The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

If you were looking for something portable to gig with and didn't have to consider a budget, what would it be?

I've considered everything from the Carr Super Bee or Sportsman, Vintage Sound 15, 20, or 22sc, Bartel Sugarland, Henriksen, Raezers edge Luna....I'm lucky to be in a place in my life to afford one of these things but, obviously I'm lost and any guidance/direction would be much appreciated!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Without a Doubt Quilter Aviator x12” and x8” Combos!

User Info Menu

Henriksen Blu or Bud

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Without a Doubt Quilter Aviator x12” and x8” Combos!
    Thanks for reply. Would that be the Quilter Aviator Cub? It doesn't seem like they make an 8" combo anymore. Looks like they offer a 10", 12" or 15" now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iwearglasses
    If you were looking for something portable to gig with and didn't have to consider a budget, what would it be?

I've considered everything from the Carr Super Bee or Sportsman, Vintage Sound 15, 20, or 22sc, Bartel Sugarland, Henriksen, Raezers edge Luna....I'm lucky to be in a place in my life to afford one of these things but, obviously I'm lost and any guidance/direction would be much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Hey 'glasses,
    Those are all quite different amps!

When it comes to "buying a new amp," I would be curious about a number of factors for you: what is "portable?" what kind of gigs do you play? what sort of "sound/vibe" do you like? what is your current rig? any preference for combo vs head/cab? etc.

For example, when I have a rehearsal, I prefer "simple, light, and easy" for quick, in and out use. For a gig, however (and mine are mostly trio/quartet, although I had a big band gig the other month!), I use a "Rock-n-Roller" cart, which has carried my gear for 99% of gigs over the years, and I bring my preferred stuff, which is a tube head (20 lbs) and one or two cabs (weight depends on the cab). I live in a "driving" area, not a public transportation one, so I'm not concerned about space/weight, and I like the tube sound/feel. Sometimes, the light and easy also works for gigs -- i.e., Henrisksen Blu, Raezer's Edge head (with a light cab -- look at a Toob!), etc.

So again, "it depends ..."

Let us know what you decide!

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hey 'glasses,
    Those are all quite different amps!

When it comes to "buying a new amp," I would be curious about a number of factors for you: what is "portable?" what kind of gigs do you play? what sort of "sound/vibe" do you like? what is your current rig? any preference for combo vs head/cab? etc.

For example, when I have a rehearsal, I prefer "simple, light, and easy" for quick, in and out use. For a gig, however (and mine are mostly trio/quartet, although I had a big band gig the other month!), I use a "Rock-n-Roller" cart, which has carried my gear for 99% of gigs over the years, and I bring my preferred stuff, which is a tube head (20 lbs) and one or two cabs (weight depends on the cab). I live in a "driving" area, not a public transportation one, so I'm not concerned about space/weight, and I like the tube sound/feel. Sometimes, the light and easy also works for gigs -- i.e., Henrisksen Blu, Raezer's Edge head (with a light cab -- look at a Toob!), etc.

So again, "it depends ..."

Let us know what you decide!

Marc
    Hey Marc, good points! I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I play a variety of different styles and have several different rigs for the various groups I play in. I have a 1966 Fender Tremolux with the original piggyback cab that I use for gigs where I need a lot of volume mainly for the funk band I play in, a Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 for the singer/songwriter/Americana stuff (and sometimes church), and a Polytone Mega brute for the jazz stuff. The Polytone is a great sound and is loud enough for what I do but kind of a one trick pony and looking for something as portable as that but maybe a bit more flexible? I live in a "driving" area too so it doesn't have to fit in a backpack or duffel bag.

I also play in an ensemble of electric guitars that play everything from arrangements of Shostakovich to microtonal, Gamelan inspired compositions - I've used the Polytone for that gig as well but would like something a bit more flexible. I've also used a Superchamp XD, PRRI, and DRRI in rehearsals which were both ok although, a bit stiff in my opinion. Possibly because we keep things pretty low volume? Swart AST Jr. didn't have enough headroom but was nice. I guess I'm leaning toward the Fender sound but a bit more forgiving? My main guitar is a Seventy Seven Exrubato with Throbak's.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Sounds like Quilter to me. I like ToneBlock 202. I use it in a BlockDock10 for small and portable. I also have a BD12 for a different vibe.

The Aviator Cub looks great, as does the new Mach3. A lot to figure out on just that one site.

User Info Menu

I've heard the Bud, AER Compact 60 and Little Jazz, all sound good. I haven't heard the Blu.

I've heard a couple of Quilters that sound good, but I don't know the model numbers.

A friend sounds great with a small Victoria tube amp.

User Info Menu

My current main gigging amps:
    Quilter Aviator Twin Ten - for when I need stacks of headroom and power. Quilter don't make these any more.
    Fender Tonemaster Deluxe - more than powerful enough for most gigs and extremely light. Classic Fender sound.
    DV Mark Little Jazz - small gigs/rehearsals - has a big warm sound despite its diminutive size and is surprisingly loud.
    DV Mark Micro 60 Jazz head - I use this one with a 15" JBL D-130 speaker. Very warm and rich sounding - think Johnny Smith.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz;[URL="tel:1156107"
    1156107[/URL]]My current main gigging amps:
    Quilter Aviator Twin Ten - for when I need stacks of headroom and power. Quilter don't make these any more.
    Fender Tonemaster Deluxe - more than powerful enough for most gigs and extremely light. Classic Fender sound.
    DV Mark Little Jazz - small gigs/rehearsals - has a big warm sound despite its diminutive size and is surprisingly loud.
    DV Mark Micro 60 Jazz head - I use this one with a 15" JBL D-130 speaker. Very warm and rich sounding - think Johnny Smith.
    looks like you got it covered !

Favorite "gig worthy" amp-e29921ee-6d10-4aa7-bc92-29b082c3c226-jpeg

User Info Menu

I have both an Evans RE200 (200 watts into an Eminence 10") and a Quilter 101R with an Ear Candy Mr. Watts clone cabinet (8" Eminence). I like and have gigged with both and think I like both equally well although they're different animals. Both have acceptable reverb but I usually put an Earthquake Systems Dispatch Master in the effects loop because I like a little delay for 'Chet' stuff. If I really, really, really had to choose, I'd probably keep the Evans because I have a good relationship with the builder. The Evans weighs about 27 pounds and the Quilter almost nothing. Both good amps.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I haven't tried a TM Super Reverb yet but would love to, it's 36 pounds which is less than half of either of my current 2 combos (both tubes with EVM12's).

User Info Menu

Quilter MicroPro 8 Mach 2 is it for me

User Info Menu

I have a Little Jazz, and I like it a lot. I've heard the RE Luna, and I have a bad case of GAS for it. The only real reason I haven't bought one is because I already have the Little Jazz, and can't seem to justify paying for another amp. I also have a silverface Vibrolux Reverb, an AI Clarus, and a GK MB200, with a RE Stealth10ER, and I turn them on now and then, but mostly I just play through the Little Jazz, because it gives a sound I like, and it gets louder than my ears can stand. I'm not everyone, though, and some people don't like the LJ at all. I probably don't like the amps they prefer. It's entirely subjective, and all I can tell you is what I like, which you might not like at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    I should be that well-dressed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I also have a silverface Vibrolux Reverb, an AI Clarus, and a GK MB200, with a RE Stealth10ER, and I turn them on now and then, but mostly I just play through the Little Jazz, because it gives a sound I like, and it gets louder than my ears can stand. I'm not everyone, though, and some people don't like the LJ at all. I probably don't like the amps they prefer. It's entirely subjective, and all I can tell you is what I like, which you might not like at all.
    ………until you accidentally discover (as you, I, and many others have done) that at least 51% of your tone is in your chops and you can make many decent amps sound great just by being you. I’ve made reference in other threads to the fact that we have a diverse backline at my regular club gig. Sitting behind me are a Vibrolux, a DV Jazz 12, a Blues Deluxe, a Peavey (Trans Tube Bandit, I think - I don’t use it), a recent CS PR, and a modded Blues Junior that belongs to our vocalist / second guitarist. In the years since we got the Little Jazz, not one of the touring acts who come through on Fridays & Saturdays has ever used the J12 for guitar……..until last Saturday night.

A good blues band was there, and for some reason the guitar player decided there was something wrong with the Vibrolux in the middle of a tune (there was not). So in desperation, he moved his cable to the J12, which was sitting right next to the VL - and he loved it! So he stayed with it and raved about how cool it was, after slamming it without trying it when he first arrived.

I’ve also used my Little Jazz on every gig away from the club since I got it. I’d love to try a Bud, but I see no need for yet another amp and the LJ cost $300 brand new. It defines “gig worthy” for me in a combo amp.

User Info Menu

Certainly, I could use any of the amps I have and make the same music, or at least noise, depending on one's perspective. But all the other amps lack something, or have other issues. Too big and heavy, or just not the tone I like. As I said, it's mostly subjective, although the weight and size are entirely objective. Currently, the LJ is my favorite, although I cannot promise that it will always be. There is always new stuff becoming available.

User Info Menu

Hey Marc, good points! I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I play a variety of different styles and have several different rigs for the various groups I play in. I have a 1966 Fender Tremolux with the original piggyback cab that I use for gigs where I need a lot of volume mainly for the funk band I play in, a Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 for the singer/songwriter/Americana stuff (and sometimes church), and a Polytone Mega brute for the jazz stuff. The Polytone is a great sound and is loud enough for what I do but kind of a one trick pony and looking for something as portable as that but maybe a bit more flexible? I live in a "driving" area too so it doesn't have to fit in a backpack or duffel bag.

I also play in an ensemble of electric guitars that play everything from arrangements of Shostakovich to microtonal, Gamelan inspired compositions - I've used the Polytone for that gig as well but would like something a bit more flexible. I've also used a Superchamp XD, PRRI, and DRRI in rehearsals which were both ok although, a bit stiff in my opinion. Possibly because we keep things pretty low volume? Swart AST Jr. didn't have enough headroom but was nice. I guess I'm leaning toward the Fender sound but a bit more forgiving? My main guitar is a Seventy Seven Exrubato with Throbak's.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Something of similar volume/headroom and size to a PR or DR, but more flexible in terms of tone-shaping, and non-cheap-o? Maybe, one of the smaller Mesa Boogies? For current production, I haven't tried one, but have heard good things about the Fillmore 25. In older models, I like the Subway Blues, Subway Rocket, or Studio 22 Caliber. I'd also recommend trying a bunch of Princeton Reverbs, especially real Blackface and Silverface ones rather than the reissues. A tweed Deluxe or clone thereof might be worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Thanks for reply. Would that be the Quilter Aviator Cub? It doesn't seem like they make an 8" combo anymore. Looks like they offer a 10", 12" or 15" now.
    Mach 2 Combo 8 Quilter Labs

User Info Menu

I run a Quilter Toneblock 202 into a Yamaha 1x12 cab at home but I gig with a Quilter Micropro Mach 2. It checks all the boxes for me.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately they no longer make the Aviator Series. So I guess the either the TB202 or new Mach3 and a single 12 High Power speaker in a Block Dock format would be the way too go!

The Quilters always deliver a great Clean Tone every time no matter the situation or poor electricity available. Pedals cover the rest for me.. And lighter weight is a plus!

Ive owned way too many Amplifiers, including a Dumble, Boogies, Marshall’s, Fenders, on and on. The Quilter still gets my vote!

Wow, thanks for all the great replies everyone. Sounds like most who have chimed in are fans of Quilters. I've owned a 101 reverb with a 1x12 dock block but it just didn't do it for me. The only solid state amp I've ever really got along with was my Polytone - maybe because it sounds/responds like a solid state amp and its not a solid state trying to emulate a tube amp?

User Info Menu

If you’re not into Quilter, from what I’ve read, the Tone Master Twin Reverb would make a lightweight (if not physically small) gigging amp that at least would get you pretty close to the headroom and tone of the traditional tube-based Twin sound, plus have some nice direct output options for recording or going direct into a mixing board.