The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 52

User Info Menu

If you like Polytones, the Little Jazz comes about as close as anything I've heard. The other DV Mark jazz amps may be as good or better, but I haven't actually heard them in person.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iwearglasses
    Wow, thanks for all the great replies everyone. Sounds like most who have chimed in are fans of Quilters. I've owned a 101 reverb with a 1x12 dock block but it just didn't do it for me. The only solid state amp I've ever really got along with was my Polytone - maybe because it sounds/responds like a solid state amp and its not a solid state trying to emulate a tube amp?
    Trying not to be a fanboy or anything, but it might be time to give Quilter another look. Things have changed some.

EG: Many found the 101 troublesome. Some described it as 'nasally'. Mr. Soloway had a similar take as I remember. Check this out: A belated NAD - The Quilter Superblock USA and be sure to at least jump to the end.

I myself had a Aviator 8. I couldn't quite get with it. I needed a Para EQ in the effects loop to get happy. I heard the TB202 was different, and it is. They're doing something different with their tone controls now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If you like Polytones, the Little Jazz comes about as close as anything I've heard. The other DV Mark jazz amps may be as good or better, but I haven't actually heard them in person.
    I'm very happy with the LJ. Perhaps oddly, I never cared for Polytones. That might have been because I didn't have outboard reverb.

Even more oddly, just before I got the LJ, my usual amp for band rehearsals was a vintage Ampeg Reverberocket, 1964 version, which I bought new when I was 14. The LJ didn't sound all that different, on single notes, from the Ampeg (adding some reverb in front with my pedalboard). For chords, I preferred the LJ and the Ampeg is now in the closet. That's quite a compliment to the LJ because for decades i thought that Ampeg was one of the best amps I'd heard.

User Info Menu

I have a DV Mark Jazz 12. It’s a bit warmer than the LJ, and I A/B’d them before buying. If you like Polytone, I think the DV Jazz series will suit you. Note: the reverb, especially at higher settings, is more like a chorus pedal. I happen to like that sound, but not everyone does.

Stumbled upon this video comparing a Quilter 202, AI Clarus, RE Luna, and WW, for those of you interested

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Sounds like Quilter to me. I like ToneBlock 202. I use it in a BlockDock10 for small and portable. I also have a BD12 for a different vibe.

The Aviator Cub looks great, as does the new Mach3. A lot to figure out on just that one site.
    Oh no, Mach 3??? I just upgraded to Mach 2!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Oh no, Mach 3??? I just upgraded to Mach 2!
    The new one is 343 m/s faster!

User Info Menu

If you were looking for something portable to gig with and didn't have to consider a budget, what would it be?

I've considered everything from the Carr Super Bee or Sportsman, Vintage Sound 15, 20, or 22sc, Bartel Sugarland, Henriksen, Raezers edge Luna....I'm lucky to be in a place in my life to afford one of these things but, obviously I'm lost and any guidance/direction would be much appreciated!
    I have a Carr Sportsman and gig with it. I absolutely love it. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it, but it stopped by tube amp search (...............for now).

User Info Menu

Yea... some great suggestions. I have used an ARE compact 60 for the last few years. They're around 1K and are very light 18lbs and can get loud enough for most gigs. Has outs for big venues. I've been adding a powered 10' PA speaker
    during the covid outdoor gig scene. Just for more presence.

They are more of if you like the sound of your guitar and pickup, I do. I use bartolini pickups and generally rewire all my working guitars... the ground thing.

( have to admit... I also have way to many amps).

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    I have a Carr Sportsman and gig with it. I absolutely love it. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it, but it stopped by tube amp search (...............for now).
    Thanks for the reply. The Sportsman has intrigued me the most out of the Carr line. How “clean” is the amp? Some super clean tube amps just feel too stiff and are not very inspiring. I like setting tube amps on the verge of breakup then backing off a tiny bit.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. The Sportsman has intrigued me the most out of the Carr line. How “clean” is the amp? Some super clean tube amps just feel too stiff and are not very inspiring. I like setting tube amps on the verge of breakup then backing off a tiny bit.
    Definitely would not put it in the super clean category, its very warm and round. With the volume and head room knob you can really dial in some nice edge of breakup sounds.

If you go to the guitar shop Sound Pure's youtube they have a lot of videos where they use the Sportsman with archtops:

Last edited by Paulie2; 11-05-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Definitely would not put it in the super clean category, its very warm and round. With the volume and head room knob you can really dial in some nice edge of breakup sounds.

If you go to the guitar shop Sound Pure's youtube they have a lot of videos where they use the Sportsman with archtops:

Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg;[URL="tel:1156368"
    1156368[/URL]]Yea... some great suggestions. I have used an ARE compact 60 for the last few years. They're around 1K and are very light 18lbs and can get loud enough for most gigs. Has outs for big venues. I've been adding a powered 10' PA speaker
    during the covid outdoor gig scene. Just for more presence.

They are more of if you like the sound of your guitar and pickup, I do. I use bartolini pickups and generally rewire all my working guitars... the ground thing.

( have to admit... I also have way to many amps).
    I very much dig your music Reg ....

thats interesting , I’ve recently gone back
    to using my Comp 60 ....
    (it got all the inputs and outputs you
    could need on gigs need built right in)

what (pedal ?) if any do you use
    for a bit of dirt Reg ?

(or aren’t you a dirty guitar player ? !)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I very much dig your music Reg ....

thats interesting , I’ve recently gone back
    to using my Comp 60 ....
    (it got all the inputs and outputs you
    could need on gigs need built right in)

what (pedal ?) if any do you use
    for a bit of dirt Reg ?

(or aren’t you a dirty guitar player ? !)
    LOL... I'm very dirty and extremely greasy. With jazz gigs, don't use much. I do have a PreSonus Tubeprev2 velcroed on top of my Comp 60 and depending on location of gig... use as needed.

I use a Godin a-6 ultra with added master volumn knob for funky, or blues louder gigs and in studios when needed. It's like a tele on steroids. I'll use chorus etc...

User Info Menu

For me it's this guy, the little Princeton on the right. A love affair... that i can carry everywhere!

Favorite "gig worthy" amp-20211104_135206-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    For me it's this guy, the little Princeton on the right. A love affair... that i can carry everywhere!

Non-Reverb Princetons are special little beasts. Very sweet tones, especially with an efficient speaker.
    Yours looks similar to my '68.

User Info Menu

That is a nice studio btw...

User Info Menu

Yes it is! It's one of the few remaining big and old studios in Greece (that's the main room), that used to record a lot of music for films etc.. We did record an album of my music last week, hopefully it will come out in a few months!

The Princeton is a Princeton reverb model, 1968 transformers and chassis into a 1970 silverface cabinet. Swapped speaker for a louder sound. Great amp for gigging!

User Info Menu

Yes it is! It's one of the few remaining big and old studios in Greece (that's the main room), that used to record a lot of music for films etc.. We did record an album of my music last week, hopefully it will come out in a few months!

The Princeton is a Princeton reverb model, 1968 transformers and chassis into a 1970 silverface cabinet. Swapped speaker for a louder sound. Great amp for gigging!
    That's a huge monitoring system for a main recording room! I guess the composers wanted to hear it back like it would sound in a theatre!

User Info Menu

Hearing Reg live gave me one of those experiences where I seriously considered getting the exact same gear.

I've gone down the rabbit hole a few times only to discover, and re-discover, that a lot of it is in the player, not the equipment.

If you want to be certain that you're the problem and it's not your gear, you'd know for sure if you didn't sound good with what Reg is using <g>.

For context: I've felt that way about Jim Hall, Wes, Santana, Mark Knopfler and my friend Nick. There was another guy I heard once with a Fender D'Aquisto through a Fender Twin. I should probably add Jack Wilkins to this list, because I did buy the same guitar I heard him use. Jack, btw, used the same AER Compact 60 that Reg uses.

Update:

Got sidetracked with IRL stuff but after trying out a handful of amps I finally ended up with a Carr Sportsman 1x12. A bit heavier than I anticipated but it sounds so good I’m willing to deal with lugging it around

I appreciate all the help everyone!

Carr Sportsman Green | The Music Emporium

User Info Menu

Update:

Got sidetracked with IRL stuff but after trying out a handful of amps I finally ended up with a Carr Sportsman 1x12. A bit heavier than I anticipated but it sounds so good I’m willing to deal with lugging it around

I appreciate all the help everyone!

Carr Sportsman Green | The Music Emporium
    Great choice! I have had mine over a year now, no issues and zero regrets!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've gone down the rabbit hole a few times only to discover, and re-discover, that a lot of it is in the player, not the equipment.
    I wrote a blues tune about that many years ago called "It Ain't What You Play". The chorus is the message:

I was up on stage in a seedy old bar
    Tryin' to coax another blues from my old guitar.
    When a guy runs up, says "You can't do that! -
    You can only play Buddy on a fifties Strat!"
    I picked up my head, stared him staight in the eye,
    Said "You can't find your voice if you never try."

It ain't what you play, it's how you play it.
    You know it ain't what you say, it's how you say it.
    You won't get far being someone else.
    If you wanna succeed, ya gotta be yourself.

etc etc etc

Here's a quick clip I recorded with my phone. Bedroom volume as I'm at the office Playing my Seventy Seven Exrubato STD with ThroBak SLE-101 Plus pickups.

User Info Menu

Nice!!