The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Has anyone here ever tried putting in a Charlie Christian pickup on a ES-350, or know of some well-known guitarist who did this?
    How did it sound?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ummmm? Check the Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow. And pretty much everything by Barney Kessel. But seriously, you would have known this already so why do you ask?

User Info Menu

Barney K as mentioned above. Bruce Forman just released a new album playing this guitar. So if you dig deep enough you can hear two great musicians playing the same style of music on the same guitar- through the same amp! This should give you a pretty good idea how the guitar/amp combo could sound different just by changing the musician.
    cheers
    m

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney played an ES150 with a CC pickup until somewhere in the 1960s, which is very similar. ES300 and ES150 are pretty much the same guitar with different trim levels (300 is fancier); ES 350 is the same as an ES300, but with a cutaway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Jimmy Raney played an ES150 with a CC pickup until somewhere in the 1960s, which is very similar. ES300 and ES150 are pretty much the same guitar with different trim levels (300 is fancier); ES 350 is the same as an ES300, but with a cutaway.
    Hmmm...I cannot agree. ES300 and prewar ES150 are completly different animals. 17"vs16", laminated vs. carved, these make a big difference in tone and feeling. I personaly own a '38 ES-150 and a '46 ES300 and they are much different. The iconic 350 equipped with CC was the one owned by Barkey Kessel.

Here is one played by Carmello Tartamella, a nice italian guitarist I met last summer. Great guy and great guitarist.

Best and take care.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 11-09-2021 at 05:59 PM.

There were two types of CC pickups. Tal used the notched CC pickup rather than the straight bar back in the 50s.
    I don't know which Barney and Bruce use.
    On gigs, Tal used a GA-30, I don't know the amps Barney and Bruce were/ are using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Hmmm...I cannot agree. ES300 and prewar ES150 are completly different animals. 17"vs16", laminated vs. carved, these make a big different in tone and feeling. I personaly own a '38 ES-150 and a '46 ES300 and they are much different.
    You're both right, in a sense. To John's credit, the ES-150 that Gibson made between 1946 and 1956 is identical to the 300 except for trim details, but that's a totally different guitar from the 1st version (1936-1940) that Jimmy Raney played.

Some additional trivia: Just as there was a solid and a plywood 150, there was also a solid spruce top ES-300 produced in the early 1940s. Barney Kessel played one on this Lester Young clip. Unfortunately Gibson never made one with a CC pickup, but that would have been a classic guitar. I played one of these at Retrofret once. I think it was a good guitar, but I couldn't tell because some deviant set it up with flatwounds which made it sound like plywood anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    You're both right, in a sense. To John's credit, the ES-150 that Gibson made between 1946 and 1956 is identical to the 300 except for trim details, but that's a totally different guitar from the 1st version (1936-1940) that Jimmy Raney played.

Some additional trivia: Just as there was a solid and a plywood 150, there was also a solid spruce top ES-300 produced in the early 1940s. Barney Kessel played one on this Lester Young clip. Unfortunately Gibson never made one with a CC pickup, but that would have been a classic guitar. I played one of these at Retrofret once. I think it was a good guitar, but I couldn't tell because some deviant set it up with flatwounds which made it sound like plywood anyway.

I thought Raney played the later laminated version. My bad. But at least I know Wes played a PRS ...

User Info Menu

I thought Raney played the later laminated version. My bad. But at least I know Wes played a PRS ...
    There is no more memorable tone than Wes' PRS into a Polytone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    There were two types of CC pickups. Tal used the notched CC pickup rather than the straight bar back in the 50s.
    I don't know which Barney and Bruce use.
    On gigs, Tal used a GA-30, I don't know the amps Barney and Bruce were/ are using.
    Barney used a GA-50 for a long time but I think he just used the house amp after that, usually a Twin

What's the difference in sound between the notched CC pickup and the straight bar CC Pickup?

User Info Menu

An attempt to balance the B string, otherwise the same as far as I can tell.

User Info Menu

I have played them both on vintage ES 150 guitars. They sounded the same to me. Superb.