The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello again,

As part of improving the tone for Peavey Delta Blues 210, I looked it up and found actually changing the speakers make a big difference. The current speakers (Blue Marvel) are ok for mid-range but doesn't have whole lot of clarity and smoothness in upper mids and high frequencies (as high as it can get which is not much).
    I found two options so far. I like to not spend more than 250 dollars for a pair by the way which naturally is limiting my choices.

One is Jensen MOD 10-50 and the other is Eminence Lil Buddy. Eminence ends up being about 70 Canadian dollars more spending (220 as opposed to 150) including tax and shipping. Has anyone tried MOD 10-50 for jazz and if you have compared with Lil Buddy and if you let me know what you think about them? Is it worth it to spend 70 dollars more for Lil Buddy? Any other 10 inch speaker in this price range that works well for jazz (smooth highs and transparent)?

Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jensen N10/100TR, i.e. 10", 100W Tornado is a great jazz speaker. As a bonus, you get the weight saving as it's Neo. I'm using it on my Toob 10S cabs, which a couple of respected Forum members have obtained lately. The price for a pair may exceed your budget but not by a lot - worth checking.

User Info Menu

Where are you located?
    Which do you need to work properly in the Peavey:
    -2 x 16 ohm speakers for an 8 ohm load;
    -2 x 8 ohm speakers for a 4 ohm load?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Where are you located?
    Which do you need to work properly in the Peavey:
    -2 x 16 ohm speakers for an 8 ohm load;
    -2 x 8 ohm speakers for a 4 ohm load?
    Canada Calgary
    2x8 ohm speakers in series, i.e. 16 ohm from the power block.

User Info Menu

I would suggest looking at WGS speakers. Several options there, I prefer them to modern Jensen by a bit, and Em by far.

User Info Menu

+1 for the Jensen Neo Tornado 10. The weight factor is double important if You change two speakers!

WGS is also a good option. I would choose G10C/S.

And one can’t forget the Webers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arya44
    Canada Calgary
    2x8 ohm speakers in series, i.e. 16 ohm from the power block.
    A bit far from Toronto - not worth the shipping, IMO. I recommend buying used speakers locally in the Calgary area - plenty of gearheads constantly trying out speakers and selling off extras.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Now I know next time I need to buy a good speaker especially for jazz with smooth sound and clarity, what to get. Although I sold that Peavey Delta Blues 210 and decided to go with the route of solid state amp. I have a 1x12 closed cabinet, and also I have a 12" Cannabis Rex speaker that seem to be used by the jazz guitar players. What head do you think works well with that setup? I have the option of buying a used Quilter Mini 101 and later budget for a reverb pedal, or with a bit more money buy a used DV Mark 50 Micro (first generation) that comes with reverb (around 350 Canadian dollars), or with more money (around 480 Canadian dollars) buy a new DV Mark 50 Jazz head. What do you think? Does extra 130 dollars for DV Mark 50 Jazz is justifiable compared to DV Mark 50 Micro? I know for the 2nd generation they removed XLR out and added effect loop. The send can still be used for recording directly to the sound board though. Thank you.