The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Loving your well-spoken comments "nshsi"! They do take me back a bit.
    And then there were those BF Bassmans. With the right speakers, they were excellent.
    But now, a BF PR with the right speaker, and a Rivera era PR II with a great speaker are all I really need.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    I wasn't that smart! I sold a '59 tweed Bassman (beat but sweet!), a '60 tweed Bassman (mint!), a '59 tweed Super (mint!), tweed Deluxe, tweed Champ, '64 AC30, '64 Vibroverb, '66 BF Super Reverb, etc.

And that doesn't include the guitars! VIntage L5's, L4C, ES345- you get the picture!

But luckily for me the BFDR was my main working amp in my '20's and '30's, and after that my main recording amp, so it stayed.
    Ouch! I’ve sold stuff I shouldn’t have, but it isn’t as long a list as that.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    Loving your well-spoken comments "nshsi"! They do take me back a bit.
    And then there were those BF Bassmans. With the right speakers, they were excellent.
    But now, a BF PR with the right speaker, and a Rivera era PR II with a great speaker are all I really need.
    Thanks! I’ve been an 8th Street Music customer since they were actually on 8th Street. My parents drove into Philly and offered to pick up that 4x12 Magnatone for me, not having any idea how big & heavy it was (hee hee). By the time I was out of college, I was friends with the owners and got some awesome deals.

They had a basement storage area that extended all the way under the building, and I got to go down there to troll for old stock a few times over the years. I think my best find was a NOS ‘67 BF Bassman 50 head that had been sitting there for about 25 years. They sold it to me for the original list price marked on the tag less 30%! That was a great amp that I enjoyed in my basement home studio for years with a ratty 2x12 cab loaded with Bag End drivers. I even took on a few gigs with my Boogie cab - it was a joy to use.

User Info Menu

I’ve been playing through a Quilter Superblock US because both my Gries 35 (Vibrolux-ish) and Ampeg have been in the shop. The Quilter is a great amp and captures the basic tone of the blackface amps pretty well, and is quite a steal at under $300 even considering you need to provide a cab. But man…I gotta say, after having it back from the shop for a couple of days, the Gries 35 just has it going on. To think for the longest time I thought I was a tweed guy at heart.