The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

So I've narrowed my list down to three guitars. I'm leaning towards the Ibanez case it has better reviews than the telecaster player.

The second telecaster is the cheaper version of the 60th anniversary model but is second hand and has some knocks and chips.

I have an Ibanez AFJ85 already.

So which one would you recommend and why?

Edit the guitar would be used for solo chord melody style

Thank you

Which of these 3 guitars should I buy?-screenshot_2021-11-19-11-28-46-09_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-jpg
    Which of these 3 guitars should I buy?-screenshot_2021-11-19-11-29-14-00_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-jpg
    Which of these 3 guitars should I buy?-screenshot_2021-11-19-11-29-53-14_de78fa126f61fb173f0719a2f75a47b3-jpg
    Which of these 3 guitars should I buy?-screenshot_2021-11-19-11-30-03-78_de78fa126f61fb173f0719a2f75a47b3-jpg
    Which of these 3 guitars should I buy?-screenshot_2021-11-19-11-30-11-87_de78fa126f61fb173f0719a2f75a47b3-jpg
    Which of these 3 guitars should I buy?-screenshot_2021-11-19-11-30-20-07_de78fa126f61fb173f0719a2f75a47b3-jpg
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 11-19-2021 at 09:12 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A tele without knocks and chips isn't a real tele

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    A tele without knocks and chips isn't a real tele
    But I'd prefer if the knocks and chips were made by me

User Info Menu

I love my MIM Baja Tele, and there are hundreds of pickup sets out there for Teles, usually far cheaper than a set of humbuckers as well. I don't know how much difference there is between an AS93 and an AS200/AS2000, but the MIM Teles in my opinion are very similar to the regular USA Teles.

Tough decision, but at least with whatever choice you make you're likely to get a very nice guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    But I'd prefer if the knocks and chips were made by me
    You easily can just add your own ones

User Info Menu

In terms of quality/price I would suggest the Ibanez. I had several Ibanez guitars, and all of them played great, from the cheaper to the pricier one.
    But! I must admit that for chord melody stuff, the tele sounds great.

User Info Menu

That Ibanez looks so beautiful. On the other my player series Telecaster is fantastic. I like it better than my American Hot Rod Tele. In fact I'll probably sell my Hot Rod tele and keep the Mexican Tele with a clear conscious. But every guitar is different.

User Info Menu

i own stocks, so ibanez.

User Info Menu

- The possible re-sale of a left-handed Tele will be much easier than with a semi-hollow guitar.
    - Do you have any experience re the handling of both types of guitars ? A Tele is quite comfortable in both a standing and a sitting playing position whereas an ES-type might be a bit more awkward in your lap. I play all of my guitars with a strap. Just sayin' .....

User Info Menu

Very different guitars. What kind of sound are you after?

(watch him say Scofield. It's totally gonna be Scofield, isn't it?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Warm, round and full.

I like Tim Lerch's sound but he plays nocasters through expensive fender amps.

I'm still working on getting my own sound.

Who is this Scofeld guy that you are on about

Edit: when I saw your name I thought that you'd immediately say Tele

User Info Menu

I am a big tele fan, but I also don't recommend them to folks if their looking for something specifically non-tele sounding...

I mention Sco as a joke, as he made his whole career playing a semi-hollow Ibanez, and now recently he's been seen with a tele a lot...and he still sounds exactly like himself.

Warm and round...I gotta admit, those words don't mean much to me. Generally, I think "warm" in guitar speak just means "i like it."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    - The possible re-sale of a left-handed Tele will be much easier than with a semi-hollow guitar.
    - Do you have any experience re the handling of both types of guitars ? A Tele is quite comfortable in both a standing and a sitting playing position whereas an ES-type might be a bit more awkward in your lap. I play all of my guitars with a strap. Just sayin' .....
    I have a hollowbody Ibanez AFJ85 and play sitting down. The Ibanez feels good in my lap but would the Tele?

On the other hand since I have an Ibanez already a Tele might be something nice and different though not very original.

User Info Menu

Warm, round and full.

I like Tim Lerch's sound but he plays nocasters through expensive fender amps.

I'm still working on getting my own sound.

Who is this Scofeld guy that you are on about

Edit: when I saw your name I thought that you'd immediately say Tele
    In the US, the Custom Shop Nocaster pickup set is under $200

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

+1

Do you want a more traditional/rounder sound? Then the AFJ85 it is. If you want to sound more like Schofield, or Eric Krasno, then the AS93 is your thing. As for Teles - well many players from Tim Lerch, to Mike Stern, to Julian Lage, to Bill Frisell (in recent times) play them. They still can sound very warm, but a little punchier (unless you have a light touch) IMO. All are good sounds, but come down to a matter of preference. My Fender Britt Daniel Telecaster Thinline, sounds wonderful for jazzy stuff, but I will admit, that it may end up being my second choice, once my Eastman AR380CE Pisano is done being refretted, due to me historically having favored hollow bodies, and semi-hollowbodies, due to my preference for rounder tones, and liking larger bodied guitars (the bodies are a nice and comfortable place for me to rest my right arm). I've played guitar for almost 43 years, and most of that time (especially live) I've played hollow and semi-hollow guitars. But hey, that's just me!
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 11-20-2021 at 10:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Well it's between the Player and the Ibanez.

I did that thing where you think of an important decision when you go to sleep and the answer should be there when you wake up...... unfortunately I'm none the wiser.

I'm leaning towards ordering the Player without a case. If I don't like it I can sell it and get the Ibanez. If I do like it I can keep it and buy a case for it.

What a lovely problem to have. I am so grateful
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 11-20-2021 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Get the chipped one. It gives you a great basis platform dirt cheap and you won’t get upset if it gets dinged. Even if you never reach the sound in your head- the journey and learnings on the way will still be cheaper in the long run.

But consider as well ergonomics. Without knowing you- no point in basing your musicality on cost at the expense of being unable to play comfortably.

m

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The vibe I'm getting from you is the Ibanez
    That's because I've subliminally influenced you by playing my Ibanez in my other videos

I'm actually leaning towards the player atm but that can easily change

User Info Menu

I would go for the Telecaster player all day.
    My advices is based on:
    1. Your already have a more jazzy axe (Ibanez AFJ85)
    2. The tele will broaden your sound and versatility of playing
    3. The tele is the most sturdy electric guitar ever and that sweet spot in the middle position switch with the volume and tone around 6 or 7 is glorious.

Finally, I have a tele (clearly) and I love it. My second guitar is a more traditional jazz machine (D'Angelico ss). I dont have more guitars and I think a pair of guitars like that is a killing combo.
    Peace and good luck with the decision.

User Info Menu

Well I pulled the trigger and got the Player Telecaster on the basis that I already have a hollowbody so the Tele will be a completely different sound.

I'll be upgrading the saddles and pick ups in due course.

Thank you to all that responded above. It's appreciated.

User Info Menu

Well I pulled the trigger and got the Player Telecaster on the basis that I already have a hollowbody so the Tele will be a completely different sound.

I'll be upgrading the saddles and pick ups in due course.

Thank you to all that responded above. It's appreciated.
    I have a mexican standard tele and the first upgrade I did was saddles (actually the whole bridge) and the nut. That already made a substantial change in the sound of the guitar...
    The mexican standard came with ceramic pickups (not bad... but not really what I like) So in that case upgrading pickups made another step ahead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wolf
    I have a mexican standard tele and the first upgrade I did was saddles (actually the whole bridge) and the nut. That already made a substantial change in the sound of the guitar...
    The mexican standard came with ceramic pickups (not bad... but not really what I like) So in that case upgrading pickups made another step ahead.
    I'll be putting in Lollar CC's