User Info Menu

I know many of you want to lighten your strings, so here you go!

I do hear a difference. The question is how much difference there'd be with a humbucker.

I won't get rid of my 13s yet. But 7s are doable with a lot of gain.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A long time ago, when I was young and strong and under the influence of Pat Martino, I strung my '68 Les Paul Custom with a custom set of 0.015 - 0.060 strings, and changed them once a year whether I needed to or not. Going on a half century of wear and tear later, I just had a set of 0.009s put on my '66 Custom Telecaster, and paid someone else to do it. I may, with effort and patience, develop the kind of finesse it takes to wail on a set of Reverend Billy G's 0.007s. Meantime, I do have a couple sets of 0.008s on hand, just in case.

My archtops are sticking for the nonce with the 0.012s I put on them, but I make no promises. I'm not getting any younger.

User Info Menu

Most notable to me is loss of "bounce" in your right hand ... Sound differences are less noticable ... But left wrist can't handle heavy gauges no more, so the highest I go to are 11s (chromes) on archtops .. Fenders are strung with 9s.

User Info Menu

I've ordered a set of Fender 8's just for the hell of it.

Decades ago I used 9's. As a teen I learned on 12's and 13's before I knew any different. I was told that Gibson flatwounds were the best strings, so I was trying to learn Hendrix on them. Further, my Firebird had high action. When I got a teacher he wondered what the hell I was doing. He lowered the action a lot and told me to buy a pack of Ernie Ball's 9's. My poor fingers thanked him alot.

I gave up almost all playing for decades with a busy adult life. About 15 years ago I got back into it and bought a used Heritage archtop. The seller told me to try very hard to adjust to 12's. I did. Now 13's are my default and sometimes I use Pat Martino's 15's.

Fender 8's will be fun though.

User Info Menu

A first string that is 70 thousandths? I’m impressed!

Danny W.