The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hey jazzers,

I have a nice '40 L5N that I would like to equip with a floating PU. Now, an obvious choice would be a DeArmond Rhythm Chief or something close. I have a gold foil mustachio PU that would fit well but I have no background on how it could sound.I suspect lots of high ends, maybe too much?

Advice needed on Gold Foil PU for my Gibson L-5-mustachio-jpg

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks and regards.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 11-04-2021 at 03:40 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not a big fan of them in general, though there are many variations that sound differently. I much prefer an old DeArmond, do you have access to one to compare?
    (If that's Dave's old guitar it deserves the best )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm not a big fan of them in general, though there are many variations that sound differently. I much prefer an old DeArmond, do you have access to one to compare?
    (If that's Dave's old guitar it deserves the best )
    Thanks for your thoughts Winter. Yep, that’s Dave Barbour old axe

I’ve just had a nice pickguard installed, in the style of prewar S400. Fits very well. I need it electrified since there are concerts planed in 2022 where I will need it.

Best.

User Info Menu

Well looking at the pickup, it does have some gold foil, but that might just be ornamental. Judging by the adjustable screws in the middle, it's a P90 type of design and could sound similar to the DA 1100.

I suggest taping it in place under the strings and seeing what it sounds like, with the guitar laid flat. You just touch the two wires to a plugged-in guitar lead, with the inner wire to the tip of the plug ( obviously). It could be a hidden gem, although i doubt it will sound like a "gold foil" type.
    P90s types don't usually have too much high end.

Let us know..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    could sound similar to the DA 1100.
    Thanks Franz. That's what they told me when I bought it. I will try your system

User Info Menu

You could use mounting putty like Blu-Tack, and put it in place temporarily to hear what it sounds like. You can solder the connections or not. I would, as it's easily reversible if you have average soldering skills and equipment, but it's probably not strictly necessary.

User Info Menu

A pity to put a pickup on a guitar that's lived it's whole life as an acoustic.... But that's just me.
    <ducks as all the boppers throw tomatoes at me>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    A pity to put a pickup on a guitar that's lived it's whole life as an acoustic.... But that's just me.
    <ducks as all the boppers throw tomatoes at me>
    Thanks Jon. I must say that your comment has made me think twice. I already have prewar electric Gibsons (an ES-150 and a L50 converted into ES-150) and a Slaman/ES-250. So, do I really need to electrify this nice acoustic L5N? I've visited your webpage and decided that I will give a try to a DPA 4099/gooseneck system. Thanks for the tips

User Info Menu

Wise decision, Fred!
    You own a kind of historical monument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Thanks Jon. I must say that your comment has made me think twice. I already have prewar electric Gibsons (an ES-150 and a L50 converted into ES-150) and a Slaman/ES-250. So, do I really need to electrify this nice acoustic L5N? I've visited your webpage and decided that I will give a try to a DPA 4099/gooseneck system. Thanks for the tips
    I am in same situation with a 1953 Gibson L-7C. It's fun imagining the electric sound but the acoustic sound is magical, and I hear you on the history of this guitar being acoustic all its life. I am thinking of handcrafting a replacement pickguard that may someday work in place of existing one (also a repro). That way I can have some fun without modding anything. Bronze wound strings make this guitar sound incredible so I bet Thomastik Flats are not the way to go for it, but I will eventually give those a try. If they sound even better acoustically than bronze wounds I would not hesitate to consider one of the many great floating pickup options that work with flatwounds. Otherwise I'm imagining a Lollar goldfoil pickup with a little volume and tone control on my pickguard. Also fun to imagine some kind of acoustic condenser built into this crazy pickguard, all hidden. Blasphemously, there might be three little wooden pots on this pickguard if I ever make it. Or, like you all noted, just get a 4099 rig and be done with it. I like that idea too and it might be perfect for my upright bass and mando sounds. Hmmm.... Thanks, all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Hey jazzers, I have a nice '40 L5N that I would like to equip with a floating PU. Now, an obvious choice would be a DeArmond Rhythm Chief or something close. I have a gold foil mustachio PU that would fit well but I have no background on how it could sound.I suspect lots of high ends, maybe too much? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks and regards.
    Advice needed on Gold Foil PU for my Gibson L-5-mustachio-jpg
    The pickup you have IS a Dearmond, a Model 6811 / 6812 / 6813 (all essentially the same thing), without its bezel/pickup ring. Probably sounds great.