The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Have been on the look out for one of these for some time.
    They aren't uncommon but they don't pop up on the used market that often. If you're passionate about Japanese made Ibanez, this will feature on your radar. If you're not into the GB10, or something more vintage, this is your best entry point and quite a step up from the Artcore range.

This Guitar comes from the JP-20 lineage and follows on from the earlier AF models fo the 90's. Having been a long time owner of an Ibanez AF-120 (cheaper Korean model), which sounds remarkably good, I am not disappointed in this guitars quality and tonal improvement.

The guitar feels fragile but not cheap, where as the Jp-20 and the Gb200 (all models based the same floor plan) feel quite stout.
    This lighter construction comes through in the ease of playing and delicacy of the sound. In a way, like you would get with thinner, vintage, ES Gibson's. I'm not saying it has a vintage sound because it's a new guitar but it has a thin, depth to it. If that makes sense?

I look forward to comparing it to my incoming Seventy Seven Hawk STD MIJ.

(p.s new camera set-up and poor lighting so having a little trouble).

Ibanez AF200-1-1-jpegIbanez AF200-1-2-jpegIbanez AF200-1-3-jpegIbanez AF200-1-4-jpegIbanez AF200-1-5-jpegIbanez AF200-1-6-jpegIbanez AF200-1-7-jpegIbanez AF200-1-8-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice! How is the neck compared to the Artcores?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    Nice! How is the neck compared to the Artcores?
    The neck is similar to Artcore necks (although I haven't tried all).
    I would say it's a typical fast Ibanez neck, reminiscent of their 90's style, apposed to the late 70's and early 80's ones.

User Info Menu

Thanks, probably too thin for my taste but that's what I was expecting more or less.

User Info Menu

lovely guitar , congrats !

My main ax is a narrow headstock
    af120 , played it for many
    years .... fairly happy with it

i sometimes wonder if I should trade
    up to a japanese made ibanez
    like your af200 or similar

(mainly because i tried a JP20 once and absolutely adored the neck
    but couldn’t afford it so didn’t get it)

I’d be interested in your opinion ,
    after the honeymoon period of course,
    as to wether it would be worth me going
    to a Japanese Ibanez too

thanks man

User Info Menu

Very nice...of course it is, it's an Ibanez!
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 11-11-2021 at 02:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Very nice Guitar.
    I played this model and liked it a lot but the the neck was too slim for me, but I m sure others like these slim and fast necks.

User Info Menu

Glad you like it, I absolutely love mine. I was hoping it would be as nice as my '78 FA-100, and it is definitely at the same level though different. The pickups sound great, and the neck feels great in my hand.

The only nitpick for me is that I like low action. Generally the action I prefer is pretty low, and on this guitar it actually equates with the bridge dropped down as low as it will go, which I find kind of odd. It doesn't bother me, but usually you can drop your action to the point the strings lay on the frets, completely unplayable, and the lowest you can set the action on mine is where I prefer to have it. It isn't an issue for me, just a curiosity.

I'd be interested to hear where you eventually put the strap pin, as this is my first guitar where the strap pin came in the case!
    Last edited by jim777; 11-16-2021 at 09:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    lovely guitar , congrats !

My main ax is a narrow headstock
    af120 , played it for many
    years .... fairly happy with it

i sometimes wonder if I should trade
    up to a japanese made ibanez
    like your af200 or similar

(mainly because i tried a JP20 once and absolutely adored the neck
    but couldn’t afford it so didn’t get it)

I’d be interested in your opinion ,
    after the honeymoon period of course,
    as to wether it would be worth me going
    to a Japanese Ibanez too

thanks man
    No need for the honeymoon to make my mind up. If you enjoy the Af-120 you will very much enjoy the AF200. It continues to please me. I'll put together a clip or two for you showing the difference between them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven;[URL="tel:1157407"
    1157407[/URL]]No need for the honeymoon to make my mind up. If you enjoy the Af-120 you will very much enjoy the AF200. It continues to please me. I'll put together a clip or two for you showing the difference between them.
    that would be great , thanks ....

User Info Menu

I had an AF-200 Prestige for awhile, and was very impressed with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez AF200-img_0436-jpg 

User Info Menu

Might fine-looking guitar! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven

The guitar feels fragile but not cheap, where as the Jp-20 and the Gb200 (all models based the same floor plan) feel quite stout.
    Is it lighter built than a GB200? How much does it weight?

User Info Menu

The AF200 Prestige is a nice guitar. I recently bought a used one as an upgrade from my LGB30 and I am not sure it is worth $1000 more. The necks play and feel about the same. The AF200 is brighter and has a “crispier” sound, perhaps due to the pressed solid spruce top vs. the laminated LGB30 top. I tried rolling off the treble on the AF200 and my amp, lowering the pickups and ordering heavier flat wound strings. (They both have flat wound 11s now.) Any thoughts on getting the best jazz tone from your AF200?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mccauleyma
    The AF200 Prestige is a nice guitar. I recently bought a used one as an upgrade from my LGB30 and I am not sure it is worth $1000 more. The necks play and feel about the same. The AF200 is brighter and has a “crispier” sound, perhaps due to the pressed solid spruce top vs. the laminated LGB30 top. I tried rolling off the treble on the AF200 and my amp, lowering the pickups and ordering heavier flat wound strings. (They both have flat wound 11s now.) Any thoughts on getting the best jazz tone from your AF200?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Is it lighter built than a GB200? How much does it weight?
    Yes much lighter than a GB. I'm on holiday at the moment but if you look up some stats online, you'll no doubt find the weight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mccauleyma
    I would imagine all Ibanez necks on these ranges are mush the same. Ibanez have hit on gold there so why change things?
    They all seem to have quite a full feeling in the hand whilst being incredibly fast.

11's by many 'jazz' players is still considered light, you might want to move up to 12's. On the other hand 12 flat wounds can be a bit bass heavy on slimmer archtops. I counter this by using half wound strings. The bass remains tighter whilst you still get the added warmth of not using round wounds.

You can also add heavier gauge treble strings, to take off some of the harshness you find yourself experiencing but that can also lead to the trebles being noticeably louder and you've then got have the other issue of the strings, having a somewhat uneven gauge progression. Many don't mind this but I personally don't like it.

You can buy gauges with heavier or lighter trebles strings or bass ones, these generally work better than mixing and matching your own but as I said, many people find success in making their own combinations.

Some guitars however will never be dark sounding and reposed in the way you want. A D'angelico or D'aquisto remakes from Japan will never have the soft, soggy sounds of an old L5 because they have been produced in a way, that makes them constantly bright with very quick attack. More like a Gitane than a L5.

Don't forget that many people don't like dark sounding or heavy sounding archtops. They want something light that cuts through the mix and Ibanez more than many, have pursued this type of sound since the early 80's. Think Benson, Metheny etc..
    It might be that the AF200 simply isn't for you, like many archtops aren't for me.
    Last edited by Archie; 11-27-2021 at 04:14 PM.