The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 73
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    In what year did Ibanez move the production to the Terada plant ?
    F = FujiGen Gakki in Nagano (1987–1996).
    I = Iida Gakki in Nagoya (1988–1992).
    H or T = Terada Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. in Nagoya (1988–1996).

Of course internet experts state that the Fujijen ones are better ...

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper

DB
    Thanks for the info.

I own a 1979 GB10 with a serial number starting with "G79". Any idea what plant it was made in?

User Info Menu

DB
    The experts, but of course ….
    of the 4 specimen I have owned (1 late 70‘s, 2 mid/late 80‘s and my current 2007) I wouldn‘t be able to single one out that was „better“ - the quality control at Ibanez/Japan is second to none .

User Info Menu

Back in those days to alphabetical character at the beginning of the serial number what is the month do guitars made so G would be seven or July

here’s the back of the head stock on my 79 GB 10 and you can see it has a D which means it would be April

Can the Ibanez GB10 thunk?-99240b2f-1df6-463f-8dfe-4ae37ce5534f-jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Thanks for the info.

I own a 1979 GB10 with a serial number starting with "G79". Any idea what plant it was made in?

Last edited by Crm114; 11-16-2021 at 08:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Is there any difference between the Fujijen and the later Terada made models?

DB
    The GB10's are all made in the Japanese Fujigen facilities as is the premier line. The exception being the GB10JS a really fine instrument made in Korea to the exact specs but with rosewood fittings and different tuning machines. These instruments tended to be more resonant and acoustic in character in all the examples I've ever come across. I have one and a GB10 and I prefer the Korean counterpart myself but that's STRICTLY personal taste.
    The other exceptions are the GB10SE and the GB10EM. Former is a Chinese or Indonesian origin, the latter is very much an economy model.
    Ibanez does this thing where their flagship guitars have the highest build quality on par with anything else available at the high end market. They then have any number of similarly spec'd guitars with different names and more importantly, built in different Asian factories. The look the same but they can be VERY different. I worked for Ibanez and I was familiar with EVERY guitar in their line up. For instance there were Indonesian RG's that looked like the namesakes costing 2 grand but the ones from that Indonesian run had wood that was so soft, they couldn't hold a wood screw's thread. Yeah, it's not widely known but there is no Ibanez factory in reality and what you get depends on the factory it was made in, which might even change in the middle of a year without any change in the name or code number.
    So it's all to say as far as the GB10 we're talking about here, the ones I would go with are the Japanese (Fujigen) or if you can find one, a long ago discontinued Korean.
    That's just me. I know somebody's going to say "I LOVE my Indonesian SE" but having worked for Hoshino, seen what comes back, seen their history over the years, the highest praises go to the Fujigen GB10 and IMHO they're the ones to save your pennies for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    In what year did Ibanez move the production to the Terada plant ?
    I worked for Hoshino (Ibanez) and during the whole time I was there, the GB10 was always a Fujigen produced instrument.
    But who knows? There are no doubt people out there who know better than me. I was just the guy that worked there.
    I would check adjust and set up George Benson's 'perq' guitars of which he was entitled to a bunch every year. I knew all the ones that went to him were from Fujigen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    The GB10's are all made in the Japanese Fujigen facilities as is the premier line. The exception being the GB10JS a really fine instrument made in Korea to the exact specs but with rosewood fittings and different tuning machines. These instruments tended to be more resonant and acoustic in character in all the examples I've ever come across. I have one and a GB10 and I prefer the Korean counterpart myself but that's STRICTLY personal taste.
    The other exceptions are the GB10SE and the GB10EM. Former is a Chinese or Indonesian origin, the latter is very much an economy model.
    Ibanez does this thing where their flagship guitars have the highest build quality on par with anything else available at the high end market. They then have any number of similarly spec'd guitars with different names and more importantly, built in different Asian factories. The look the same but they can be VERY different. I worked for Ibanez and I was familiar with EVERY guitar in their line up. For instance there were Indonesian RG's that looked like the namesakes costing 2 grand but the ones from that Indonesian run had wood that was so soft, they couldn't hold a wood screw's thread. Yeah, it's not widely known but there is no Ibanez factory in reality and what you get depends on the factory it was made in, which might even change in the middle of a year without any change in the name or code number.
    So it's all to say as far as the GB10 we're talking about here, the ones I would go with are the Japanese (Fujigen) or if you can find one, a long ago discontinued Korean.
    That's just me. I know somebody's going to say "I LOVE my Indonesian SE" but having worked for Hoshino, seen what comes back, seen their history over the years, the highest praises go to the Fujigen GB10 and IMHO they're the ones to save your pennies for.
    Very interesting, thanks. What's your sense of the GB40thII? Is it just a GB10se with different cosmetics, or is there more to it? [A friend of mine has one, and he sounds great with it. FWIW, he replaced the pickups with Lollar Johnny Smith's, and the difference is noticeable.]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Very interesting, thanks. What's your sense of the GB40thII?.]
    A very special instrument. Very limited production I believe. Solid pressed spruce top. Yeah a different beast when it comes to GB's. As to the Thunk factour, the spruce imparts a more even melodic decay, and kind of the other end of the spectrum to the THUNK that is in question on this thread. They've got more complexity to their sound, definitely worthy of a tailored pickup if you're going to keep it, and like other solid instruments, those guitars WILL change over time. They are not meant to be collected and hung up on a wall without a good amount of playing. Solid spruce tops give more over time when you play them. They are true working investments, their musical value increases with the work you put in.

User Info Menu

I bought one of the GB 40thIIs when they came out and this year I wanted to gift it to a friend of mine in California a reggae cat I know Tuff Lion, But before I did I located a set of original GB 10 pick ups and I had Steve Cowles install them and a new wiring harness in it and then ship it off the upgrade was worth the money and trouble. The basic build on the guitar is attractive but with a lot of the Chinese made Ibanez models the electronics is always lacking it was well worth the trouble.

And I do oen the more plush GB 40 which is a very nice instrument indeed, signed by GB.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Very interesting, thanks. What's your sense of the GB40thII? Is it just a GB10se with different cosmetics, or is there more to it? [A friend of mine has one, and he sounds great with it. FWIW, he replaced the pickups with Lollar Johnny Smith's, and the difference is noticeable.]

User Info Menu

Just in case you miss this elsewhere, you can hear the thunk quality of the AF2000 here and there in my latest video. Thunk enough? Too thunky? Good balance between thunk and no thunk?

User Info Menu

I'm not, but I love hearing it done well. I might try it out for a while.

User Info Menu

I had a MIJ GB10 and thought it too bright. But my real issue was body size. I never could get comfy. Im long backed so those smaller bodies and I dont couple well. Even with the strap. A vanilla chocolate thing.

2014 Thunker

Can the Ibanez GB10 thunk?-d62d3317-308e-4bcb-a10f-66b426112f58-jpg

User Info Menu

it doesnt thunk but it does funk extremly well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note;[URL="tel:1158576"
    1158576[/URL]]The GB10's are all made in the Japanese Fujigen facilities as is the premier line. The exception being the GB10JS a really fine instrument made in Korea to the exact specs but with rosewood fittings and different tuning machines. These instruments tended to be more resonant and acoustic in character in all the examples I've ever come across. I have one and a GB10 and I prefer the Korean counterpart myself but that's STRICTLY personal taste.
    i just read yesterday that one guy played both back to back and actually prefered the chinese version than the japanese one and that there is only the smallest of the smallest difference that is def not worth paying $2000 more for

User Info Menu

GB10's were never designed for 'thunk'. Benson wanted the look and feel of a downsized Johnny Smith, but with a more focused sound and a box that resisted feedback at stage volume. I think he and Ibanez created a great instrument for live jazz performing. Yes, it is a little bright, but that's what tone controls are for.

User Info Menu

Precisely !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    GB10's were never designed for 'thunk'. Benson wanted the look and feel of a downsized Johnny Smith, but with a more focused sound and a box that resisted feedback at stage volume. I think he and Ibanez created a great instrument for live jazz performing. Yes, it is a little bright, but that's what tone controls are for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxiim
    i just read yesterday that one guy played both back to back and actually prefered the chinese version than the japanese one and that there is only the smallest of the smallest difference that is def not worth paying $2000 more for
    Well, I guess "that one guy" has solved all our dilemmas for us. Thank god we have such a definitive expert available. Sad for me that I bought my made-in-Japan GB10 back in 1986 when it was 5 years old. I'm so bummed.

But at least I have a made-in-China Squier Affinity Tele and didn't fall for buying one made in the US or Mexico!

User Info Menu

lol Cunamara,
    yeah I should’ve listen to “that one guy” and not bought all those GB10s and the GB 15 and the GB20 the GB 12 and the GB 100 and the GB5s and the GB 200 and the GBY2K and the GB40 oh if only I listened to “that one guy”…

BigMike

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well, I guess "that one guy" has solved all our dilemmas for us. Thank god we have such a definitive expert available. Sad for me that I bought my made-in-Japan GB10 back in 1986 when it was 5 years old. I'm so bummed.

But at least I have a made-in-China Squier Affinity Tele and didn't fall for buying one made in the US or Mexico!

User Info Menu

thats gotta be the saddest flex i have ever seen on the internet coming from yall two

Dutchbopper Guest
    Bummer. I had my eyes on a blonde 1990 GB 10 and the guy reserved it for me (at least I thought that) for 1200 euros. I could not pick it up this week so he sold it under my nose to some other guy that could.

DB

User Info Menu

Don't worry, it takes some getting used to a new guitar and that takes some time.
    Yesterday I had a similar situation.I was able to buy a luthier arch-top guitar.
    It was a great opportunity but I was a little late.
    Besides, guitars have their hidden drawbacks that come out when you use them.
    Another thing that I feel a little sorry for.

User Info Menu

DB

Very sorry to hear that happened to you you’re a really great guy another one will come along perhaps a better deal

BigMike

Bummer. I had my eyes on a blonde 1990 GB 10 and the guy reserved it for me (at least I thought that) for 1200 euros. I could not pick it up this week so he sold it under my nose to some other guy that could.

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Ahhh shite ... That was a very good deal indeed Oh well ... Hopefully another one will dump in your lap soon enough
    I am comforting myself that I had preferred a sunburst one anyway ...

DB

User Info Menu

Happened to many of us I‘m sure - take it with a grain of salt and check out this song :

User Info Menu

Between my last GB10 and the newly arrived GB15 there‘s been a 22 year hiatus in which I‘ve been able to wise up a lot, learn a great deal, became a better musician and a more relaxed person - all this helped me to better appreciate a new+different instrument for what it is but I’m also better at making it do the things I want and to adjust my playing to it’s idiosyncracies. Thusly I came to dig my GB15 very much ! I might part with it down the line but not because I don‘t like it - if a situation arises that needs extra financing THIS is one guitar that I could let go, it’s an extra-extra.