointed thumb. Most players of 17" arch tops sound nothing like Wes.
    So where do I buy one of these "double-jointed thumb" thingies? I must have one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    So where do I buy one of these "double-jointed thumb" thingies? I must have one!
    Look out for the Musician's Friend stupid deal of the day. Best to buy new rather than used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bouviour
    Hi All!
    I've recently been in the market for a hollowbody, however I'm having trouble deciding!
    The market for hollowbodys is pretty slim pickings in Australia, however I'm after some opinions on what the pros and cons would be for each of these guitars. I'm looking to get closer to a Joe Pass/Wes Montgomery sound than my tele is right now.

The first is a Heritage "Eagle", however it does not look like others that I've seen. It has Bare Knuckle P94 style pickups. $3800aud

The second is a Sumi "Hand-Made Loar-Style Guitar". Has a humbucker in the neck. It looks very much like a 175, however I'm not sure about this one as I can only find limited information about this luthier. I believe it's from Japan. $2500aud

Both guitars are all solid woods. The other option is to continue saving for a brand new Heritage 575 ($5k) or Sadowsky Jim Hall ($6k).
    Here are photos:
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet (Heritage)

Imgur: The magic of the Internet (Sumi)

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?
    what draws you to these specifically? Availability/price/aesthetic tradition?
    it’s a narrow field that’s all…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bouviour
    Hi All!
    I've recently been in the market for a hollowbody, however I'm having trouble deciding!
    The market for hollowbodys is pretty slim pickings in Australia, however I'm after some opinions on what the pros and cons would be for each of these guitars. I'm looking to get closer to a Joe Pass/Wes Montgomery sound than my tele is right now.

The first is a Heritage "Eagle", however it does not look like others that I've seen. It has Bare Knuckle P94 style pickups. $3800aud

The second is a Sumi "Hand-Made Loar-Style Guitar". Has a humbucker in the neck. It looks very much like a 175, however I'm not sure about this one as I can only find limited information about this luthier. I believe it's from Japan. $2500aud

Both guitars are all solid woods. The other option is to continue saving for a brand new Heritage 575 ($5k) or Sadowsky Jim Hall ($6k).
    Here are photos:
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet (Heritage)

Imgur: The magic of the Internet (Sumi)

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?